IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Review: Polarg J01 Super White Light Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 08:35 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Review: Polarg J01 Super White Light Bulb

I installed 1 Polarg J01 LED White light bulb last night to compare to my stock puddle lights (in the side mirrors).

I was very disappointed.

My stock puddle lights are much brighter than the Polarg J01. The Polarg is much more blue, but the stock puddle light I have is much brighter. I tried multiple Polarg J01 bulbs, and they were all more dim than my stock bulbs. I tried taking some pictures for comparison, but it's very difficult to get decent pictures of light intensity (or color).

However, you could simply stand behind the vehicle and hit the unlock button on your keyfob and see a huge difference.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was thinking about going down this path.

Time for plan B. (I haven't decided what that plan is yet though. lol). It might be to move on to my next project since I have a pile of F-sport gear in my living room ;-)
Old 08-12-09, 11:36 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Was thinking about purchasing some Polarg bulbs the other day. Thanks for the heads up and comparison on the LED whites.
Old 08-12-09, 12:04 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed some Polarg super whites on my city lights and they are really weak light that doesn't appear white to me...

Last edited by karasha; 08-13-09 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 10:12 AM
silentbob
Driver

wow, thanks for the heads up. i'm really surprised that an LED would be weaker than a traditional bulb?

i was actually thinking of purchasing the polarg lens type hyper whites to put in the puddles:

http://www.racinglab.com/polarg-l-type-l01.html

supposedly they are brighter than normal bulbs, but now i'm having second thoughts.

if you're looking for pure brightness, go with the 4smt 2w flank leds from vleds. they're much more white and bright than stock, but i'm probably going to go back to regular bulbs, b/c the leds don't dim on and off as smoothly (it's more 'steps' of brightness).
Old 08-13-09, 12:47 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silentbob
wow, thanks for the heads up. i'm really surprised that an LED would be weaker than a traditional bulb?

i was actually thinking of purchasing the polarg lens type hyper whites to put in the puddles:

http://www.racinglab.com/polarg-l-type-l01.html

supposedly they are brighter than normal bulbs, but now i'm having second thoughts.

if you're looking for pure brightness, go with the 4smt 2w flank leds from vleds. they're much more white and bright than stock, but i'm probably going to go back to regular bulbs, b/c the leds don't dim on and off as smoothly (it's more 'steps' of brightness).
I'm surprised too. I did a fair amount of research prior to buying these, and I picked them because they supposedly were fairly white, dimmed smoothly, and I was also under the impression they put out more light than the stock bulbs.

They are definitely not white (despite the product marketing). In my opinion, they look a lot more like the reading/map lights in our cars. They are pretty smooth to illuminate and dim, but they definitely do not put out more light than my stock bulbs. Perhaps it's because it's in the blue spectrum, but regardless the actual output was much brighter on my stock bulbs.

This model you reference is different than the one I purchased, so if you do get them, please post a review.
Old 08-13-09, 01:02 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i use to have polard j-51 or something like that and they were really bright! i mean.. they were 50 dollars for a pair of these though..

that bulb in the link posted above is WEAK garbage
Old 08-13-09, 02:08 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
i use to have polard j-51 or something like that and they were really bright! i mean.. they were 50 dollars for a pair of these though..

that bulb in the link posted above is WEAK garbage
are these the bulbs you had?
http://www.racinglab.com/pohipoledhyw.html

did you have them in your puddles or somewhere else? if in the puddles, did they dim smoothly?

did you used to have the polarg lens type bulbs, or are you just assuming they're garbage? thanks.
Old 08-13-09, 02:59 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

i have J-53 and they are great at night picked them up off a member here for like $30
Old 08-13-09, 03:08 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I wish I could find the Polarg's locally, so I'm not just throwing money down the toilet. I found the J-55 for $35 online, and I'm thinking about trying those for my puddles.

If I end up getting them, I'll probably post a review....but it'll probably be a couple of weeks I think I'm going to try and re-tackle my sport pedals. To say the accelerator is a PITA even with an angle adapter is an understatement....but that's a whole different thread.
Old 08-13-09, 03:08 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by w1ck3d64
i have J-53 and they are great at night picked them up off a member here for like $30
thanks for the suggestion! do they dim on and off as smoothly as regular bulbs?