IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Understanding VIP style!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 04:06 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Understanding VIP style!!

I know many of us are mislead or just dont understand the concept of VIP style. Sometimes when we mod our cars we are working towards something thats unique or just straight up different!! Read on(GOOGLE)

VIP styling is a style of vehicle modification. The term VIP car (pronounced "vip" like whip) originated in Japan to describe the modification of certain luxury car models, such as the Toyota Aristo and Nissan President, to give them a more distinctive look. While only modified versions of these specific high-end cars can technically be called VIP cars, you can apply VIP style to just about any car.
  1. Get a car. VIP styling generally begins with a large, rear-wheel-drive luxury sedan. In the U.S., Lexus and Infiniti sedans are the most popular platforms for VIP modification, but European imports such as Mercedes are growing more common, and even American cars are sometimes done up in VIP Style.
    • Unless you're a purist, the model of car isn't as important as how it looks. People are increasingly applying VIP styling to Kias, Scions, and even minivans, but you want a flawless car, not a beater.
    • VIP cars are traditionally black, white, grey or silver. Try to find an appropriate car in one of these colors or have it professionally painted one of these colors. If you're not too concerned about the constraints of tradition, you can choose any color you like.
  2. Lower the car as far as it will go. There are a couple of ways to lower the vehicle. Probably the most popular now is the use of air suspension, since many of the high-end models that are modified into VIP cars already come equipped with air suspension. Since factory air suspension won't allow you to lower the car enough, many enthusiasts install a special air control system. Coilovers can also attain the desired lowness. Try to minimize the distance between the wheel and the fender.
  3. Install very wide, low-offset custom wheels. The wheels are perhaps the most important characteristic of VIP styling. Oversize (18-20") wheels are essential. Another almost-universal trait is that the wheels should be flush with the car's fenders, which requires a very low wheel offset (rear-wheel drive vehicles typically have a lower offset than front-wheel drive vehicles, but most VIP-styled cars have even lower offsets). Negative camber angle (the angle between the vertical axis of the wheel and the vertical axis of the vehicle, as viewed from the front or rear) is also very common. Wheels with large lips are common, but not essential.
  4. Mount smaller than recommended tires on the wheels so the tires pull away from the wheel's mounting edge. Tires are usually stretched dangerously thin on the wheels, as tire stretching (hipari) allows a flush, or close to flush, wheel to fender fit. The idea is not to tuck the wheel into the fender but rather have the lip of the wheel as close to the fender's edge as possible. Only the tire is tucked in, while the wheel is emphasized.
  5. "Widen" the car. VIP-style cars should be not only low, but also wide. A body kit can enhance both of these features. Add a body kit that emphasizes the car's lines while adding presence. Go all out with a full aero kit, or, at the very least add a lip kit.
  6. Customize the interior. VIP style exudes luxury inside and out. Curtains on the windows are very popular, as are custom leather seats, floor mats (fur, anyone?), an accessorized dash, custom lighting and wood grain trim throughout. Tint the windows in either green or black to keep prying eyes out.
  7. Install a high-end audio system and electronic accessories. A VIP-style car without a quality system just won't do. While a trunk full of subs is a good start, focus also on fitting your car with video and audio accessories to give it all the comforts of home. From electronic gauges to a DVD player to a navigation system, screens and monitors give the car the look of the luxury spaceship.
  8. Add the personal touch. While there are certain conventions that should be followed when modifying in VIP style, there's plenty of room for your individual tastes. From custom taillights to interior accessories, there are plenty of options to set your car apart from the rest.
  9. Don't forget the tassles.
  • Be aware that many individuals have different interpretations on what VIP styling is about. For example, some people believe they should have loud exhaust systems while others believe only certain models of car are suitable for this kind of modification and still others like their cars as quiet as they are sleek.
  • For many people, performance isn't usually a big issue in VIP styling. Most traditional VIP cars are already finely tuned for performance, and so traditionally this has not been much of a concern. While custom exhausts are popular, they are often more for the look than for the performance.
  • Newer VIP styling kits are not tall or exaggerated at all. Kits from companies such as Junction Produce, AimGain, Mode Parfume, Wald, and Anceltion can even be difficult to distinguish from stock to the untrained eye.
  • Looking for other VIP style enthusiasts? You can find out more by searching online, and there are many sites with forums and photo galleries. These sites are also a great way to meet other people in your area and find out about VIP style events.
    • VIP kits and modifications can be expensive, up to $20,000 or more. Don't try this if you're on a budget.
    • Tire stretching and modifications to camber angle and wheel offset can negatively affect a vehicle's handling. Drive your VIP style car with care--even if it's fast, because if not properly set up, it's probably not safe for racing.
Well hope this will help towards everyone's project

