IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HID Bulb Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 12:54 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket HID Bulb Issues

Basically, I'm having trouble identifying the specific issue with my HIDs. I'm running with OEM HID equipment and replaced the low beam bulbs with XenonDepot D4S 6000K bulbs. It was the "first" batch which was also known as faulty bulbs, so a couple weeks later I was sent the "second" batch, which worked fine for a couple months.

Later, I realized both my passenger and driver's side bulbs were going out (either individually or together) probably about one minute after running them while driving. I'd have to turn off my lights and turn them back on again. So, I ordered a pair of D4S 6000K bulbs from HIDextra, they worked fine for about three days, then I realized last night that my passenger side bulb was out when I pulled up to my garage.

I've tested my OEM bulbs and they run fine. I only tested them for one week.

Considering I've gone through three sets of aftermarket bulbs, would it be possible to assume this is a ballast issue? The lights are not flickering or showing any signs before they actually go out, they just go out. I'm trying to identify the problem before spending $200+ on a new set of ballasts.

Fortunately, XenonDepot has taken the liberty to send me a new set of bulbs, again (thanks for that, Steve). I've read the OEM denso ballast is sensitive to aftermarket bulbs. Any input would be great, thanks

PS. I used search and sorry for posting here rather than the Lighting section, I just preferred input from 2IS owners
Old 11-19-09, 01:55 PM
All4sho350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the new bulbs going out? are you runnin the oem ballasts purchased with the car? i have the oem with afs hid system and my bulbs were randoming going out recently and i would have to turn them off and turn back on to get them to turn back on. i took my car in and lexus of bellevue replaced both my bulbs i havent had any problems since. and this was just a couple weeks ago. it is frustrating when it would randomly go out and id have a lazy eye or if not both would be out. so yeah bulbs first, if the bulbs are brand new and it does the same thing..check the connections on the ballst to the bulbs to make sure the connections are clean and not rusted or anything.

~Jerry