Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

The Great Debate: Five Axis S5:F or Linea Corse DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 08:34 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I myself would rather have the authentic article rather than something that was made with questionable fit, finish, quality and origin. It's just like tires, you won't catch me putting inferior brand tires like Nankang, Federal, Nexen, Vredestein and etc. on my car. You get what you pay for...and it does shine once something happens and the product fails or is subjected to the abuse of daily driving.
If quality is the question then the Five Axis should also be question not just Linea Corse to be fair.
Old 09-30-09, 08:43 PM
lexus is08
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

linea corse dyna all the way....
Old 09-30-09, 08:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Phiber
If quality is the question then the Five Axis should also be question not just Linea Corse to be fair.
Very good point, but theres a difference between developing your own wheel and copying an existing design. Five Axis wheels are designed and engineered in house and have their own unique look. It's just like kit cars for example, compared to the real thing, they will never look, perform or feel like the real thing. Think Ferarri vs. Pontiac Fiero.

When I was younger, and my budget was limited, I had a set of wheels that were styled after the Volk SE37A's. Sure they looked like the real thing at a fraction of the cost, but one small pothole later, they were damaged beyond repair. You get what you pay for. It's as simple as that.
Old 09-30-09, 08:48 PM
creemail
Driver

For S5 owners and LCD owners, feel free to add your pics to thread...

Cree
Old 09-30-09, 08:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

ExclusivIS' IS F w/Work Varianza T1S. Click on pic for original thread.

Old 09-30-09, 08:50 PM
creemail
Driver

Nice!!!

Cree
Old 09-30-09, 09:26 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JVT
This is actually a good discussion/topic.

But if you guys want to pay for my daughters Stanford University tuition, along with my mortgage payment, put more money into my company, etc...then fine, I'll buy the real BBS wheels while you guys pay for my other bills.

And I saw a sig from ROMINI (I believe) "you should be embarass/ashame for rocking reps" My reply, the only time you should be embarass/ashame is when you do something wrong, such as talk back to your parents, hurt someone you love, ignore your child, light up a crackpipe, etc... PERIOD!!!
There is nothing to be embarass/ashame when it comes to saving money...in fact you should be proud. I'm sorry there are companies that make replicas, but at the same time I'm thankful as well.
OUCH Joe~~I don't go to Stanford Univ. but I have an idea of how much their tuition cost
now u can get a little taste of how I feel when I have to support myself, pay for my tuition, pay for my housing and my car, and still manage to mod my IS just a little bit.......LOL it's FUN~~!!!!!

To OP,
when it comes down to purchasing something for your car, IMO what matters the most is YOUR opinion. Who cares what other people like and who cares what they say? You are the one paying for it, so you should figure out and make a decision. IMO your decision should not depend on other's preference but I'm pretty sure you already know that

with that said, those two rims have totally different look. One gives you very aggressive look while the other gives you a nice FAT LIP (it looks good in person too )
so your decision should really depend on what your plans are for your car
rims will definitely change the look of your car, but not every rims look good on every bodykit.and those look even change depending on how much you drop your car...

so let us know what your plans are, and maybe we can assist you to make the BEST decision

Replicas are ok IMO. everyone has different priority in their life and some people choose to spend their money on something else
do whatever you want to do to your car, it's all good as long as you are happy with it
(BUT, I agree with Javy that you shouldn't expect to get all the OOH~~and AAHH~~when you rock on the replicas,,,and you already know why )
Old 09-30-09, 09:31 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Very good point, but theres a difference between developing your own wheel and copying an existing design. Five Axis wheels are designed and engineered in house and have their own unique look. It's just like kit cars for example, compared to the real thing, they will never look, perform or feel like the real thing. Think Ferarri vs. Pontiac Fiero.

When I was younger, and my budget was limited, I had a set of wheels that were styled after the Volk SE37A's. Sure they looked like the real thing at a fraction of the cost, but one small pothole later, they were damaged beyond repair. You get what you pay for. It's as simple as that.
I won't reiterate my point that show most of the new designs on wheels have literally been copied for decades. I'm still flabbergasted that people actually think these "designs" are unique; Most of their heritage can be traced back tens of years. I think people need to go check out some old Hot Rod magazines, etc. If a company has a unique design, then there are legal ways to protect there intellectual property.

