IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

my tire is worn out only in the inside for all 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 01:11 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my tire is worn out only in the inside for all 4

My tire is worn in the inside, bcuz of the negative camber. the outside looks pretty new, but the inside is almost all gone. I need new tires, but i have heard that you can switch the tires from one side to another? So putting the left one to the right and right one to the left, so i can be using outer side for each one. Is this something that is "safe" to do? bcuz 4 tires gona cost over 1grand so, if ic an just swap the tires it would only cost about 60 bux. thx if anybody has experience with this i would really appreciate it. thx
Old 11-14-09, 01:13 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I'm not too educated on this but I know its possible. Not too sure how effective/safe it would be if your insides are almost gone.
Old 11-14-09, 01:21 PM
AaronFL
Driver

I have a similar problem, check out the link below. What kind of wheel/tire setup do you have?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-problem.html
Old 11-14-09, 01:34 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you drop and did you do a alignment be4? Yes you can rotate your wheels by switching the tires.. But since you already know their Bald as hell you gotta get new tires for the winter. Not safe with the tires you're rolling with
Old 11-14-09, 01:34 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Originally Posted by AaronFL
I have a similar problem, check out the link below. What kind of wheel/tire setup do you have?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-problem.html

19x8.5 +22 235/30/19
19x10.5 +22 265/35/19

i just looked at ur thread my tires look similar to whats happening to urs.
Old 11-14-09, 02:23 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullskim
My tire is worn in the inside, bcuz of the negative camber. the outside looks pretty new, but the inside is almost all gone. I need new tires, but i have heard that you can switch the tires from one side to another? So putting the left one to the right and right one to the left, so i can be using outer side for each one. Is this something that is "safe" to do? bcuz 4 tires gona cost over 1grand so, if ic an just swap the tires it would only cost about 60 bux. thx if anybody has experience with this i would really appreciate it. thx
take it to a local wheels/tires shop and they should be able to flip the tires for you, assuming the radial belt is not already showing.

however, i believe you can only do that for symmetrical tires.
Old 11-14-09, 02:39 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Originally Posted by Phil888
Are you drop and did you do a alignment be4? Yes you can rotate your wheels by switching the tires.. But since you already know their Bald as hell you gotta get new tires for the winter. Not safe with the tires you're rolling with
Yes i am dropped pretty low, especially in the rear and yes i did get alighment done before. I live in socal so winter, summer isnt it all the same? haha also does it have to be a specific tire? or ANY tire? cuz i have the Hankook tires. thx
Old 11-14-09, 02:53 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
take it to a local wheels/tires shop and they should be able to flip the tires for you, assuming the radial belt is not already showing.

however, i believe you can only do that for symmetrical tires.
so ur sayin it cant be any tires?
Old 11-14-09, 03:20 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

asymmetric tires have different tread patterns for the inside and outside sections of the tires - usually for traction, stability, sound, and/or wear purposes. flipping the tires will effectively take the inside sections and put them out the outside sections, thus changing the tire traction and/or handling characteristics. i personally can't recommend it, but ask your local tire shop if they can/will.

OP> what kind of tires do you have?
Old 11-14-09, 03:40 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Question

Flipping = turning the tire around (180) OR switching the tires around (left tire goes on right, and right tire goes on left)
Old 11-14-09, 03:41 PM
Bullskim
Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
asymmetric tires have different tread patterns for the inside and outside sections of the tires - usually for traction, stability, sound, and/or wear purposes. flipping the tires will effectively take the inside sections and put them out the outside sections, thus changing the tire traction and/or handling characteristics. i personally can't recommend it, but ask your local tire shop if they can/will.

OP> what kind of tires do you have?
hm, i hae the hankook ventus sportk 104 tires

235/35/19 F
265/30/19 R
Old 11-14-09, 04:17 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Also happened to me. I had the exact same tire size as you. My inner tread was bald at around 20k on the tires. I also had alignment and was no help.
Old 11-14-09, 04:59 PM
AaronFL
Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Also happened to me. I had the exact same tire size as you. My inner tread was bald at around 20k on the tires. I also had alignment and was no help.
So how did you solve the isse?
Old 11-14-09, 05:17 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I guess you need a super professional alignment shop who actually does know what they are doing. I wasn't able to fix this issue because my camber was at -1.7 degrees I believe. Camber kit + alignment would fix it in my opinion.
Old 11-14-09, 05:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Question

Flipping = turning the tire around (180) OR switching the tires around (left tire goes on right, and right tire goes on left)
"flipping" tires means to unmount the tires from wheels on the same axle line and remount them on opposite sides.

for example, to flip the front tires you basically take the front right tire and mount it onto the front left wheel, and the front left tire onto the front right wheel.

Originally Posted by Bullskim
hm, i hae the hankook ventus sportk 104 tires

235/35/19 F
265/30/19 R
iirc those are symmetrical tires. depending on how much inner wear those tires have, you should be able to flip those.

Quick Reply: my tire is worn out only in the inside for all 4