Print Wikipost

FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-11, 08:18 AM
CLT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marty

I'm sorry to hear about your dash, there is a trick that I use when pulling out the AC vent. Once the four tabs that hold down the AC vent are pulled down, I use a long hook tool to grab the back of the AC vent assembly and pull it forward. This way I don't even have to touch or insert anything around the dash.

I insert the hook tool into the AC vent and work my way to the back of the assembly then hook the back of it and I pull forward. Again this way you don't compromise the dash.
Old 09-03-11, 09:46 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the damage to your dash. David's method to take out the air vent is great. I didn't have a thin hook to use at the time of installation. So, I found a thin metal ruler and wrapped it with electrical tape and used it to pull out the air vent. Luckily there was no damage to my dash.

Also, Sewllparts sells pry tools to consider:
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/2034.html

I used the instructions in the link below to install my unit:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...6k-beware.html
Old 09-03-11, 12:36 PM
CLT
Former Sponsor

I have found that the BEST tool for the job is this hook tool.

Name:  hook_tool_large.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  2.7 KB

With this you just insert it through the AC vent hook the back of the AC assembly and a firm tug and the AC assembly is not without having to come anywhere near the dash!

You can find it online at most Satellite radio stores, or Snap-on tools. Mine is from Snap-on tools
Old 09-03-11, 01:10 PM
Jcar1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been considering purchasing this unit for some time now and have read through the 107 pages of this thread. I love the functionality and OEM look of the Fly Audio unit, there is nothing else like on the market. That being said, it's a shame that there are issues with both generation units, for the price I would expect simple features such as AM/FM radio to operate normally (A $50 car stereo sold at Walmart does, you would expect a near $2K unit would also). I am also not sure how a product got released not once, but twice with the temperature not displaying correctly or the radio not functioning properly, do they have as a QC department at Fly Audio? Displaying the correct temperature should be a fairly easy software update, as soon as the problem was found a fix should have been released immediately. I am pretty sure that the AM/FM signal cannot be fixed with a software update, it defiantly sounds like a hardware issue but hopefully I'm wrong. Unfortunately there is nothing else like the Fly Audio OEM look on the market because if there was it's doubtful they would sell as many units as they have, specially for Lexus.
I have waited for the second generation unit to come out thinking that is would be flawless and it's disappointing to read that there are still issues. Decisions, decisions, what to do?

Last edited by Jcar1; 09-03-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 10:39 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CLT
Marty

I'm sorry to hear about your dash, there is a trick that I use when pulling out the AC vent. Once the four tabs that hold down the AC vent are pulled down, I use a long hook tool to grab the back of the AC vent assembly and pull it forward. This way I don't even have to touch or insert anything around the dash.

I insert the hook tool into the AC vent and work my way to the back of the assembly then hook the back of it and I pull forward. Again this way you don't compromise the dash.
I pry the side of the vents because that's how I took it out 5 years ago when I installed my ipod integration kit. So I did the same but this time it seems like the dash is melting bacause when I took out my plastic tool part of the dash came off. You don't have to apologize, it's my fault. I'm not blaming anybody but me. I was rushing to take it out and install it that's why I didn't bother doing that. It seems like it's the dash material is poorly made, this also happen to my 02 IS.
Old 09-04-11, 04:56 PM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NimaM
Can someone who got iGo Primo work on their unit post the content of their sys.txt file?

Thanks
I downloaded Primo but was unable to get it working. It said it's missing file "global_cfg" when trying to start up, even though the file is there in the content folder within its own folder. I Even downloaded a global_cfg file update to replace the original one.. still no luck.

BUT, was able to get iGo8 3.5.193799 to work! downloaded some 2010 maps that i found.. need to find some 2011 maps. Got it all working last night.. still need to figure it out.