What I would say is that it's not as simple as "you get what you pay for". There are literally thousands of examples of items that cost more but are cheaper (in quality). Is BMW more reliable than a comparable Lexus because it costs more? Yes, that's a simplistic example, but "you get what you pay for" is also a simplistic statement. If "in house" design and "engineering" = quality, why are we driving Lexus and not a Ford or GM product?

Computers have come down thousands of dollars because of technology improvements, manufacturing improvements, and frankly efficiencies in corporate expense overhead. Simply paying more for a computer from manufacturer A over manufacturer B does *not* guarantee quality. This example can definitely be applied to numerous aftermarket auto manufacturers who have improved their manufacturing process and/or improved corporate infrastructure to lower their price on products.

Now if someone can *prove* that a particular product has better customer service, better quality and therefore costs more, I can totally get behind that. However, saying "you get what you pay for" implies that simply paying more gets you better quality and I'm sure we've all had numerous experiences that prove that is definitely not true.

I honestly have no affiliation with either of these vendors (and I don't have either of their products), but I think putting them down (by implying they are inferior or a replica) without some very hard statistical data is wrong.
Old 09-30-09, 09:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks alone, I like 5Axis.
Old 09-30-09, 09:45 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rebs
What I would say is that it's not as simple as "you get what you pay for". There are literally thousands of examples of items that cost more but are cheaper (in quality). Is BMW more reliable than a comparable Lexus because it costs more? Yes, that's a simplistic example, but "you get what you pay for" is also a simplistic statement. If "in house" design and "engineering" = quality, why are we driving Lexus and not a Ford or GM product? .
I agree~!!!
the phrase "you get what you pay for" does not really apply at all times
did you all know the godly HRE wheels was banned from certain racing league due to their poor performance?
"Just a warning, please be diligent in regularly checking your HRE's (and other aftermarket wheels).

Interesting tid-bit. Talking to IMSA and Viper Racing League sterwards. found HRE's are banned ...

in both series due to too many failures.

NINE, yes NINE failures in one race weekend Vipers.

Apparently the PCA is on their way to banning HRE's as well.

The racers have always called them "Fools Fashion" and i thought that was a little rough until I started seeing them fail at track events and how easily they bend and corrode.

Then, after Leslie had problems with hers corroding and I spoke with one of the owners, I realized quickly they were WAY out of reality as to strength and design.

Wasn't really surprised that they were banned (was at the meeting), but was surprised at ALL the problems reported.

Unreal for such an expensive wheel."

you can find out more about it just by googling it
so do you still believe in "you get what you pay for"??
I believe one of the drivers died during the race due to the accident caused by the rims, and I BET he did not pay for that

and also some people might be on their budget and maybe replicas is all they can afford. Budget is very very limited when you live with your parents
Old 09-30-09, 10:04 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
OUCH Joe~~I don't go to Stanford Univ. but I have an idea of how much their tuition cost
now u can get a little taste of how I feel when I have to support myself, pay for my tuition, pay for my housing and my car, and still manage to mod my IS just a little bit.......LOL it's FUN~~!!!!!

To OP,
when it comes down to purchasing something for your car, IMO what matters the most is YOUR opinion. Who cares what other people like and who cares what they say? You are the one paying for it, so you should figure out and make a decision. IMO your decision should not depend on other's preference but I'm pretty sure you already know that

with that said, those two rims have totally different look. One gives you very aggressive look while the other gives you a nice FAT LIP (it looks good in person too )
so your decision should really depend on what your plans are for your car
rims will definitely change the look of your car, but not every rims look good on every bodykit.and those look even change depending on how much you drop your car...

so let us know what your plans are, and maybe we can assist you to make the BEST decision

Replicas are ok IMO. everyone has different priority in their life and some people choose to spend their money on something else
do whatever you want to do to your car, it's all good as long as you are happy with it
(BUT, I agree with Javy that you shouldn't expect to get all the OOH~~and AAHH~~when you rock on the replicas,,,and you already know why )
IMO.... best post in this thread
Old 09-30-09, 10:08 PM
lexus is08
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree~!!!
did you all know the godly HRE wheels was banned from certain racing league due to their poor performance?
"Just a warning, please be diligent in regularly checking your HRE's (and other aftermarket wheels).

