Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 08:11 AM
Buya02
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You need 10 clips total. Each package came with 5. It is super easy to do. Just rip out the old moldings, use some needle nose plyers to pull out old clips, use a exacto knife to cut out excess glue (black), press in the new clips until they click, then insert the new molding starting the bottom working all the way to the top (make sure they click in place).
Old 12-31-14, 04:33 AM
DC5spd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield trim

I have a rock chip on my windshield in the driver side. I am planning to have my windshield replaced. Any how, is it pointless if i take my care to the dealer to get this replaced under TSB and then replace my windshield?
Old 01-16-15, 01:58 PM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by badx33
Do you mean the plastic molding on the roof that runs on the side?
My bad. I rarely log in to this site. It's the side moldings on the left and right of the windshield. Under it is a rubber weather strip that runs from the top of the roof to the bottom of the windshield and end by the hood. Depending how bad it it is you might notice some cracks mores so on the bottom.
Old 02-11-15, 04:30 PM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Just wanted to thank mistered and brociouz for the pics and instructions. It took me an hour because of the debris and glue. Other than that pretty simple DIY. The only thing I did different was use a trim tool to wedge the clip so I could fit the pliers through to grip and pull.

As others have said, Factory warranty covers drip moldings. Not CPO warranty or Extended warranty. I had to call Lexus Corporate to complain and they authorized a $200 credit which I used to buy the parts to do it myself. Taking the TSIB to the dealership didn't do crap for me.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement-img_3613.jpg   DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement-img_0292.jpg   DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement-img_7302.jpg  
Old 02-12-15, 05:26 PM
Lexiala
Driver School Candidate

Default All of my moldings are cracked and chipping!

Originally Posted by deestyle28
Just wanted to thank mistered and brociouz for the pics and instructions. It took me an hour because of the debris and glue. Other than that pretty simple DIY. The only thing I did different was use a trim tool to wedge the clip so I could fit the pliers through to grip and pull.

As others have said, Factory warranty covers drip moldings. Not CPO warranty or Extended warranty. I had to call Lexus Corporate to complain and they authorized a $200 credit which I used to buy the parts to do it myself. Taking the TSIB to the dealership didn't do crap for me.

Do you have the factory warranty on yours? Or did they authorize just for the simple fact that there is a TSIB out? New to this "complain to corporate" type of thing... But my local dealership is really pushing me to take that route when it comes to their terms of "freebies".... Smh
Old 02-13-15, 09:51 AM
deestyle28
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexiala
Do you have the factory warranty on yours? Or did they authorize just for the simple fact that there is a TSIB out? New to this "complain to corporate" type of thing... But my local dealership is really pushing me to take that route when it comes to their terms of "freebies".... Smh
I bought my car CPO and I have an extended warranty till 2017. CPO and Extended warranties do not cover rubber parts as they are normal wear and tear items according to Lexus. The TSIB is VIN specific. My VIN was not listed. Check your VIN against the TSIB. They said because I had all my maintenance services done at Lexus, they were willing to offer me the $200 credit. So I think I got lucky. There is a stipulation. The credit will probably cover the parts alone but you will need to pay for labor. Corporate said in order for me to get the $200 credit I had to have them install it which the dealership charges $250/hour. I went back to the dealership and asked if I could do the install myself and they said they could not. A lot of back and forth and they were willing to accommodate but I had to sign an agreement that any damages that was caused by me will not be covered in the future. ie. to the windshield/modlings/etc.

It doesn't hurt to ask. We all paid a good amount for our cars. Quality should be shown in their builds. But it seems like they were cutting corners. From fuel leak sensors to carbon build ups to melting dash...it's horrible. Hopefully, you will get a rep that is nice enough to help you. Good luck!
Old 03-29-16, 02:29 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Back from the archives. I am doing this repair. I have always hated to see the torn windshield trim!

Ordered my set from mylparts, we have a discount with code "CL5", 5% in addition to the discounted prices. Free shipping with $250 and up. Good pricing.

I am need some advise on repair techniques.
Old 07-09-16, 12:23 AM
skydog180
Driver School Candidate

Hey there, new to the forum.. Will this windshield trim kit fit my 2005 IS350 L? thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-16, 09:56 AM
jvah1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Arghh... +1 on cracking my windshield

Appreciate all the info here. Bought the Lexus trim kit. Sure enough, it seems the windshield had been replaced before and the re-used trim was deeply set into windshield glue. Sure enough, trying to pull and pry it up I went a bit too far with a flat head and cracked my windshield.

