IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

oil filter change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 03:17 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 09BSP250
Well, your iron levels were even higher than the one I reference (I referenced the other report, because Blackstone themselves admitted the levels were high). I scrolled through the other thread, but didn't see you post new results... What was your iron count on the next? You know, using a quality oil, you're probably more than fine and we're just going over the finer points. However, a higher iron level does mean more wear and tear on your engine. Perhaps debatable from there if it has some impact, or none at all at your levels. And the peace of mind thing, is why I do oil&filter @ 5K. So I certainly understand that. I guess it comes down to the idea that i'm willing to kick in the extra $50/year to change both every 5K miles to avoid higher iron levels. To each their own! Guess what else? I'm leasing my IS250!
I never got around to scanning my other UOA's, but I do specifically remember seeing the Fe PPM at 22, and them suggesting I could go longer if I wanted to based on the wear metals. I see your point, and by no means am I trying to convince you to change your oil at the same OCI as me. It's just as for my engine (and several others who have posted UOA's), running short OCI's with oil that statistically still has useful life in it is unnecessary and wasteful.

Javier
Old 08-21-09, 03:48 PM
09BSP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I never got around to scanning my other UOA's, but I do specifically remember seeing the Fe PPM at 22, and them suggesting I could go longer if I wanted to based on the wear metals. I see your point, and by no means am I trying to convince you to change your oil at the same OCI as me. It's just as for my engine (and several others who have posted UOA's), running short OCI's with oil that statistically still has useful life in it is unnecessary and wasteful.

Javier
22 is a great number, and agreeably nothing to be concerned with. From the other thread, the ones I saw running at 10K OCI's were high on iron. It may be wasteful to change at 5K. It just gives me good peace of mind. And then I don't have to wonder what iron level is acceptable to me, and whether 5, 6, 7K, etc is the "magic" number where iron byproducts become higher. And being a mustang guy for over 10 years, I just have a hard time replacing only 1 (oil or filter) each time I get my hand dirty digging into my car. For $50 extra a year on a $30K purchase, it seems like a pretty simple choice to me.
Old 08-21-09, 08:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Based on what? Iron levels after 25k miles are going to be ridiculous. If you're NOT doing a UOA you would be a fool to run that long. If you typically drive less than 15 minutes you would be a fool to follow that schedule period.

Extended drain intervals are great, and I've been doing them for a long time, but I would NEVER consider it without doing used oil analysis to confirm what I believe to be true.

Based on a couple things- Amsoil guarantees their oil for 25k miles. In the decades they've been in business they've never had a claim on that warranty.

For another, my last car was considerably more powerful an engine than my IS350, driven considerably harder (including the drag strip) and was considerably older tech with considerably poorer tollerances/wearing.... and yet my 1/yr oil changes worked great with Amsoil.

Sadly the UOAs went with the rest of the paperwork when I sold it, so I suppose if my word isn't good enough there I can't help you.

I agree I wouldn't do 1yr/25k changes on a car without UOAs to back it up, but I've certainly seen plenty enough of them on the 2IS motor to know that other than under very extreme conditions it's a -complete- waste of money to be changing synthetic every 5k, which was my primary point. If you feel better changing a high-end syn every 10k (or the UOAs on your particular car say it's a good idea to do so) I've no issue with that... but if you're doing normal driving and changing synthetic every 5k I'm going to tell you you're throwing your money away, cause you are.

(I'll be happy to post my UOA at 1yr or 25k on the same fill of Amsoil once I've got enough miles on my 2IS to do one, I'm nowhere near that point yet though especially since the dealer gave me free changes at 5 and 10k).

And on the oil/filter thing, Amsoil recommends 1/yr (or 25k) oil changes, but they recommend 2/yr filter changes unless you're using one of their synthetic filters (and they don't offer one for the 2IS last I checked).

Originally Posted by 09BSP250

Call up your dealership (or three), ask them. Do you own research, rely on that information. But don't go on someone else's recommendation to under service your car on something as simple as an oil change. Learn to change it yourself, and enjoy those savings! Best of luck!

Yes, I'm sure the folks who charge you for oil changes are going to recommend against longer oil change intervals... shocker.

Last edited by Kurtz; 08-22-09 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-21-09, 09:13 PM
BAP077
Driver School Candidate

What brand of oil filter are you guys using?
Old 08-21-09, 10:00 PM
intekmdma
Driver

Originally Posted by BAP077
What brand of oil filter are you guys using?
I would like to know as well
Old 08-21-09, 10:13 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using the ordinary OEM Toyota paper filter.

Javier
Old 08-21-09, 11:23 PM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

same here oem toyota filter...
Old 08-22-09, 12:17 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Filters are usually rated for about 5k miles....think about it, what picks up more dirt - the oil or the filter...

Anyway, about the original question. If you use the plastic drain tool provided with your filter, it's very easy and non messy to drain out the filter housing. And only the oil in the filter will drain out.
Old 08-24-09, 06:39 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ANY synthetic oil will provide safe protection for 10K miles (without changing the filter). This is not guessing, this is fact, backed up by UOAs. It is also fact that even the factory fill (non-synthetic) is safe for 10K miles. Modern Toyota/Lexus engines are gentle on motor oil. NO ONE is more severe on motor oil then me and my UOAs (using Amsoil) have shown I can easily go one year and 14K miles. You can change your oil every 200 miles and filter every 100 if it makes you feel better, it will hurt anything except your pocket!

Fact - Amsoil uses group IV base oil where Mobil 1 uses a group III. Even with using a group III base, Mobil 1 has proved to be great oil. Again ANY synthetic is overkill in our engines using the OEM recommended change intervals.

I suggest running the oil approx 8K miles and get a UOA to see EXACTLY how much life is left, why guess!

Koz
Old 12-23-09, 08:07 AM
klien001
Driver School Candidate

where can i buy these specific oil filters for cheap? I called lexus dealers and they cost $10 wth