IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bubbling/Corrosion on front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 05:18 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bubbling/Corrosion on front wheels

I brought my 06 IS350 in to the service department today for routine maintenance, and to have several concerns addressed. My rear wheels are perfect, but the fronts have started bubbling and peeling around the center caps. The bubbling started when the car was about a year old, and has gotten worse over the past few years.

The dealer ordered two new front wheels without question, which was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting them to refinish them in spots, with a chance for further issues in the future.

Just FYI for anyone having this problem. Even if you don't think you are, take a very close look at the stock wheels near the center caps and make sure you don't have bubbling under the paint.

On an unrelated note, I told them not to touch my front floormats, and the service advisor explained that a new memo was just released that advised the dealers to check to make sure the mats are firmly seated on the hooks. They are no longer removing mats from cars, adding zip ties, or doing any other crazy band-aid fixes for a problem that doesn't really exist.
Old 01-01-10, 05:19 AM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same paint bubbling on my 17" IS250 AWD rims. All 4 of them are affected, but 2 are definitely much worse.

All 4 were replaced yesterday by the dealer. The process was a bit lengthy... I had to call Lexus Corporate, and a couple of phone calls to the Service dept "customer satisfaction manager". But, hey, as any of you that worked in Corporate America, sometimes that's how the way things goes. Just be polite and firm - never get upset.

Anyways, this paint bubbling on rims seems to be a common problem with a particular wheel supplier to Toyota/Lexus. You can see the problem also on Lexus GX SUV cars (I saw a couple customer cars in the service parking lot). Yet, I do not see it on IS350 18" rims.

Also, I don't know if you notice, but Toyota Sienna (Van) XLE or Limited (the top of the line model) alloy wheels have the same issues - but not the LE. They have different style alloy wheels.

Lexus/Toyota surely knows about this... aw come on, I can figure it out. There is a particular wheel supplier that have issues with either their Quality Control or with their mfg process.

Now they may not just announce to anybody to replace the rims... they will wait for the customers to ask. If you own Toyota/Lexus, wouldn't you do the same?
Old 01-01-10, 06:04 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

My 17" alloys were affected as well and I got them changed but only after I called corporate a few times.

I also saw some Toyota Rav4's with this issue as well.
Old 01-01-10, 06:43 AM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Actually one cool feature that corporate Lexus has is the chat function.

I have used it and it works as good, or better than a phone call. It helps clarify situation and remember conversation on a written chat rather than verbal phone call.
Old 01-01-10, 09:14 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gainesvill
Actually one cool feature that corporate Lexus has is the chat function.

I have used it and it works as good, or better than a phone call. It helps clarify situation and remember conversation on a written chat rather than verbal phone call.
Can you please post a link to this chat function?
Old 01-01-10, 10:32 AM
spicaly
Driver

sounds like an excuse for me to order some aftermarket wheels lol
Old 01-01-10, 01:32 PM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myLexRX
Can you please post a link to this chat function?
http://www.lexus.com/contact/

There is an option to do a chat under "ONLINE"
Old 04-18-11, 04:02 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually getting my rear wheels replaced now due to the peeling / bubbling issue. The front ones were replaced last year right after I bought my IS. Also, thank goodness for the CPO warranty...when they were switching out the tires one of the tire pressure monitor sesnsors "seized" so it's getting replaced under warranty as well.
Old 04-18-11, 07:19 PM
Numbahz
Driver

Originally Posted by Pnthrzrule
I'm actually getting my rear wheels replaced now due to the peeling / bubbling issue. The front ones were replaced last year right after I bought my IS. Also, thank goodness for the CPO warranty...when they were switching out the tires one of the tire pressure monitor sesnsors "seized" so it's getting replaced under warranty as well.
Hmmm.. I wonder if the lexus platinum warranty covers this issue as well, Its worth a try I just gotta wait til that warranty kicks in next month since I just purschased the vehicle last month. I got a small list of things on the TSIB list I would like to get fixed hopefully I can get em all !
Old 04-18-11, 07:46 PM
SPNinjA
Lead Lap

I took it upon myself to call Lexus corporate too. They ended up telling me that it was going to be up to the dealership. Well, we all know what happens when it's left up to the dealership. They wanted me to pay $200 (which is not that bad) and they will cover the rest to get them all refinished. I'm still thinking about doing it but not sure if I"m going to now since I'll only be using them as my winter set.
Old 04-18-11, 08:03 PM
561Lexus
Driver

Had the same problem... brought to the dealer... all 4 wheels replaced
Old 04-18-11, 08:19 PM
Veritasxe
Driver School Candidate

Any one managed to get them replaced while the vehicle was out of warranty? Particularly in the GTA?
Old 04-19-11, 07:28 AM
561Lexus
Driver

If it seems like an issue that has just happened (not as a result of a tire shop butchering your rims) you can definitely call up Lexus Customer Service and they will look into it. I have had many things replaced out of warranty after going through them, they really are the best and they actually follow up with you! 1-800-255-3987 (Option 2)
Old 04-19-11, 08:42 AM
99slvr35th
Rookie

Have the same issue, I'm on the phone with them now ....

hold for update.......
Old 04-19-11, 08:54 AM
99slvr35th
Rookie

they said they will call me back in 3-5 days. They asked me to get a quote from the dealer to replace them, not sure what they will do though.

Just got qoute - $2,718 for 3 wheels, no tires...holy.....

Last edited by 99slvr35th; 04-19-11 at 10:10 AM. Reason: price qoute added

Quick Reply: Bubbling/Corrosion on front wheels