IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok are the stock bridgestone turanzas notorious for poor traction (dry pavement)

Old 08-31-09, 09:05 PM
isFiend
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok are the stock bridgestone turanzas notorious for poor traction (dry pavement)

I've got traction control on/vsc on. Pavement is COMPLETELY dry.

To test my traction (I have 2500 miles on my 09 IS 350) I decide to stomp on the accelerator from a dig with nobody around.

I stomp on it and this immediately initiates a burnout. Then, traction control obviously kicks in and cuts power, as expected.

But am I expecting too much from these stock bridgestone turanzas?

In the beginning (with less mileage) I stomped on the accelerator once or twice and traction was fine.

Now after 2500 miles I feel like it's already starting to go. I'm not necessarily an aggressive driver, I don't accelerate hard from a dig all the time at stop lights or anything.

Anyone else with an '09 having these issues with their turanzas?

Can anybody recommend better tires with better grip? I'm seriously considering changing tires at 10k miles instead of 15k or 20k like I had originally planned.

I am not an expert on treadwear, but honestly the tread looks and seems fine. Perhaps the traction is just not good for other reasons or I am expecting the tires to do too much with 300 horses at the crank
Old 08-31-09, 09:49 PM
VF84
Pole Position

u have the r33? no, i don't have that problem. but they're not the greatest, they are only summer touring tires. perhaps the road is a little dirty or slick, u never know with public roads.

personally, i find the pirelli pzeros a bit too soft (which may be good for ride and for ppl living in areas with few/minor potholes) and don't protect the rims as much (2 bent rims).

i like bridgestone potenzas much better. have gone thru S-01, S-02, S-03, and RE-050. i like them all, altho S-02 probably had the coolest tread design

if u lack for traction, and yes, 300 is a bit, then go for summer max tires. tirerack.com has a lot of selection, as does tires.com. edumacate urself and pick one u think u'll like
Old 08-31-09, 10:19 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try picking up a pair of R-Compound tires for the rear. I have no issues launching my car with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup's I have back there
Old 08-31-09, 11:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

You don't need Sport Cups for an IS - even an F. Turanzas are some of the worst tires I've ever driven. I would get them off the car ASAP. PS2s are great, RE050PPs are great, T1Rs are great...LOTS of choices out there that pimp slap the Turanza in every performance parameter. What ever you do, don't try to push them in the rain, that's when they're worst.
Old 09-01-09, 12:03 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You don't need Sport Cups for an IS - even an F. Turanzas are some of the worst tires I've ever driven. I would get them off the car ASAP. PS2s are great, RE050PPs are great, T1Rs are great...LOTS of choices out there that pimp slap the Turanza in every performance parameter. What ever you do, don't try to push them in the rain, that's when they're worst.

I can definitely attest to this.

I have an '09, I have turanzas. I didn't even PUSH them in the rain. I was at a stoplight and I made it a point to just barely press the accelerator and was on the verge of losing control. Lots of wheel spin, my rear end started to sway into oncoming traffic (part of my rear end did sway)

Thankfully traction control kicked in + I just flat out let off the accelerator (from the 5 cm i was pressing it anyways) and instinctively punched the brakes, bad idea I know but I was only going 10 to 20 MPH thankfully and all was well in the end, but still that was a very scary experience.
Old 09-01-09, 12:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

For 95% of IS drivers, I would wager the Turanzas are fine for everyday driving. If you floor any 300+ hp car from a stop, you are going to light up the tires. That is an aggressive move and maybe a more aggressive tire would suite such a manuver.
If there ever was a traction issue with the IS, it's around the corners and that's more suspension related.
My two cents.
Old 09-01-09, 12:26 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are power braking then yea you should get wheel spin if you launch over 1500 rpm. if you just stump it without powerbraking i have no explanation for that
Old 09-01-09, 05:45 AM
isFiend
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses.

Also just for clarification

Originally Posted by juice14
if you are power braking then yea you should get wheel spin if you launch over 1500 rpm. if you just stump it without powerbraking i have no explanation for that

No power braking at all. Literally was just flooring it as fast as possible.

I am disappointed that they switched to turanzas for the 09. I believe they used potenzas for the 06-08

Edit: I'm beginning to think that maybe an alternative explanation is that I just happened to try this in an area where the road was more slippery than usual due to dust or something.

I'll give it a shot another time (again when nobody is around) and will report back.
Old 09-01-09, 06:02 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by isFiend

I am disappointed that they switched to turanzas for the 09. I believe they used potenzas for the 06-08
Nope- My 08 came with Turanzas from the factory
Old 09-01-09, 06:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by isFiend
Thanks for all the responses.

AWD comes with Potenza RE92 or Dunlops.

You can go to tirerack.com and see what the best sellers are for each model, and get a lot of good info on ratings and feedback there.
Old 09-01-09, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I had Turanzas with my 07. Potenzas were a different tire package. I liked my Turanzas while I had them. They were pretty quiet and for my daily commute they performed well enough. Keep in mind that I didn't push them that hard because I need my tires to last. Nice and quite for 30k until a nail in the sidewall led me to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Love these new tires a lot more
Old 09-01-09, 08:53 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

Turanzas suck *****. I could easily get them to lose traction; they'd squeal in corners and it wasn't much of a feat to chirp them from hard acceleration... and I drive a 250. I can only imagine how much worse they would be on a 350.
Old 09-01-09, 09:24 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the er33s suck hard. almost any tire is better then those tires. im at around 13k and need new rears i have maybe another 2-3K on the fronts. the tires on the car now are starting to flake off. im switching to yokohama advan neova ad08s very soon.
Old 09-14-09, 04:12 AM
Rossyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Allen K
I had Turanzas with my 07. Potenzas were a different tire package. I liked my Turanzas while I had them. They were pretty quiet and for my daily commute they performed well enough. Keep in mind that I didn't push them that hard because I need my tires to last. Nice and quite for 30k until a nail in the sidewall led me to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Love these new tires a lot more
How many miles you have on your PS A/S Plus? I'm getting ready to change out my 18" Turanzas (24K on 08 350) and am leaning towards the PS A/S plus. Haven't read too many reviews with this tire on my car so I'm just curious. I've read where some people complained about a soft side wall.
Old 09-14-09, 08:02 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

I have about 5k on the tires. To be honest I haven't pushed the car much since it's my DD and I need these tires to last The tires are quiet, smooth and a huge step up from the Turanzas. One thing I've noticed is that they seem to be dropping PSI a faster than the Turanzas. I'm down 1-2 PSI when I do my monthly checks where with the T's I would lose 1-2 every 2-3 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok are the stock bridgestone turanzas notorious for poor traction (dry pavement)