IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus should have paid the entire cost of the repair?
Yes they should pay 100% -this was a design defect
62.88%
No - Offering to pay 50% was fair
27.27%
No-they should not pay anything, the car was out of warranty--too bad
9.85%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

My Lexus nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 06:17 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is hella expensive, mine is a 06 too
if that ever happens to me i dont think i have the cash for it
Old 09-20-09, 06:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

As a Lexus LS owner continuously for almost 20 years and being a shareholder in Toyota Motor Company and also owning a Toyota brand vehicle, my opinion is that the Lexus division of TMC should pay 100% of the cost of this repair.

A previous poster said his dealer mails him information about TSIBs. That's a new one on me. I have never heard of a dealer notifing customers that a TSIB existed -- only safety recalls where notification is required by the NHTSA.

This was a serious and needless product defect. The HVAC drain designs on cars have been a known design problem area for decades and most manufacturers resolved their HVAC drain issues long, long ago. There was nothing you could have done to prevent the drain from clogging up.

Also, I see nothing in either the original erroneous TSIB or the revised version that mentions the removal of the transmission to fix this problem.

That the entire A/C unit has to be removed to fix this drain problem is a sign of a very poor design. Back in the 1980s, I personally fixed similar HVAC drain problems on Japanese cars in less than 15 minutes.

Attached are the original and revised TSIB's. Good luck.
Attached Files
Old 09-20-09, 09:18 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My 06 is in its last year of warranty...seriously thinking I should have a chat with my dealer to find out if this is a common problem so I can get the TSB performed. My past history with cars dictates that the drain will clog the first day out of warranty.
Old 09-20-09, 09:27 AM
kbkura
Driver

Hey Kansas, just wanted to re-confirm that, yes, indeed, my dealer does call me about TSIBs. I purchased the car CPO from Lexus of New Orleans and they made sure to inform me twice of missing TSIBs and recalls (multiple TSIBs each time).

I'm not saying every dealer does this, but just sharing that mine does and maybe you could ask your service rep to send you a reminder or something when a new one comes out. Maybe my guy is just extra nice?
Old 09-20-09, 09:35 AM
francisco2
Driver

It would be fair if they pay for everything. I have exactly the same car.
Old 09-20-09, 10:43 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbkura
Hey Kansas, just wanted to re-confirm that, yes, indeed, my dealer does call me about TSIBs. I purchased the car CPO from Lexus of New Orleans and they made sure to inform me twice of missing TSIBs and recalls (multiple TSIBs each time).

I'm not saying every dealer does this, but just sharing that mine does and maybe you could ask your service rep to send you a reminder or something when a new one comes out. Maybe my guy is just extra nice?
I'm surprised more dealers don't do this - they're essentially creating work for themselves by doing so. My dealer was all over the two service campaigns (fuel rail, rear brakes) earlier this year, because people aren't spending as much on "recommended service" items as they used to.
Old 09-20-09, 05:15 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Guess you're a company man.
You guessed right. I'm an entrepreneur. I own several businesses in the region.

And kbkura... it is not common practice for a dealership to perform a TSB as a preventive measure. Spinelli Lexus around my neck of the woods does it but they are under no obligation to do so. A TSB is not preventive.
Old 09-20-09, 05:45 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps part of your issue is that you were unaware of the TSB. Lexus released the TSB so Lexus paying half is more than nice of them. If you want to take it up with someone, you would argue with your dealer about no forwarding the information to you. Though really, just before you were out of warranty you probably should have checked to see if there were any outstanding TSBs.

File it under live and learn.
Old 09-20-09, 07:47 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faymester
Perhaps part of your issue is that you were unaware of the TSB. Lexus released the TSB so Lexus paying half is more than nice of them. If you want to take it up with someone, you would argue with your dealer about no forwarding the information to you. Though really, just before you were out of warranty you probably should have checked to see if there were any outstanding TSBs.

File it under live and learn.
Are you saying that with that information, I may have opted to extend the warranty? Otherwise, being aware of the TSB would not have made any difference--Lexus/and or the Lexus dealer will not perform the TSB for this repair as a preventive measure just because the car is still under warranty--it's only done if and when a problem occurs and the car is still under warranty.
Old 09-20-09, 08:03 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikez
Wow this is not good, I am in the 60k mile range.

Do you know how can I tell if this applies to me or not?

I feel bad man, you should of been 100% covered.
Thanks. If you look at the TSB, it only affects cars produced before the design was changed. The TSB shows which VIN numbers have the original design.
Old 09-21-09, 08:12 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like your dealership has gotten used to you paying for the extra ordinary labor rates for their services and were probably surprised to see you make a stink. Dealerships like this earn the Stealership name. Your car should be fixed with no out of cost expenses to you less fuel for their loaner IS or RX. Good luck.
Old 09-21-09, 08:31 AM
spicaly
Driver

thanks for the heads up and tsbs

i'm going to keep a closer eye on mine now and make sure if it needs to be done, its while the car is still under warranty
Old 09-21-09, 08:41 AM
tmaung
Driver

Default Lexus Customer Service

Call up the 1800 lexus number. For a different problem, I went to the dealership and they said it is my fault (partly) and they quoted 1.5k for the repairs. I called up Lexus corporate and complained about it and they told the dealership that they will repair it for free. Took my car in about 2-3 weeks and problems solved. You just have to talk to corporate yourself. Since it is a TSB, they might do it. But just tell them that you just paid 3k for 60k service (most of it is bs fees).
Old 09-21-09, 08:48 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

i would have deff talked to a service manager although it is a desighn prob and did cause a prob in your car you are out of warranty. With enough *****ing and complaining you might could have gotten all covered. I prob would have told them i dont want the carpet changed as it sounds like they were ripping you off for doing that you could have saved some money there. Since technically they dont have to do anything at all since you are out of warranty i would deff take 50% over nothing at all. Pretty sure most dealerships would have told you to pound sand.
Old 09-21-09, 12:51 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how many Toyota/Lexus/Scion products do you currently have (or have previously had) in your household? Also, do you do most/all of your servicing at a Lexus dealer?

I ask because these are factors Toyota/Scion usually considers for "Goodwill." I can't speak on behalf of Lexus, but I would imagine the criteria is similar.

I'm trying not to be biased here, but I'd say since Lexus truly had zero obligation to cover anything, as the vehicle is out of warranty, 50% is a pretty fair deal. I am really curious though about my above questions.....

Sorry you had to go through that experience--I know I would have been mad too, but 50% coverage is better than nothing. And as others mentioned, I'd be really curious to see how other brands compare to "goodwill" or out of warranty assistance.

Quick Reply: My Lexus nightmare