I'm having Safelite replace it, and I'm hoping at the time of the install they will use the new clips and trim I purchased and just install it when they put everything back together.

I'm not sure how that trim would of come out. I could of cut the trim but there is a fin that was in the glue, so even had I cut it I'm not sure I'd be able to get out the base.

I'll keep you posted, but man does the humiliation sting when you do something so stupid! (I felt a little better reading other people had done the same thing).
Old 07-22-16, 12:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^If you provide the new clips and trim, I'm sure they'd much more be willing to install the new parts than the old ones. It's just an easier install than reusing the old ones.
Old 07-22-16, 01:58 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I did my replacement of the roof drip molding and it was hard not to damage the old clips. The clips are designed to be a 1 time use. I know they are steep in price however it was so much easier to destroy the old, meant cut it up so you can yank it our easier. The new clips just slid in like butter. and then it was time to snap in the molding. Wow, what a huge difference.
Old 08-07-16, 09:35 AM
realjack
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Techniques in removing plastic tabs

After reading many posts regarding difficulties in removing the plastic tabs, I have come up with my own methods of removing the tab safely and quickly under 5 minutes. The tricks are:
  1. Grab the side end of the tab.
  2. Try to bend while pulling
  3. Jiggle and not hard pull
Many thanks for the original post.

Originally Posted by mISteRED
I just finished installing the driver’s side molding today and it is pretty easy. If you buy the new pieces you can pretty much tell how the molding is held on to the front pillar. There are 5 clips (75545-53010 $3.98ea) and the molding piece RH (75551-53020 $37.13) or LH (75552-53020 $37.13). Both of the pieces are not made to be installed and removed they are pretty much one time use parts so when you are removing them don’t worry about breaking them. After you remove the molding and clips make sure you clean the track between the windshield and the pillar to get the small broken pieces out so the new pieces can be seated cleanly. You need to make sure new clips fit all the way down when you reinstall them you may need to trim some of the original window glue that may have squeezed out into the clip area. After everything is clean and the new clips have been installed you can install the new molding piece by locating the hook (this is the part that is usually broken) into the lower edge of the body down by the lower corner of the windshield and then just work your way up the molding piece. I have had the driver’s side molding piece break every winter, I think because of the cold. I am tired of bringing it to the dealer to fix and this will probably keep happening so I figured I better figure out how to fix it to save having to pay the dealer. It really is pretty easy to do, I took some pictures when I was doing the fix but I can’t figure out how to load them into this post. If anyone wants to give me the 411 on that I will get them loaded up. Good Luck.
Greg
Old 12-15-16, 08:27 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CL MEMBER STRIKES AGAIN! THANK YOU ALL!

Parts ordered from:
http://parts.autonationtoyotasouthaustin.com

Part#
RH: 75551-53020 x 1
LH: 75552-53020 x 1
Clips: 75545-53011 x 10

Process:
1) rip off the side black molding with both hands. yes, literally rip them off! (Expect excessive broken pieces flying around)
2) use a flat nose plier and yank off the old blue clip. (Expect excessive broken pieces flying around)
3) use a flat head screwdriver (mini) to clean excessive debris down towards the hood, and blow off dust.
4) install blue clip until click
5) install side molding inserting from bottom towards the tops, by pressing down each segments until clicks.
6) total time about 20 mins

Summary:
Overall, i think the process is a lot easier than i expected. Worth it? for the cost of goods i don't think it's worth it unless you're like me hoping to keep the car for another 200k.
The following users liked this post:
MikeyStyle (05-15-20)
Old 12-15-16, 09:53 AM
808newbie
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive seen a few show cars that had old windshield trim. as nice as the 2is is, it is kind of a turn off lol. i have a hard time ignoring it especially when its cracking top to bottom and pieces are falling off

its a quick, easy and cheap fix to do. and brings back that stock trim look.

for those that are wanting to save a few extra bucks. you may be able to salvage the clips if the trim is removed properly. but i would recommend just getting the clips to make everything new
Old 12-15-16, 02:30 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree, but nearly $150 bucks DIY is nonetheless...PRICY!

Originally Posted by 808newbie
Ive seen a few show cars that had old windshield trim. as nice as the 2is is, it is kind of a turn off lol. i have a hard time ignoring it especially when its cracking top to bottom and pieces are falling off

its a quick, easy and cheap fix to do. and brings back that stock trim look.

for those that are wanting to save a few extra bucks. you may be able to salvage the clips if the trim is removed properly. but i would recommend just getting the clips to make everything new

Quick Reply: DIY: Windshield Molding/Trim Replacement