IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vossen/Alignment/Wide Setup/Front Tire Wear Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 02:54 PM
AaronFL
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vossen/Alignment/Wide Setup/Front Tire Wear Problem..

First here is my setup:

Vossen 084 Machined face/Black lips
20x8.5 F +38
20x10.5 R +41

Falken FK452 235/30/20 F
Falken FK452 275/30/20 R

Eibach Pro-kit for the 350

Ive had the set for about 8 months now. Initial alignment was done by Lexus right after I put on the wheels and the springs. As you can see in the pics the insides of my front tires are being shredded eventhough I have about 70% tread left on the rest of the tire. I have taken the car back to Lexus and pointed out the issue twice. They told everything is aligned correctly, I even had some tech's come and tell me the problem is because I have a wide setup in the front and I might want to look into a chamber kit(which doesnt exist, nor would does it make sense). Now I start to feel by car vibrating when im going 80-100mph. I wanted to see if anybody else has run into this issue before or has any suggestions.

Thanks,

AP
Attached Thumbnails Vossen/Alignment/Wide Setup/Front Tire Wear Problem..-1.jpg   Vossen/Alignment/Wide Setup/Front Tire Wear Problem..-2.jpg  
Old 11-12-09, 03:05 PM
superi0ro1
Rookie

how many miles in the 8 months?
Old 11-12-09, 03:10 PM
AaronFL
Driver

Originally Posted by superi0ro1
how many miles in the 8 months?

I'd say around 10k miles, mate.
Old 11-12-09, 03:16 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire looks too small to me - Its being shredding where its being stretched... Did you get a super skinny tire for looks or because it was rubbing??

I say go with wider tires (disclaimer - I have a bias towards fatter tires as I dislike the super stretch look ) If its rubbing - get your fender rolled/cut.
Old 11-12-09, 03:16 PM
Mr. BoXer
Driver School Candidate

ohh ****
how big r the rims?
Old 11-12-09, 04:11 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happened to me I just have the tired switched from one side to the other
Old 11-12-09, 07:00 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

curious on this too, I just switched to my winter wheels yesterday and realized my front inner tire is uneven wear like that..
Old 11-12-09, 07:03 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

First of all it's not cause you have Vossen wheels that your tires are bald on the inside LOL
Old 11-12-09, 08:31 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crossing fingers it's not from stretching tires, cause I'm putting 225's on an 8.5" wide rim, which doesn't seem too atypical compared to other members on the board, and tirerack says is ok for my tire.

His isn't as much of a stretch, as he's got 235's.

Obviously offset and lowering would make a difference too, but he isn't even that aggressive (relative to others). So, maybe it's rubbing cause of the 235s.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-12-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-12-09, 09:10 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

Hey Aaron!

Here's a few tips to help you solve your problem!

1. DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER TO SOLVE THIS.
2. I would suggest taking the car to a place that knows how to deal with aftermarket wheels, and specializes in alignment.
3. It's definitely time for some new tires, remember you had them for 8 months and they were used when you bought them... I'm assuming based on the driving conditions they were put through in the last 8 months they ended up like that.

I've had more vossens on my car then I can count... and they have all been at different ride heights and different driving conditions.. I have NEVER had any of my tires end up like that.... my last set of vossens was very aggressive, and consisted of the sidewalls on my rear tires getting shredded like cheese and the fronts rubbing the frame of my car on full turns and bumps..... my tires STILL didn't look anywhere near these.

Start with number 1, and then go on to number 2. Trust me, you will get better answers then the ones the dealership gave you lol
Old 11-14-09, 07:19 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Looks like it's wear and tear. Lexus should have been able to align it back to specs properly as the Eibachs are not that aggressive of a drop. If you were in Miami, I could recommend you a few places to take it to get checked out.

