IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What happens if I dont change my oil filter...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 10:54 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Up to the top line/dot!

Koz
Old 10-23-09, 11:30 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
it's the other way round....

if you have syn oil, you can keep the oil for 10K and change the filter every 5K.......
LMAO
im screwed...lol
Old 10-23-09, 12:10 PM
lilbluu
Driver

Originally Posted by Koz
Up to the top line/dot!

Koz
engine on or off?
Old 10-23-09, 01:12 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbluu
engine on or off?
Off. This isn't a transmission. It's an engine.
Old 10-23-09, 01:13 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

engine on or off?
Sounds like you should take a basic car maintenance class at your local community college
Old 10-23-09, 11:20 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Check my guide. I used the closest thing to the Lexus SST(Special Service Tool) which I found at Walmart for much less. The other filter ranches like the belt thing and the pliers are useless on the housing.

Also, as you probably found out, the filter can be changed at any time since it's on a different level from the main oil pan. So only the oil-filter oil will drain out and not everything. When you add oil, make the sure the engine hasn't been running for at least an hour, so that the oil could have time to drain back down. Or else you will get an incorrect reading and might overfill the engine.
Old 10-24-09, 06:12 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Check my guide. I used the closest thing to the Lexus SST(Special Service Tool) which I found at Walmart for much less. The other filter ranches like the belt thing and the pliers are useless on the housing.
I had the same wrench you picture in your post, and swore by it until the plastic broke at the wrong time, leaving me with a bloody hand.

It's worth the effort to get the TOY640 or similar.
Old 10-24-09, 10:08 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bichon
I had the same wrench you picture in your post, and swore by it until the plastic broke at the wrong time, leaving me with a bloody hand.

It's worth the effort to get the TOY640 or similar.
Agreed...

In a jam, I have used this below wrench successfully as well..

Toyota dealerships (like Longo) also see a generic version of the SST oil filter cap, for approx. $8

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-24-09 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 06:28 AM
Koz

engine on or off?
You can ONLY check the oil level when the engine is NOT running.

Koz
Old 10-25-09, 06:34 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
LMAO
im screwed...lol
The oil filter does NOT have to be changed every 5K miles. I have UOAs with 12K miles on the oil and OEM filter that were still providing safe protection.

Koz
Old 10-25-09, 11:42 AM
lilbluu
Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Sounds like you should take a basic car maintenance class at your local community college
Yeah, Im obviously not a mechanic or even close to one.
Old 10-25-09, 07:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyLexus
You can use the filter a little longer but I personally wouldn't. You could always do the old screwdriver trick. Hammer it through the end of the filter, and turn it.
This I gotta see. Please come to Atlanta and demonstrate this, or better yet, how about you stab your OWN 2IS filter with a screwdriver? Make a video so we can all see it on youtube and laugh hysterically when you spear the filter with a screwdriver and completely ruin the upper oil pan.

You don't know BEANS about a 2IS do you?

Folks, if you don't know the model, just be quiet. This kind of advice is completely useless and definitely dangerous if someone unfamiliar with a cartridge oil filter takes it to heart.

The only worse advice I've seen for a repair was a complete idiot advocating repairing a nicked brake line with electrical tape.

To the OP - FWIW, you can remove the filter housing with large channelock pliers. It won't be pretty and if you're clumsy, you'll scratch the heck out of the housing, but it can be done pretty much the same as what JoeZ posted. Yes, I have actually done this in a pinch and I can do it without damaging anything but I wouldn't expect most junior mechanics to leave the housing unscarred.
Old 10-25-09, 10:29 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gents .... it's a LEXUS. I've been driving for over 40 years and I just don't want to have to purchase the oil, filter, and wrench, crawl under the car to drain the oil and remove the filter, fill the crankcase with the new oil, bottle up the used oil, and take it to a recycling station. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT on 60's and 70's era Detroit iron.

I make an appointment with my Lexus dealer for an early morning appointment, drive down to the Lexus dealer and watch TV, read the WSJ and have a muffin and juice while they change the filter and oil. Then I'll pay the $50 charge with points that I've earned on my Lexus Visa card. Cost to me.....ZERO. For those that like fooling around on their cars go ahead and do it yourself. But I'm past that. I DON"T DO OIL!!!
Old 01-15-10, 03:44 PM
YoungMoney
Rookie

I think the incredible hulk did my last oil change... because I cannot get the filter housing loose.

I didn't just go out there and "give it a shot" either... I've literally been attempting to open this filter housing for 3 hours. Nothing I used could get it to budge.

#1 - "F" wrench from autozone, (POS I know). Broke within 1 minute.
#2,3,4 - Another generic 64mm wrench. I actually bought three just in case any broke... they all did. Well 1 broke and the other two just stretched out and will spin around the filter with any pressure.
#5 - Strap oil filter wrench... not budging.

Wtf? At this point I've put 200 scratched in the housing, it's likely stripped to hell and back as well. Very disappointing, but after about 2 hours I just lost it and tried 10 times in a row to get it off with a wrench I knew was slipping.

I know I need a SST or TOY640; however, unfortunately it will take days to ship to me... so I'd like a quick option (although at this point, I don't know if it exists). I read lots of DIYs, threads, FAQs and while I grasped that it would be difficult to get off... I can't find anyone mentioning this kind of hell.

So I started at 3:30pm, its now 6:30pm and all I have is an undrive-able car with no oil sitting on jackstands
Old 01-15-10, 03:48 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

i dont know why these morons dont put a nut at the end of the filter housing like the k&n filters have.

Quick Reply: What happens if I dont change my oil filter...