X
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

3rd Gen IS speculation thread

Old 09-08-12, 08:14 AM
Javahersaz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nima im not sure about how much it looks like the renders but i guess it must like new gs and a little like the renders
Old 09-08-12, 08:22 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

1. Do you think the grill under the cameo is real or fake? The bottom part of the grill looks real but not sure about the top part where the emblem would be is real or fake.

2. Do you think when Lexus releases the 2014 IS that it will come with all the items they took away in the past few yrs like driver and passanger memory seat button and AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting). It seems when Lexus releases a new model like in 2006 with the IS the car came with all the great goodies then 3 to 4 yrs into the model they start taking away options that originally came with the car.
Old 09-08-12, 12:36 PM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm interesting
Old 09-08-12, 02:23 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
1. Do you think the grill under the cameo is real or fake? The bottom part of the grill looks real but not sure about the top part where the emblem would be is real or fake.
I think they are trying to hide the actual grille design. Looks like they put some pertruding rectangular window piece around the grille to make it look like a tiny rectangle.
Old 09-08-12, 02:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunko
I think they are trying to hide the actual grille design. Looks like they put some pertruding rectangular window piece around the grille to make it look like a tiny rectangle.
+1 ... I agree
Old 09-08-12, 03:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For those wondering, the rendering above does share some cues but overall the real deal looks much better. Side profile retains a slab appearance, but the rocker panels are different. In fact they sweep upward at a 45 degree angle while the tail lights are very sharp and the point goes down at a 45 degree angle both meet on an invisible line. Front has the corporate spindle grill and while the upper portion is smaller than any of the other Lexus models, the bottom part extents very wide, more so than other models. Rear is tailored nicely and the tailpipes while still dual come inwards slightly more than the current model. Interior has your GS/RX-esque steering wheel, recessed navi, remote touch, and will be the first model with NuLuxe 3 (ie perforated).. Enjoy!
Old 09-08-12, 03:26 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For those wondering, the rendering above does share some cues but overall the real deal looks much better. Side profile retains a slab appearance, but the rocker panels are different. In fact they sweep upward at a 45 degree angle while the tail lights are very sharp and the point goes down at a 45 degree angle both meet on an invisible line. Front has the corporate spindle grill and while the upper portion is smaller than any of the other Lexus models, the bottom part extents very wide, more so than other models. Rear is tailored nicely and the tailpipes while still dual come inwards slightly more than the current model. Interior has your GS/RX-esque steering wheel, recessed navi, remote touch, and will be the first model with NuLuxe 3 (ie perforated).. Enjoy!
Wow!!! Have you seen the actual 3IS?
Old 09-08-12, 03:34 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by NimaM
Wow!!! Have you seen the actual 3IS?
Yes, Lexus showed it to the dealer network several months ago, but did not mention power trains at the time. They showed us both regular and FSport versions. At the time the FSport followed suit and did not have fog lights like the GS. I presume it'll stay that way. Luckily it's an easy mod the 4GS owners can do
Old 09-08-12, 03:44 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Well since you've seen it, Do you like the 2IS better or the 3IS? From what I've seen so far I can honestly say that thing is ugly. Not feeling any bit of it at all and those headlights up there are hideous.
Old 09-08-12, 03:46 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

What is NuLuxe 3? The current seats are already perforated leather.

Will it have the Lexus (infiniti) clock like the GS?
Old 09-08-12, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Well since you've seen it, Do you like the 2IS better or the 3IS? From what I've seen so far I can honestly say that thing is ugly. Not feeling any bit of it at all and those headlights up there are hideous.
I'll say this since pictures never do the real thing justice. The 3IS is a good looking vehicle especially in Obsidian FSport which I'm tempted to trade for. Of course the way it drives and power trains will be a factor for me. It it doesn't have the 8-speed auto I might as well keep my 2IS till something more modern takes place. The 6-auto will have a truer manual mode similar to the current GS though . The biggest thing for me will be the interior since that's where I'll be most the time. Now the design is good and reflecting the GS which is good. Because the interior pic is so small though my biggest concern is the cabin materials. If the use GS ones I'm completely sold. If they use the cheaper ones found on the ES13 (which they share a similar price point ) then I will be severely disappointed. If you've sat in the new ES the materials used are rather atrocious for a car of that caliber. Some of the plastics are just terrible . Anyway we'll see. I do know that this will be a hot seller regardless, but may or may not be for me. Lucky for me I still love my 2IS dearly so the overall package of the 3IS will have be a home run to get me out. Good thing about working at a dealer even if I don't get one is I can drive one everyday and live vicariously hah

