IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

condensation/water in headlights... normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 03:53 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... thats some crazy explanation about the condensation by the stealership. uve gotta give them credit for creativity! Ive seen this problem on old G35s and its not very eye friendly. lol
Old 04-19-12, 08:06 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 've got some condensation on my 2007 RX 350 (driver side). The car is out of warranty. Called local dealer. They said this is not good and should be repared (replasing the whole headlight assembly) It can be covered by warranty if the mileage is less than 50K. Otherwise $500 + labor + tax. This will be brand new headlight set up which is another problem. Since my the other one is kind of aged a bit the new one will differ from the old one and it will look ugly.
Old 04-19-12, 08:11 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Hi everybody! Can the sealing be done without removing the headlight?
Old 06-08-12, 05:53 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

I fixed the problem MYSELF. No dealer! No replacement! Saved $$$$$$!! No more condensation!
Old 06-12-12, 07:33 PM
tomtom8989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
I fixed the problem MYSELF. No dealer! No replacement! Saved $$$$$$!! No more condensation!
Hi Alfa777z,
Can you share with us how you fixed the problem yourself. I'm dying to know.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-12, 08:00 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

this is straight bull****. I would definitely raise hell if they tried to play me like that...
Old 06-13-12, 04:51 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomtom8989
Hi Alfa777z,
Can you share with us how you fixed the problem yourself. I'm dying to know.
Thanks in advance.
Well, first I tried to seal the edges of the headlight without removing it (whatever was reachable from the top). I used clear DAP® auto/marine sealant 100% RTV silicone from Pep-Boys. It didn't work. I figured the leak is in unreachable place and I have to remove the whole assembly. Before you open any bulb hoses, make sure you work in dry environment and there is no humidity in the air. Remember! You CAN NOT remove the headlight safely (not breaking tabs) without removing the bumper or at least have it loose from the side where the bad headlights is located. Unplug all wires. Unscrew all screws of the headlight. There are 5 of them. I'm talking about 2 gen RX. 4 reachable from the under the hood and 1 from the wheel under the fender. Gently push the unscrewed end of the bumper up front and down and remove the headlight assembly. Dry it out from inside. I didn't have too much time to wait until it would dry out naturally, so used some hose assembly attached to heat-gun. Use the sealant I mentioned above to seal the headlight all around it. Let it dry. Assemble the headlight in back order. I do not guarantee it will work. The chances are 50/50. It really did work in my case. It's been almost 2 months since the repair, there were different weather conditions and there is absolutely no moisture inside. I hope I did help. Good luck.

Last edited by Alfa777z; 06-14-12 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 06:35 PM
tomtom8989
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
Well, first I tried to seal the edges of the headlight without removing it (whatever was reachable from the top). I used clear DAP® auto/marine sealant 100% RTV silicone from Pep-Boys. It didn't work. I figured the leak is in unreachable place and I have to remove the whole assembly. Before you open any bulb hoses, make sure you work in dry environment and there is no humidity in the air. Remember! You CAN NOT remove the headlight safely (not breaking tabs) without removing the bumper or at least have it loose from the side where the bad headlights is located. Unplug all wires. Unscrew all screws of the headlight. There are 5 of them. I'm talking about 2 gen RX. 4 reachable from the under the hood and 1 from the wheel under the fender. Gently push the unscrewed end of the bumper up front and down and remove the headlight assembly. Dry it out from inside. I didn't have too much time to wait until it would dry out naturally, so used some hose assembly attached to heat-gun. Use the sealant I mentioned above to seal the headlight all around it. Let it dry. Assemble the headlight in back order. I do not guarantee it will work. The chances are 50/50. It really did work in my case. It's been almost 2 months since the repair, there were different weather conditions and there is absolutely no moisture inside. I hope I did help. Good luck.
Hi Alfa777z,
Thanks for responding and sharing what you did.
Old 06-15-12, 06:30 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

