Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

The Great Debate: Five Axis S5:F or Linea Corse DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 04:43 PM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
While I agree that there are only so many rimes you can reinvent the wheel, most companies at least try to carry designs that are unique. Then there are companies that SPECIALIZE in copying popular wheel designs and capitalizing on the hard work and success of others. To compare a company like Work to Linea Corsa is a complete joke, and is a complete slap in the face to the companies who actually put in the R&D money as well as the marketing dollars to make their products successful. Everyone is more than welcome to spend their dollars however they like, but don't buy knockoff wheels and expect to get any compliments from anyone who actually cares about the automotive aftermarket industry. Get them because YOU like them and you don't care what other people think, because that's the hill you'll have to climb.

Javier
How much R&D do you think was involved when Work made the T1S, which is a copy of the HRE 891R

Your ignorance is disgusting
Old 09-30-09, 04:49 PM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

Here are some more flattering angles on the Dyna in hyper black:

Old 09-30-09, 04:51 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Talking

That's a tremendous oversimplification of a problem that is driving LEGITIMATE aftermarket companies into the ground. BBS and RAYS make wheels that have been used in REAL competition for years. Did they invent the mesh and the 7-spoke design? Of course not, but they made superior QUALITY products, spent the money to prove them in F1, JGTC, Indy Car, ALMS, etc... and infused design elements that made it their own. The copies of these wheels very conveniently include these subtle design cues, so to say that just because "they're not the first makes it okay" is a bit naive. As I said before, we're all free to spend our money however we like, but I'm not going to give money to companies who steal designs, name it something else, and pass it off as their own.

Javier
I guess I don't understand how a business that purchases a business license pays taxes and does business legally is not "legitimate". Nor do I understand how if a product is not used in competition that it somehow makes any product fake.

If BBS, Rays, Volk, Work, etc., work is so superior capitalism will take over because the consumer will purchase their products, and if their work is so original they can legally protect it and sue anyone who infringes on their work. ;-)

I did visit the fakewheels.com website. I find it somewhat absurd considering most of those design have literally been around for decades, but I guess that website only covers similar designs within 1-2 years. However, I have to admit if I find a style of wheel I like that's not at a reasonable price point, I may use it to look for competitors with similiar quality and design.

One thing I love about our society is the concept of a free market, and there are plenty of tools in place to protect businesses intellectual property, so let the best man win.

Last edited by rebs; 09-30-09 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammar (again). lol
Old 09-30-09, 05:06 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by WheelDude.com
How much R&D do you think was involved when Work made the T1S, which is a copy of the HRE 891R

Your ignorance is disgusting
Way to take one sentence of what I said, take it out of context, and turn a calm, mature discussion into a name-calling contest. None of what you just wrote changes the fact that your company specializes in the copying of popular wheel designs. I, as a discerning consumer, choose not to support such activity. I'd prefer that you perform any further name calling in PM format directly to me.

Javier
Old 09-30-09, 05:30 PM
WheelDude.com
Former Sponsor

Way to take one sentence of what I said, take it out of context, and turn a calm, mature discussion into a name-calling contest. None of what you just wrote changes the fact that your company specializes in the copying of popular wheel designs. I, as a discerning consumer, choose not to support such activity. I'd prefer that you perform any further name calling in PM format directly to me.

Javier
I did send you a PM as well
Old 09-30-09, 05:36 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A
X
I
S

A tighter race than I expected - the LCD looks decent.

Last edited by montgb; 09-30-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 05:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

5axis for me. i like the design for one, and on the other hand, never LC for me. they clearly know what they are up to with their products so i don't need to go further

i surely don't mind people rocking knock offs, let it be car parts or jeweleries or clothing or accessories. it's their business, not my money, and in the end i can really care less. like some have said, it's about your needs, your justifications, and what please you. but that won't change my perspective on certain people who rock knock offs neither, especially those who try to pretend to have the real stuff.

just like another line in my sig -- if i can't afford them, i might just as well rock it stock.
Old 09-30-09, 06:11 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Agreed. I don't think anyone here is calling a replica buyer a "loser," but you should buy them for the right reasons (see my first post). By the same token, you shouldn't expect to buy some replicas, come to a luxury automotive enthusiast forum, and expect to "show off" your replicas and get ooohs and ahhhs.

I knew when I posted my first reply I knew that this was a lighting-rod topic, and many people have strong feelings one way or the other. This is how I feel - I accept that other individuals do not feel as I do, and appreciate the opposing points of view.

Javier
That's the problem with our society. Some people who rock the authentic stuff get a high hearing ooohhs and ahhhs. And it shouldn't be that way bro. Life is not all about the bling. To me, life is about living a good life and being true to yourself.

I definitely respect everyone's opinion, but at the same time I'm disappointed to see sigs that say "people who rock replicas should be ashame". I seriously feel that is uncalled for...and I lose respect for that person.

I don't wish for this to happen to anyone, but if you are broke, homeless, and hungry. What do you feed your children, 4 BBS LMs with 4 Pirelli tires as dressing? Or do you feed them with pair of carbon fiber Recaro seats? And who gets to sleep in the back seat, mom, dad or the kids? Again, it's not all about the bling to get noticed.

None of us own BBS, Volks, Works or Linea Corse company. So fighting over a company we do not own is worthless. What was that old saying, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Anyway, lets all chill and just enjoy the nice cars we all drive.
Old 09-30-09, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JVT
That's the problem with our society. Some people who rock the authentic stuff get a high hearing ooohhs and ahhhs. And it shouldn't be that way bro. Life is not all about the bling. To me, life is about living a good life and being true to yourself.

