IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

wtf rearview mirror FELL OFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 11:06 AM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wtf rearview mirror FELL OFF

i've never noticed any rattle at high speeds or anything like everyone else, but yesterday morning i came in the car and noticed it wasn't positioned correctly... i thought i just hit it without noticing when i took off my sunshade. then, i go in the car today and it's off again..... ok, i didn't even take off my sunshade yet. so i fix it a little and drive off for about a mile, and i see it move. then i try to fix it, and THE FREAKIN THING FALLS OFF.

it seems this metal holding thing has been grinding itself down. notice the chips

this is the part that attaches on the metal thing.

i'm gonna call up my dealer now, but i don't know how i can drive there like this...

Last edited by GSE20MT; 09-01-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 11:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

From the second picture it looks like someone really tugged on it at some point. The piece mounted on the windshield is difficult to chip like that.

Drive it? I wouldn't. If I had to, I'd disconnect the electrical connector and only drive it to the nearest dealer to get it fixed. Hopefully you're still under warranty.
Old 09-01-09, 11:16 AM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

it's never been tugged. i'm the only one that drives my car. i mean i've probably touched it a few times taking off my sunshade, but never anything with force.

by drive it, i did mean just to the dealership. i hope it's still under warranty too...
Old 09-01-09, 11:35 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

too much boom boom's.. Do you have subs? mine started to rattle and shake so violently I thought it was coming loose with my system

Last edited by windex; 09-01-09 at 01:18 PM. Reason: rolled out of bed made a post and a spelling mistake
Old 09-01-09, 11:42 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
too much boom boom's.. Do you have subs? mine started to rattle and shake so violently I thought it was coming loosed with my system
LOL - "Death by boom boom".

You should be fine driving to the dealership. Just stay in the right-hand lane and don't try to back into a space.
Old 09-01-09, 11:48 AM
Madsci625
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, never seen that, usually if anything they just fall off from if they sit in the hot sun combined with the "boom boom", haha. Not a big deal, you can probably just get another metal piece and glue it on using the special metal/glass glue that any autoparts store sells. Just remember to and try and trace an outline using a crayon or something so you know exactly where to put it.
Old 09-01-09, 12:43 PM
intekmdma
Driver

First time i've seen that happen before. I wouldn't suggest tampering with it by what post number #6 states if the car is under warranty as that would void that particular piece of the warranty.
Old 09-01-09, 12:54 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Wow! never seen anything like this happen to a Lexus before. Maybe it could be a defect of some kind.

My ex accidently pulled off my rear view mirror in my Honda a few years back. But then again, she just snapped it back into place. Good luck dealing with the dealership. Hopefully, your car is still under warranty and it is fixed ASAP.
Old 09-01-09, 01:03 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Just came back from the dealer. i just took off the mirror and drove there. gotta wait a few hours since there were some people already in there, but they quoted me for $115 if it's not covered under warranty. i'll update this after i get my car back, but for the record, i don't have any subs nor do i turn up the bass very much. i've never had the rattle problem that some people had, so i don't know how that could happen.
Old 09-01-09, 02:07 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am confused, there is a small screw that holds the black bracket onto the metal base on the windishield, whydid you not install the mirror back yourself.....so long as that metal base did not fall off, it can easily anchor back on
Old 09-01-09, 02:16 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

You can drive it to the dealer without any problems. Just think of all the delivery vans out there that don't even have any glass in the rear and they manage to get around. If you're that scared then arrange for a tow truck to take your car to the dealer I'm sure the techs and everyone at the service department will get a good laugh out of it

Last edited by mvlbr; 09-01-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 04:09 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

^^lol.. damn seems like someone got lucky in the car and someone's lets kicked it off.. GOOD EXCUSE BRO.. lmao
Old 09-01-09, 04:13 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

damn... bad one...

You need a new windshield since that metal clip is part of the actual windshield...

Good luck! you better go in there btching because they are going to try and push it as a non-warranty claim that the mirror would never fall off like that....

when they push to make you pay, btch at the service manager

Like Lance said, its VERY HARD to chip that metal piece...

GOOD LUCK!
Old 09-01-09, 04:50 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

muwahaha... real street racers take off their rearview mirrors, you dont need to see where you've been (something they do in japan)
Old 09-01-09, 05:05 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Another reason I bought the extended warranty.

Quick Reply: wtf rearview mirror FELL OFF