You are welcome. We all have 2 choices. Whether to go straight to the dealer to spend $$$$ and the problem will be solved 100%, or at least try to do it ourselves saving big money, but gambling with the final result. I choose the second choice and I got lucky.
Old 09-25-12, 11:29 AM
boblbu
Driver School Candidate

I have an 07 RX350 with moisture in the drivrs side headlamp assembly. I took it tgo the dealer and he said it needed to be rplaced at a cost of $1,900!!! He lsosaid that this was a common problem with these cars and recommended that I call Lexus Customer Satis faction for assistance. I did today an am awaiting a response in 2-3 days. The dealer said he could not seal the headlamp assembly and if it doesn't get fixed theadaptive headlamp motor will rust and become inoperable. Never thought I'd experience such shuddy build from a Lexus. The car is garaged so this IS a defect. If they don't fix this problem, I'm done with Lexus and all Toyota products!

Originally Posted by nirav325
hey guys.
so ive had this problem a few times now. in my passenger side headlight, water keeps appearing inside. i know this is from the seal being broken and it is A REALLY BAD THING BECAUSE IT MAY CAUSE MY BULBS TO BLOW.

everyone i speak to tells me this is NOT a good thing and I should get it checked ASAP

i have gotten it checked 3 times by my local lexus dealership. and they told me, and i quote "this is natural. it is part of the technology in the light for it to have condensation and water". They also assured me that the bulb will not blow due to this condensation and water. The other odd thing is that this only occurs on the passenger side, NOT the drivers side.

has anyone else come across something like this? or am i being taken for a ride? I asked my adviser to give me a letter in writing explaining the circumstances so that if my bulb does end up blowing, i can show them.

Let me know what yall think!

Thanks
Old 09-25-12, 07:51 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boshi
I got condensation in mine from removing the back housing and putting in V-LEDS DRL and not putting the cover back on
I went to my local dealership and they ordered me a new set of headlights ($1600) at no charge
covered by warranty FTW
Did anyone else catch this?

It sounds like this guy modded his car...failed to replace all the parts...then swindled the dealership into fixing it for free.

How is this right?

Now I understand why some dealerships are so picky about giving out free work.

I hope I'm just reading the post wrong.
Old 09-26-12, 04:45 AM
nonford
Rookie

My wifes 2010 IS had condensation in the passangers sides assembly. They were more than happy to replace it. No problems with Park Place Lexus Grapevine. In fact, this dealership is stout!!!
Old 09-26-12, 05:29 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boblbu
I have an 07 RX350 with moisture in the drivrs side headlamp assembly. I took it tgo the dealer and he said it needed to be rplaced at a cost of $1,900!!! He lsosaid that this was a common problem with these cars and recommended that I call Lexus Customer Satis faction for assistance. I did today an am awaiting a response in 2-3 days. The dealer said he could not seal the headlamp assembly and if it doesn't get fixed theadaptive headlamp motor will rust and become inoperable. Never thought I'd experience such shuddy build from a Lexus. The car is garaged so this IS a defect. If they don't fix this problem, I'm done with Lexus and all Toyota products!
I had this in my 08 RX just out of warranty called Lexus care and got a one time good will offer, cost me only $250 to change the assembly. Mine was the passenger side and the RX has always been in the garage.
Old 01-30-14, 03:42 AM
olson109
Driver School Candidate

Default how did you open it?

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
I have this every now and then but I have holes drilled in the cover for aftermarket hid's..

I actually opened my drivers side one time and found a small puddle of water in the housing. I stuck a paper towel in to absorb it and it went away and it hasnt happened since.
I want to open mine also. can you tell me how?
Old 01-30-14, 06:58 PM
modlife
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI - Dealer should replace. They just ordered both for me (they said they wouldn't want one to be slightly newer than the other!), also, they ordered a pair for my 2004 rx330 and mentioned that the problem is with the American made lights, and said they'll replace for free... He just had to send lexus pics of them holding water

Quick Reply: condensation/water in headlights... normal?