As far as I can see and figure based on your description and photos, camber wear is the reason why your tires look like that. What makes it odd about the wear is that it's a little higher up on the side wall.
Old 11-14-09, 08:07 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume your tires were properly inflated, right?
Old 11-14-09, 01:03 PM
AaronFL
Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Tire looks too small to me - Its being shredding where its being stretched... Did you get a super skinny tire for looks or because it was rubbing??

I say go with wider tires (disclaimer - I have a bias towards fatter tires as I dislike the super stretch look ) If its rubbing - get your fender rolled/cut.
Yea the tires are skinny, not for looks but to prevent from non stop rub-a-thon.

Originally Posted by windex
this happened to me I just have the tired switched from one side to the other
Good idea, but I was looking for a permanent solution.

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
First of all it's not cause you have Vossen wheels that your tires are bald on the inside LOL
First of all, NO. Secondly, SHI T

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Crossing fingers it's not from stretching tires, cause I'm putting 225's on an 8.5" wide rim, which doesn't seem too atypical compared to other members on the board, and tirerack says is ok for my tire.

His isn't as much of a stretch, as he's got 235's.

Obviously offset and lowering would make a difference too, but he isn't even that aggressive (relative to others). So, maybe it's rubbing cause of the 235s.
I dont think this is directly related to streching because many other members have the same setups but I have never really seem anybody experience this type of an issue.

Originally Posted by djkhanvict
Hey Aaron!

Here's a few tips to help you solve your problem!

1. DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE DEALER TO SOLVE THIS.
2. I would suggest taking the car to a place that knows how to deal with aftermarket wheels, and specializes in alignment.
3. It's definitely time for some new tires, remember you had them for 8 months and they were used when you bought them... I'm assuming based on the driving conditions they were put through in the last 8 months they ended up like that.

I've had more vossens on my car then I can count... and they have all been at different ride heights and different driving conditions.. I have NEVER had any of my tires end up like that.... my last set of vossens was very aggressive, and consisted of the sidewalls on my rear tires getting shredded like cheese and the fronts rubbing the frame of my car on full turns and bumps..... my tires STILL didn't look anywhere near these.

Start with number 1, and then go on to number 2. Trust me, you will get better answers then the ones the dealership gave you lol
Khanvict I know you've had more vossen's with streched tire setups than anybody else on the board, so thank you for your insight. I was actually planning to takethe car to an aftermarket type wheel shop next week. I do drive my car somewhat agressively, however, I still think the root of the problem is related to the alignment/camber. Once again the tires do have about 70% tread left of them, so it sucks to dump them this soon. I will probably switch to Nitto's all around now also since the tread on rear tires is shot all around.

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Looks like it's wear and tear. Lexus should have been able to align it back to specs properly as the Eibachs are not that aggressive of a drop. If you were in Miami, I could recommend you a few places to take it to get checked out.

As far as I can see and figure based on your description and photos, camber wear is the reason why your tires look like that. What makes it odd about the wear is that it's a little higher up on the side wall.
Not sure when I will be in S Florida again mate, but thanks for the offer. From what the bafoons at Lexus are telling me the alignment is correct, but if I have to get another alignment done elsewhere I will definitely present them with the invoice. It might be a little difficult to see in the pics, but the reason why the wear seems higher on the sidewall is because the tires are streched on the wheel a bit.

Originally Posted by montgb
I assume your tires were properly inflated, right?
Your assumption is correct, sir.
Old 11-14-09, 06:17 PM
MiniCobra1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AaronFL
I'd say around 10k miles, mate.
I've never ran the Falkens, but I know on my Z and Mini (both have slight neg camber)
if I don't rotate my tires every 4K, I will get some uneven wear, not quite as bad as that though. I would definitely never go to 10K before rotating side to side on a directional tire. With an aggressive fitment and a slight stretch on the tire, I would rotate the tires more often.
Old 11-17-09, 11:14 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

The whole reason for this is because you don't have PANELS under your hood.

Quick Reply: Vossen/Alignment/Wide Setup/Front Tire Wear Problem..