IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P/S Power Steering out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 11:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Some vendors that sell low grade products advise their customers to wrap tin foil around the ballasts to create a filter. You would not need to do this with a proper OEM quality HID kit.

Steve
This is exactly correct. There is wide variability in the quality of the electronics the aftermarket sells. Cheap stuff usually means poor EMI shielding, wide tolerances on the devices themselves meaning one unit may work perfectly, another may work like junk even though they appear to be the same internally. You really do get what you pay for...OEM is hard to beat simply because Lexus doesn't want to spend a lot of warranty time and money fixing HID related issues. They also have the ability to test placement in the vehicle to prevent EMI related problems. This kind of testing is VERY expensive which is why you can only depend on quality devices where the aftermarket designer and builder "over-engineers" to minimize the impact of poor placement.
Old 09-20-10, 02:52 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Well said. We pay a premium for the components we use in our kits which is why we cannot compete with your $50 ebay special.
Old 09-28-10, 11:30 AM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem also on the 3rd of march this year. PS went out. Turn car off and on then it worked again. Only to have it completely shut off the next time I started my car. Took it to the dealership and had the ECU fixed under warranty. Now nearly 7 months later. My PS just pooped out on me again, with no warranty left I took it to the dealership which is where its sitting at as I speak. My question is, will it be covered since this problem has occurred before? When does lemon law apply? Im here in Florida.
Old 09-28-10, 12:07 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by danger4o5
I had the same problem also on the 3rd of march this year. PS went out. Turn car off and on then it worked again. Only to have it completely shut off the next time I started my car. Took it to the dealership and had the ECU fixed under warranty. Now nearly 7 months later. My PS just pooped out on me again, with no warranty left I took it to the dealership which is where its sitting at as I speak. My question is, will it be covered since this problem has occurred before? When does lemon law apply? Im here in Florida.
Do you have aftermarket HID headlights?

Here is information about your state's lemon law: http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw/doeslemonapply.html
Old 09-29-10, 01:02 PM
danger4o5
Pole Position

Yes I do have aftermarket HID. Lexus is saying that it's not the ecu thats fried. But something to do with the steering rack? Not too sure. But what would that have to do with me losing total power to the steering wheel. Someone clear that for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-29-10, 01:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I do have aftermarket HID. Lexus is saying that it's not the ecu thats fried. But something to do with the steering rack? Not too sure. But what would that have to do with me losing total power to the steering wheel. Someone clear that for me? Thanks in advance.
Which Brand of Aftermarket HID, and where were the ballasts placed?
Old 09-29-10, 04:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

There is a torque sensing device in the steering rack which controls the power assist. On some cars with aftermarket HIDs, the torque sensing device is damaged or its signal corrupted by the aftermarket HIDs. It could be EMI from ballast placement, it could be poor filtering in the ballasts allowing back EMF into the car's power system, or a few other things related to using aftermarket HIDs.

At the root of the problem is your aftermarket lighting. It is the only thing common to all the cars having steering rack issues.
Old 10-03-10, 06:05 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

How strong are these waves and what median can it go through. Lets say the worst of the worst aftermarket ballasts. How far way from the engine does it need to be in order to be safe (in the boot)?

A kit that costs $70 vs one that cost $150, $200 $300 etc. If the emission is that strong and dangerous to the sensor, why is the technology that provide total "shielding" so cheap? If anything I would have thought $70, 150...$300 they are all the same.
Old 10-04-10, 07:41 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Cheap is relative. These days, you have companies selling HID kits operating on single digit margins. If there is a way to cut costs they will find it.

Steve
Old 10-04-10, 12:22 PM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Kyle, do you have a aftermarket HID system? I have OEM ones if you'd rather use that
Old 10-07-10, 04:17 PM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bottledfed
Hey Kyle, do you have a aftermarket HID system? I have OEM ones if you'd rather use that
Yep... But I already moved the ballasts and haven't had any problems since.

Thanks though!
Old 10-08-10, 08:27 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

aQuarius26- I love the avatar pic. I had a 99 and 2000 Type R. The 99 was stolen unfortunately... That car was by far the most fun car I have ever driven.

Steve
Old 10-15-10, 12:07 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wow this is very interesting. Ive had a similar problem but im also getting a creeking noise in my 3GS

Thread Here

From what I can remember when I installed my HID fogs from HIDExtra, the ballast for the drivers side seems to be in the same location as you describe. Did you have this issue during the day with your power steering? Seems like if the lights are off you wouldnt get the "noise" from the ballast. I have this problem whether its day or night.
Old 05-25-11, 04:50 PM
sgv2GIS
Rookie

Sorry for reviving an old thread, I wanted to contribute my experience to this thread, which has helped me immensely.

Got in my 06 IS350 this morning, no power steering whatsoever. The PS light was on. I tried turning the car on and off, didn't work. Tried pulling the battery, still no luck. Dealer said steering rack had already been replaced from the recall, and that any work would not be under warranty. I hit the CL forum hard, reading every post about this situation.

I took a chance and bought a EPS module from a local junkyard. Cost me $100. Took me all of 10 minutes to install. Worked perfectly. PS light went away, and power steering works.

I do have aftermarket HID's, but where I installed mines is no where near the EPS module. So I'm not sure if that's the cause. I took my old EPS module apart, I didnt notice any burns, funny smells or anything. Will report back if anything else happens.
Old 05-25-11, 06:26 PM
is350memb
Driver

it happened to me too. i thought we have powers steering fluid but it is electric.. ahahha

Quick Reply: P/S Power Steering out?