IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 10:05 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Yes, I did, but I didn't tow more than a couple miles at about 35 MPH. I wouldn't consider towing it on the highway.
I was just "jerking your chain". You are confirming my point that trailer hitch capacity ratings are conservative. A Class I hitch can handle a lot more than its rated 2,000 lbs. but it is not a good idea to push it too far and especially not for long distances and at high speeds.

The hitch on the diesel Mercedes I used to tow that 2,600 lb. sailboat/trailer had only a 1,500 lb capacity -- the max hitch available for a W123 chassis Mercedes. I had to reinforce the inside bottom of Mercedes rear bumper with a thick steel plate to make it strong enough to safely bear the load. The 40 mile drive to deliver the boat to its slip was done at a rather leisurely pace and mostly on back roads.
Old 09-01-09, 10:53 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Europe Lexus provides this hitch for the IS (rated at 3400 lbs.);
Lexus does not recommend towing as far as I've heard. It's not so much engine issues, but chassis issues.
In the above photo, it looks like the exhaust system had to be lowered for clearance. There's a non-stock gap between the tips and bumper. Personally, I'd not want to buy any car that has been altered, experimented on, or strained.
BTW, hp has nothing to do with it. It's all about torque when it comes to towing.
Old 09-01-09, 11:10 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
BTW, hp has nothing to do with it. It's all about torque when it comes to towing.
Since horsepower is directly related to torque by RPM's (hp = (ft-lbs X RPM) / 5252), its EQUALLY about hp AND torque.
Old 09-01-09, 12:46 PM
intekmdma
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gernby, that picture is scary but soo cool at the same time. i'm at awe lol
Old 09-01-09, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3400 pounds?
Old 09-01-09, 01:10 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
3400 pounds?
basically it can tow another ISx50
Old 09-01-09, 03:00 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Since horsepower is directly related to torque by RPM's (hp = (ft-lbs X RPM) / 5252), its EQUALLY about hp AND torque.
Sorta, but not really. Look on a grander scale for an example. A motorhome, 18 wheeler, or train locomotive will usually have double or triple the amount of torque for their hauling purposes. Torque is what pulls, horsepower is what gives you speed.
Old 09-01-09, 03:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Sorta, but not really. Look on a grander scale for an example. A motorhome, 18 wheeler, or train locomotive will usually have double or triple the amount of torque for their hauling purposes. Torque is what pulls, horsepower is what gives you speed.
You're funny. Locomotives have electric motors driven by generator sets. No gears, and torque is completely unimportant - it's all about horsepower because the engine's power is converted to electricity.

An 18 wheeler has a 10 or 20 speed gearbox because torque doesn't solve the problem. Gears do. Gears multiply torque.

The only torque that matters is the torque at the wheel, and since there's at least one gearbox in the way, the torque the engine makes is inconsequential as long as the gearbox is designed to put the right amount of torque at the wheels.
Old 09-01-09, 03:59 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Here's a chart I did a couple years ago showing torque to the wheels throughout the gears on an IS350 vs one with a fictional CVT that maintains gearing at peak HP.

Note: I created this chart to prove to lobuxracer that torque was more important, but I wound up proving myself wrong ... :|

I suspect we have at least as much pulling power as any 10 year old pickup.
Attached Thumbnails New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350-is350-accel-plot-5-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-04-09, 03:09 PM
BJM711
Rookie

OK, I finally got my Jet Ski out this morning and when I got back from my morning ride I took these pictures of the Jet Ski trailer attached to the new Curt Hitch I installed a week ago on my IS350.
Attached Thumbnails New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350-img_3001.jpg   New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350-img_3002.jpg   New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350-img_3003.jpg  
Old 09-04-09, 04:21 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the pictures, but would you also attach some closer pictures of the hitch installed on the car? I'd like to know how it looks when it's not in use.
Old 09-04-09, 05:54 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

all i have to say is if you want to toe sothing buy a truck hell even a cheap truck
Old 09-04-09, 07:38 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slowandlow
all i have to say is if you want to toe sothing buy a truck hell even a cheap truck
pssh, these guys are balla, if you gotta tow something tow it with a LEXUS

*that would make a great bumpersticker for your towing rigs*
Old 09-05-09, 06:49 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slowandlow
I've always believed that people who say this kind of thing, probably haven't done much towing. There's no such thing as a "cheap truck" that would be good for towing. First off, it's another vehicle to buy, maintain, insure, store, and register. Second, if it's "cheap" to buy, then it's probably going to be old with high mileage, so it's not going to be very reliable. Reliability is paramount when towing.
Old 09-05-09, 07:40 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I find it sad that so many people in the U.S. have bought into the marketing hype that says it takes an SUV or pickup truck to tow a trailer. I wonder why that hasn't happened in most of the rest of the world. Are we a nation of sheep?

OK, I admit I'm a "geezer". I remember before SUV's existed and when nobody had a pickup truck except farmers and those needing them for commercial businesses.

Everyone used cars to tow trailers -- sometimes very long and heavy travel trailers.

The movie "The Long, Long Trailer" came out in 1953 and I first saw it in about 1955 in my grandfather's theater, The Roxy, in Huntsville, Missouri. My job as a little kid was to hand my grandfather the next real for mounting in the projector.

The film made fun of people with no towing experience hauling huge travel trailers on winding mountain roads. It was funny then and it's funny now.
Attached Thumbnails New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350-the-long-long-trailer-poster.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Curt Trailer Hitch Installed on IS350