IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC message

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 09:28 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check VSC message

Hopefully I have a simple question, I recently purchased an 06 IS350 and didn't realize the wheel was bent until I got home. Completely blinded by the fact on how nice the car looked and ran, anyway I recently just got back from driving to LA from Sacramento and I got a message stating Check VSC on the status screen as long as a check engine and traction lights coming on as well. I am going to replace the wheels with newer ones but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what may have caused it to trigger the message. I didn't get the message until 3 days after I got back from putting almost 1500 miles on the car. Any help or ideas would be great appreciated.
Old 08-27-09, 09:40 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car lowered?
Old 08-27-09, 09:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Check VSC came on because VSC is automatically disabled whenever the check engine light is on. Fix the check engine light and check VSC will go away. Check engine light can come on for any number of reasons. First thing I'd check is to make sure the gas cap is tight, as this is a VERY common reason for a check engine light. If it's okay, then I'd recommend having the dealer read the trouble code. A bent wheel should not cause the check engine light to come on.
Old 08-27-09, 09:44 AM
duby1
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm, that's strange.
Old 08-27-09, 09:44 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Is the car lowered?

Sorry about that, the car is completely stock including the 18" chrome factory wheels on it.
Old 08-27-09, 09:48 AM
Lexi D
Driver

I had the samething happen to my 06 350. I took it into the dealership and they "took care of it". They also replaced a few things that Lexus had a recall on. It hasnt happened since.
Old 08-27-09, 10:14 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing on my IS...had warranty left and they said the ECU needed to be reflashed...and it had to be done with an oil change so they gave me a complimentary oil change
Old 08-27-09, 10:45 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car still has warrenty on it i would go to a dealer and have em check it out. driving that far on a bent wheel might have caught something. i dumb@$$ed when i was lowering my car and forgot to unplug the abs sensor wire from the hub. and it pulled itself out. i had to replace that wire. not to hard only about 30 minutes. mainly to take off and put back on the fender liner. but as soon as they checked for codes again they were all gone.
Old 08-27-09, 12:04 PM
Dymelos
Rookie

thanks for all the tips guys i appreciate it. I will check the gas cap as soon as I get home otherwise my local Lexus dealer actually does free towing to them so I will have it towed and checked out. I still have about 6k miles in warrenty left on it. I sure hope its something that simple, I hate driving my truck.
Old 08-27-09, 09:15 PM
Dymelos
Rookie

Well unfortunately it looks like its a trip to Lexus to see what is wrong, I think it might be the injectors, it sputters pretty bad on a cold start and then goes away. Anyway thanks again guys for your tips.
Old 08-28-09, 01:50 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymelos
Well unfortunately it looks like its a trip to Lexus to see what is wrong, I think it might be the injectors, it sputters pretty bad on a cold start and then goes away. Anyway thanks again guys for your tips.
I just recently had the Check Engine and Check VSC light come on this week. Took it in yesterday morning and the computer read off "Cylinder Misfire" on multiple cylinders. When I had it light up on Tuesday I turned off and turned on the car in the middle of traffic because it switched into it's "Safe" mode. Then after I turned it back on it was back to normal but the messages were still lit. I had been noticing that my idle was a little funky every time I would stop and it would dip a lot more than before. I revved it a bit to clear it up a few times before and it worked. But I guess there was more of a problem than met the eye.

My service tech at Longo Lexus informed me that it was due to carbon build up. My only concern to that is I've been using Chevron and Shell 91 octane since I bought the car. Seems not everything is what it seems. I only have 37k on the car so it really mind boggles me that it would need an EFI service done on it. Well they're going to get back to me on getting it cleaned. I believe they have to request permission from Lexus to continue with the service, granted I'm thinking it's going to be covered by warranty.

I'll keep you all posted.

Any tech's have some input on this?
Old 08-28-09, 06:15 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Longo Lexus informed me that it was due to carbon build up.

Any tech's have some input on this?
I'm not an official tech, but I've been working on cars for more than 15 years, and I've never seen an injector fail because of carbon. In fact, I just did the intake manifold gaskets on my VW which has 180,000 miles on it, and while there was carbon around the base of the injector seals, the pintles and heads were perfectly clean... and I run CRAP gas in it.

So I call BS on the "carbon" excuse, unless there's a port in the intake somewhere that just happened to get clogged. Also (if I'm not mistaken) the IS350 has both mechanical (direct port) and electronic injectors. Did he say which ones were clogged?

Since its under warranty I guess I wouldn't complain too much, but if I were paying for it I'd call their bluff.

EDIT: And I'm super curios to hear what the OP's dealer says too...
Old 08-28-09, 10:07 AM
Dymelos
Rookie

Well just got off the phone with the dealer about it and they didn't even let me finish telling them what the issue was, he knew immediately. He didn't go into detail about it but he did mention something about the injectors as well, he said the 06 and 07 have issues with staying clean and it was actually a known issue that was covered under warranty. I will let you know for sure when I get the car back next week since they have to keep it for a few days to fix it. I am just glad its going to be fixed, I absolutely love the car.
Old 08-28-09, 11:06 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

What are the chances so close to your purchase?

Good that they're taking care of it. Still seems strange to me.
Old 08-28-09, 12:55 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

it's happened to me before, too but after they reflashed the ECU it hasn't happened since

Quick Reply: Check VSC message