Can you run Tom Tom maps on this system too???
Old 09-04-11, 05:57 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Just started noticing this a few days ago, but I felt like if all the sound was coming from the front and not the rear. I checked and the rear speakers are really, really low. When I move the fade all the way to the rear on the FlyAudio unit, the 2 rear woofers seem like they're off. I get no bass coming from the rear at all. Even the tweeter and mid seem way too low compared to the front. The rear deck sub woofer is so low that I had to put my ear next to it to make sure it was on (it is on). There are no issues with the front speakers.

What can be causing this? I know the stock unit has a setting where you can direct the sound to the Driver, Front, Rear, or All. I don't see this option on the Flyaudio unit. Could it be some sort of settings issue, issues with the factory amp, or the speakers? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-11, 06:29 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Can you adjust the volume of your navigation?
Old 09-04-11, 07:11 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant wait to install mine, however im waiting on a new dash that the lexus will cover under good faith for me due to the melting/sticky dash, thats on back order till mid september.....im tempted to just install it for a couple of weeks, or maybe longer, since the dealer may call back and say its still on backorder...lol
Old 09-04-11, 08:58 PM
aCortIS101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexudv
Just started noticing this a few days ago, but I felt like if all the sound was coming from the front and not the rear. I checked and the rear speakers are really, really low. When I move the fade all the way to the rear on the FlyAudio unit, the 2 rear woofers seem like they're off. I get no bass coming from the rear at all. Even the tweeter and mid seem way too low compared to the front. The rear deck sub woofer is so low that I had to put my ear next to it to make sure it was on (it is on). There are no issues with the front speakers.

What can be causing this? I know the stock unit has a setting where you can direct the sound to the Driver, Front, Rear, or All. I don't see this option on the Flyaudio unit. Could it be some sort of settings issue, issues with the factory amp, or the speakers? Any help would be appreciated.
Check the harness on the baxk of the Flyaudio unit....Try unplugging it and plugging it back in.... maybe it wasn't seated in all the way
Old 09-04-11, 09:10 PM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is the same. The rear speakers are softer than the front.
Old 09-04-11, 10:21 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aCortIS101
I downloaded Primo but was unable to get it working. It said it's missing file "global_cfg" when trying to start up, even though the file is there in the content folder within its own folder. I Even downloaded a global_cfg file update to replace the original one.. still no luck.

BUT, was able to get iGo8 3.5.193799 to work! downloaded some 2010 maps that i found.. need to find some 2011 maps. Got it all working last night.. still need to figure it out.

Can you run Tom Tom maps on this system too???

Yes you can. As a matter of fact I'm running the latest Tom Tom maps (2011 Q1) on iGo 8.3 right now.

I found so many different versions of Primo and only one of them starts up (Version 9.2.0.192885), but then it freezes after like 30 seconds. For all other versions of iGo Primo I get Out of Memory error.
Old 09-04-11, 10:32 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

As another member suggested, I also think it could be the harness. Check all connections in the back. It is possible during installation one of the connections became loose since the space in the back of the unit is very crowded. My A/V harness became loose when I finished installing my Flyaudio so I had to tear apart my center console again. Plus, Flyaudio has similar functions as the stock unit that can direct the sound to front, middle and rear. My system works just like the stock unit.
Old 09-05-11, 11:23 AM
06pearlex
Rookie

My sub woofer works only when im listen to the radio, if I which it to the mp3, dvd, usb drive its seems that it wont work
Old 09-05-11, 01:30 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ISBU
Mine is the same. The rear speakers are softer than the front.
I think you're right. Looks like there's no issue with the FyAudio unit. We even put the stock unit back and it sounds pretty much the same. I set the 'P Sel' to the 'All' position on the stock unit just in case. I don't think you can control this setting with the Flyaudio unit (if there is please let me know!) I guess I thought that the rears were as loud as the fronts, but it looks like they are softer by design and just fillers. Never really sat in the rear before so never noticed.

It didn't help that I sat in my friend's car this weekend, who has a nice aftermarket system. Now my car sounds like crap compared to his!

Quick Reply: FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350