IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Keyless entry battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 09:51 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry battery

Hi, my battery for my IS is running low. I am getting notification from the car saying it is low, how long does it usually last when it says low? where can I get the battery from? I tried to use the search function but didn't find much...

Oh Also, should I skip my 2nd oil maintenance? I read it before saying that the 2nd oil maintenance can be skip and won’t have any problem? I did my first one at 4k, and now it is at 9k I am getting the message for oil maintenance.
Old 09-04-09, 10:05 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Don't quote me on this one but there should be a jack somewhere in the car, probably next to the OBD port where you can plug the thing in and it will recharge. At least that's how it is on my mother's Altima... not sure about the F, never had that problem before.

As for maintenance, never skip it. There's nothing good that's going to come out of skipping an oil change.
Old 09-04-09, 10:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Hi, my battery for my IS is running low. I am getting notification from the car saying it is low, how long does it usually last when it says low? where can I get the battery from? I tried to use the search function but didn't find much...

Oh Also, should I skip my 2nd oil maintenance? I read it before saying that the 2nd oil maintenance can be skip and won’t have any problem? I did my first one at 4k, and now it is at 9k I am getting the message for oil maintenance.
The search function turned up this for me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...2-battery.html

In the above thread there is another thread, and withen that another thread, all three contain info on the key fob battery.

Don't Skip your oil changes

Lou
Old 09-04-09, 11:45 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Sweet, I just bought mine from ebay 2.50 for 5 batteries.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TRK:MEBOFFX:IT

Should I take my car back to the dealer for the oil change or elsewhere? Trying to save money, I read the DIY too much work : /
Old 09-04-09, 05:32 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, I just bought mine from ebay 2.50 for 5 batteries.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...TRK:MEBOFFX:IT

Should I take my car back to the dealer for the oil change or elsewhere? Trying to save money, I read the DIY too much work : /
Dealer will charge somewhere around $50 for an oil change. Still too much work for the DIY?

I do mine every 3k. Its really quite easy, but if you aren't mechanically inclined, have a set of ramps (or are real skinny), you are best off to find a decent shop to do it for you.
Old 09-04-09, 05:43 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

sorry if this is off topic, btw can you drive the car without the key?
the car was in my driveway and i was outside, my friend went into the driver seat and he drove like 6feet
Old 09-04-09, 10:16 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Ya you can, you can drove off the car for a few miles before it turn off itself, that's what I read in here. Every done that? no lol
Old 09-04-09, 10:17 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Dealer will charge somewhere around $50 for an oil change. Still too much work for the DIY?

I do mine every 3k. Its really quite easy, but if you aren't mechanically inclined, have a set of ramps (or are real skinny), you are best off to find a decent shop to do it for you.
I know it is alotta money right there lol, I believe it's pretty easy taking a ranch and take the cap off at the bottom and let the oil leak. I dont' know I dont' have access to a set of ramps to do that.
Old 09-05-09, 05:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Ya you can, you can drove off the car for a few miles before it turn off itself, that's what I read in here. Every done that? no lol
You can drive a lot more than a few miles, as it does not turn itself off. You can drive it until it is turned off, stalls, or runs out of gas. Moral of the story: don't leave the car unattended while it is running.
Old 09-05-09, 07:12 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, lots of horrible information here...
1) You can drive for as long as you want once you start the car and remove the key from the car. Only when you turn the car off does it not start again with a key. You can see how that's important because if you were in the middle of the freeway and your key runs out of battery or Rihanna throws your key out of the car, you don't want to be shut down.

2) There is no recharge port, but your key will work when it's out of juice if you hold it really close to the start button. The only way to recharge is to replace the battery.

3) I think I remember you, jimjaix, as somebody that did a lot of very short trips in very cold weather. If that is true, you actually probably need to double up your oil changes instead of skipping them.
Old 09-05-09, 11:53 AM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Man, lots of horrible information here...
1) You can drive for as long as you want once you start the car and remove the key from the car. Only when you turn the car off does it not start again with a key. You can see how that's important because if you were in the middle of the freeway and your key runs out of battery or Rihanna throws your key out of the car, you don't want to be shut down.

2) There is no recharge port, but your key will work when it's out of juice if you hold it really close to the start button. The only way to recharge is to replace the battery.

3) I think I remember you, jimjaix, as somebody that did a lot of very short trips in very cold weather. If that is true, you actually probably need to double up your oil changes instead of skipping them.
i LOL'd at the Rihnanna part
Old 09-05-09, 08:29 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

LOL,

I decided to do the oil change myself, I am gonna have my dad set up ramps for me so I can let the oil drain. How long does this complete process take?
Old 09-05-09, 08:31 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Yes, gotta drive my girl home she lives like 12 blocks away from me.