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
What is NuLuxe 3? The current seats are already perforated leather.

Will it have the Lexus (infiniti) clock like the GS?
Yes the current "leather" seats have perforations. NuLuxe found on the CT and ES does not. IS will be the first to use NuLuxe 3. NuLuxe is an Eco friendly material that weighs half as much as leather and the manufacturing process generates 65% fewer CO2 emissions as other synthetic leathers.

Iirc it does have the clock. I'll have to double check for you
Old 09-08-12, 08:42 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Can't wait to see the 3IS F-Sport!
Old 09-08-12, 10:42 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoovey2411:

Thanks for the info!!! Can't wait to see the 3IS!!!!
Old 09-08-12, 11:13 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll say this since pictures never do the real thing justice. The 3IS is a good looking vehicle especially in Obsidian FSport which I'm tempted to trade for. Of course the way it drives and power trains will be a factor for me. It it doesn't have the 8-speed auto I might as well keep my 2IS till something more modern takes place. The 6-auto will have a truer manual mode similar to the current GS though . The biggest thing for me will be the interior since that's where I'll be most the time. Now the design is good and reflecting the GS which is good. Because the interior pic is so small though my biggest concern is the cabin materials. If the use GS ones I'm completely sold. If they use the cheaper ones found on the ES13 (which they share a similar price point ) then I will be severely disappointed. If you've sat in the new ES the materials used are rather atrocious for a car of that caliber. Some of the plastics are just terrible . Anyway we'll see. I do know that this will be a hot seller regardless, but may or may not be for me. Lucky for me I still love my 2IS dearly so the overall package of the 3IS will have be a home run to get me out. Good thing about working at a dealer even if I don't get one is I can drive one everyday and live vicariously hah

Yes the current "leather" seats have perforations. NuLuxe found on the CT and ES does not. IS will be the first to use NuLuxe 3. NuLuxe is an Eco friendly material that weighs half as much as leather and the manufacturing process generates 65% fewer CO2 emissions as other synthetic leathers.

Iirc it does have the clock. I'll have to double check for you
Great input. How would u say the headlights are in comparison to the 2012 IS and the 4GS
Old 09-14-12, 08:08 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow! I never really this thread existed, otherwise I would've been posting here. I notice there seems to be a great deal of confusion(except from Hoovey and few others) here concerning looks of next IS. I would have made it concretely clear that without a doubt, these dark teaser images were the only legitimate shots of 2014 IS spindle grille front from NAIAS. Mr. Burns and I have shown them several times in the last 6-8 months, but few have taken notice and instead relied on rumors/misinformation from other sources. The cars fascias shown in both the video with Katsuda-san and behind the LF-LC in the photo below do NOT contain the '14 IS. Car and Driver proved to be useless in calling the fascia of the '13 GS in silhouette, the '14 IS. I really do not want to hear or see anyone being feed information by clueless outside sources again, as it is a little disappointing to be seeing some of you be mislead by them, when such speculation should've ended months ago.

These are 100% CORRECT

Attachment 501813

INCORRECT, the only car shown that hasn't even been revealed yet, is the one on the far left in the image and it clearly wasn't the IS.

INCORRECT- Car and Driver annoyingly touted this as the IS, which it isn't. That's the GS.

INCORRECT- Either a CT variant or a similar looking CUV

The ONLY prominent real-world example of it of course is this at the moment.

Until we get more actual info, this stands as the most correct so far.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-14-12 at 08:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen IS speculation thread