Last edited by Phil888; 10-02-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-02-09, 04:11 PM
YooNiBaLL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great DIY. : D
Old 10-02-09, 04:18 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Agree^^ The concept VIPish is so hard to understand when you dont do it right.
Old 10-02-09, 04:33 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

too much to read for me do you have cliff notes?
Old 10-02-09, 04:33 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be yourself, don't follow a list to be something specific, and don't call yourself names like VIP.
Old 10-02-09, 04:46 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Why is "VIP" capitalized if it's not an acronym?
Old 10-02-09, 04:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice recap of the VIP.
Old 10-02-09, 04:47 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

^^ well im just trying to give others ideas of that they are working with. Yeah of course always be yourself when you're modding. Its how the outcome comes out when others judge you and your ride for some reason. Atleast some will know the TERM of VIP
Old 10-02-09, 05:04 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

i think to be truly "VIP" you have to go 100%.

For example building a "track" car. If you build a track car you just dont put in a roll cage and add a turbo. 100% "track" means you have to gut it, bigger brakes, tighten up the suspension, aero, engine mods, etc.

In my opinion to "VIP" out a car you have to do the whole sha-bang. Meaning AGGRESSIVE wheels, kit, low suspension (usually air now), "bling-bling" cup holders, suede headliners, speaker upgrades, tv's, JP pillows, curtains, etc.
Old 10-02-09, 05:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil888
Well hope this will help towards everyone's project
note that this will only apply to those looking to pursue this style.

however, i would imagine that VIP purists would disagree that the 2is qualifies for the VIP style, since the style is mostly applicable to large rear-whee-drive luxury sedans.
Old 10-02-09, 05:09 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
note that this will only apply to those looking to pursue this style.

however, i would imagine that VIP purists would disagree that the 2is qualifies for the VIP style, since the style is mostly applicable to large rear-whee-drive luxury sedans.
i think it so hard to really say WHAT IS AND WHAT ISNT "VIP". Whos to say a 2IS isnt VIP. I know some japanese that believe honda odyssey can be VIP. i myself find it hard to look at some cars as being VIP capable but then someone comes around and builds this beast and im almost forced to think "VIP".
Old 10-02-09, 05:17 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Wierdazndu
i think it so hard to really say WHAT IS AND WHAT ISNT "VIP". Whos to say a 2IS isnt VIP. I know some japanese that believe honda odyssey can be VIP. i myself find it hard to look at some cars as being VIP capable but then someone comes around and builds this beast and im almost forced to think "VIP".
^ true. as such i specified that traditional VIP purists would not think of the 2is as having a VIP-worthy platform.

obviously, your example demonstrates otherwise, as well as the below quote:

Be aware that many individuals have different interpretations on what VIP styling is about.
again, to each his own.
Old 10-02-09, 05:19 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

^^ i understand what youre saying
Old 10-02-09, 07:17 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The only true Toyota/Lexus platforms that made it over here are the GS and LS. In Japan, they have more platforms that never made it over here like the Crown that qualify. The key determination on platform is the large real wheel drive cars....as someone already noted.
Old 10-02-09, 07:58 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

look.. can we not get into the VIP/VIPStyle discussion on the 2IS board? If you wanna know what VIP/VIPStyle is.... goto VSC, they have all the 'know it all's' there who will TELL YOU what is correct and what isnt... I DON'T WANT that here on the 2IS section... besides there is a VIP section here at CL, go there~ some of them seem to 'know it all' here too...

*mods please move this thread to the VIP section as this is the wrong board*

Last edited by llamaboiz; 10-02-09 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Understanding VIP style!!