I definitely respect everyone's opinion, but at the same time I'm disappointed to see sigs that say "people who rock replicas should be ashame". I seriously feel that is uncalled for...and I lose respect for that person.

I don't wish for this to happen to anyone, but if you are broke, homeless, and hungry. What do you feed your children, 4 BBS LMs with 4 Pirelli tires as dressing? Or do you feed them with pair of carbon fiber Recaro seats? And who gets to sleep in the back seat, mom, dad or the kids? Again, it's not all about the bling to get noticed.

None of us own BBS, Volks, Works or Linea Corse company. So fighting over a company we do not own is worthless. What was that old saying, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

let me correct you a little bit here. the statement is "rocking knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site", i never said "rocking knock-offs is shameful". if you can't figure out the difference between the two, you have very very serious issue.

as i have always said, i have no problem with people rocking knock offs, they have their needs, i can care less. but on a car enthusiast site, that's like shooting yourself in the foot. it's as simple as you get on a watch enthusiast forum where people all talk about rolex, omega, etc..., and then you start talking about buying fake rolex. if that makes sense to you, then there is nothing else i can say. but it's VERY different from saying anyone having rolex knock offs are shameful. please do get the point very clearly without taking it out of context.

at the same time, car modding is a luxury hobby imho, it's hardly ever necessity. if anyone has to compromise on daily living necessity in order to modify cars, those people lose every respect from me. life is definitely not about bling (i don't care about those people neither), but you just have to do what's "right". everyone's "right" could be different, that's just something we all agree to disagree. for example for OP, if styling is his main concern, and the price range of the LC much better fit his needs, then by all means.
Old 09-30-09, 06:43 PM
creemail
Driver

WOW! This is now considered the great debate. I love everyone's view point.

I'll chime in here...

First of all, everyone has a choice. I just happen to have a budget near $1000 for wheels. I am not concerned if someone can tell that I have knock-offs. 98% of the general public wouldn't know anyway. Only 2% of CL members would know the difference. However, I understand someone saying, "If you buy a Lexus, you can certainly afford, $3k-$4k wheels". It's only logical to equip your Lexus vehicle with a luxury wheel brand.

Choice is buying a Toyota Camry SE for over $30k fully loaded or get a Lexus IS250 that is a base model for the same cost. The Camry is equivalent in size to the GS350, rather than the IS250. By getting a Lexus you sacrifice size/comfort, but you have the luxury name. Camry owners will come back and say I would rather have ride, comfort, and size over luxury.

So it depends on who you talk with....

Cree
Old 09-30-09, 07:02 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted Dynas.

I like the design better even if they are a copy of a copy. They're a few pounds lighter than the 5 Axis wheels too.

Also, I'm not a fan of 5 spoke design wheels. Has a dated, 90's look to it.

On the other hand, if the S5:F's had at least an extra set of spokes, I would choose 5 Axis.

Last edited by S to the K; 09-30-09 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 07:37 PM
JVT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
let me correct you a little bit here. the statement is "rocking knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site", i never said "rocking knock-offs is shameful". if you can't figure out the difference between the two, you have very very serious issue.

as i have always said, i have no problem with people rocking knock offs, they have their needs, i can care less. but on a car enthusiast site, that's like shooting yourself in the foot. it's as simple as you get on a watch enthusiast forum where people all talk about rolex, omega, etc..., and then you start talking about buying fake rolex. if that makes sense to you, then there is nothing else i can say. but it's VERY different from saying anyone having rolex knock offs are shameful. please do get the point very clearly without taking it out of context.

at the same time, car modding is a luxury hobby imho, it's hardly ever necessity. if anyone has to compromise on daily living necessity in order to modify cars, those people lose every respect from me. life is definitely not about bling (i don't care about those people neither), but you just have to do what's "right". everyone's "right" could be different, that's just something we all agree to disagree. for example for OP, if styling is his main concern, and the price range of the LC much better fit his needs, then by all means.

So you think by saying "rocking knock-offs is shameful on a car enthusiast site" is better than what I said? You should thank me for making you look less of a fool. Cause what you have on your sig is saying that members rocking replicas are not worthy of being in a car forum or being called a car enthusiast at all. You should be ashamed of yourself...it's not like you have an ENZO, Bugatti, Bentley, etc...parked in your multi-million dollar home.

Anyway, I'm not hear to make enemies, like you, I'm just voicing out how I feel about haters. I'm done.

Back to topic...
Old 09-30-09, 08:12 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JVT

I agree. I don't know why people on clublexus is so uptight about replicas. Majority of the things on sale on e90post is replicas. They have such a huge market to choose from which I sometimes wish it is the same for the Lexus crowd. For example, if you want a carbon fiber front lip, it cost $500 straight from the dealer. Get the exact same thing but in replica is $200. Looks exactly the same and fits the same. Which one would be the more reasonable one to buy?

Rominl, Your comparison with rolex don't make much sense. Since we are not driving a replica IS250/IS350. To compare the situation apple to apple is like talking about upgrading a different bezel on the rolex to blue instead of red with a non OEM part. But instead a replica from China of some sort.
Old 09-30-09, 08:14 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

i thought this was about five axis vs lcd...
Old 09-30-09, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I myself would rather have the authentic article rather than something that was made with questionable fit, finish, quality and origin. It's just like tires, you won't catch me putting inferior brand tires like Nankang, Federal, Nexen, Vredestein and etc. on my car. You get what you pay for...and it does shine once something happens and the product fails or is subjected to the abuse of daily driving.

5 Axis would be my choice on this one.

Quick Reply: The Great Debate: Five Axis S5:F or Linea Corse DYNA