Interesting tid-bit. Talking to IMSA and Viper Racing League sterwards. found HRE's are banned ...

in both series due to too many failures.

NINE, yes NINE failures in one race weekend Vipers.

Apparently the PCA is on their way to banning HRE's as well.

\\

The racers have always called them "Fools Fashion" and i thought that was a little rough until I started seeing them fail at track events and how easily they bend and corrode.

Then, after Leslie had problems with hers corroding and I spoke with one of the owners, I realized quickly they were WAY out of reality as to strength and design.

Wasn't really surprised that they were banned (was at the meeting), but was surprised at ALL the problems reported.

Unreal for such an expensive wheel."

you can find out more about it just by googling it
so do you still believe in "you get what you pay for"??
I believe one of the drivers died during the race due to the accident caused by the rims, and I BET he did not pay for that

and also some people might be on their budget and maybe replicas is all they can afford. Budget is very very limited when you live with your parents
kenny i could have not said it any better...
Old 09-30-09, 10:50 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rebs
I won't reiterate my point that show most of the new designs on wheels have literally been copied for decades. I'm still flabbergasted that people actually think these "designs" are unique; Most of their heritage can be traced back tens of years. I think people need to go check out some old Hot Rod magazines, etc. If a company has a unique design, then there are legal ways to protect there intellectual property.

What I would say is that it's not as simple as "you get what you pay for". There are literally thousands of examples of items that cost more but are cheaper (in quality). Is BMW more reliable than a comparable Lexus because it costs more? Yes, that's a simplistic example, but "you get what you pay for" is also a simplistic statement. If "in house" design and "engineering" = quality, why are we driving Lexus and not a Ford or GM product?

Computers have come down thousands of dollars because of technology improvements, manufacturing improvements, and frankly efficiencies in corporate expense overhead. Simply paying more for a computer from manufacturer A over manufacturer B does *not* guarantee quality. This example can definitely be applied to numerous aftermarket auto manufacturers who have improved their manufacturing process and/or improved corporate infrastructure to lower their price on products.

Now if someone can *prove* that a particular product has better customer service, better quality and therefore costs more, I can totally get behind that. However, saying "you get what you pay for" implies that simply paying more gets you better quality and I'm sure we've all had numerous experiences that prove that is definitely not true.

I honestly have no affiliation with either of these vendors (and I don't have either of their products), but I think putting them down (by implying they are inferior or a replica) without some very hard statistical data is wrong.
Sure you can't reinvent the wheel but you certainly can improve on it's design and function. Wheel design has come a long way from a simple machine to what it is now. There are good reputable companies that spend millions on developing the latest the time and money to R&D wheels to fit their spec and standards. Sadly there are companies out there that are in the business out there that just take a particular design, tweak it a little to avoid copyright infringement and sell it for a fraction of the cost.

Because the standard of quality of a Lexus and Toyota for that matter are beyond what Ford or GM produces. Consumers are confident in buying reputable brands. Sure many companies copy each other in design and tech, but people will buy what best fits them. Sure "you get what you pay for" wont apply to every single thing we buy, but it's a fact consumers have more confidence in buying wheels from a reputable company with a very strong reputation versus something that is produced by an unheard of company and makes wheels that have the look but costs a lot less.

Now with all these new pop-up "Your Name Here" Forged Wheel Company...that's a whole new discussion all together.

Judging by this poll, being a 60/40 split, it's obvious most people here favor a unique design vs. the replica.
Old 09-30-09, 11:08 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I agree~!!!
Funny you mention that article, but i'm pretty sure the race team involved in the unfortunate accident was 100% sponsored by the wheel company... either HRE or Kenesis. Also not to defend the "Your Name Here" Forged Wheel companies, but most people buying these rims or any rims for that matter are not subjecting their wheels to hours of high heat and heavy force in racing conditions. A large portion just have them on their weekend warrior or daily driver.
Old 09-30-09, 11:11 PM
LexFather

Yeah the HRE event was blown up by the internet and HRE/high wheel haters....They continue to be in business, they expanded to a beautiful new one piece light racing wheel and a very new Carbon Fiber Shell wheel.

We disproved what happened in the wheel forum years ago.

Quick Reply: The Great Debate: Five Axis S5:F or Linea Corse DYNA