X
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

3rd Gen IS speculation thread

Old 10-20-11, 09:48 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I really hope they keep the nice look the IS line has had until now and not mess it up. I've seen a couple of concept arts (not even really recent ones and I'm sure those are nowhere near being anything real for a true concept for a next gen IS) and at least those all looked like crap.... I guess if the next gen doesn't do it for me and the time to change comes, I'll be upgrading to the new GS which I like so far.

Hopefully we get a good performance and mod friendly car this time around... I'm pretty much a loyal Lexus customer already. love their service, quality, looks etc...
Old 10-20-11, 09:52 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to guess the new front end of the 3IS will take major cues from the newly released GS, which I have no problem with. Looking forward to seeing how they incorporate the new corporate styling into the smaller IS body. I think they could benefit from making it look more distinctive - the 2IS is very attractive but it's a bit bland. Like bam said, the sides/doors of the car are totally untouched, I think a nice line could be added. I've always felt the rear is chunky and too tall, hopefully they address that too.
Old 10-20-11, 10:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bam

My biggest gripe with the 2g IS is with how Lexus executed the side door panels. There are no creases or anything and it basically looks like a slab door. I hate that and wish they would put more design into the doors. It's easy to just simply put a slab door and call it a day and I hope Lexus doesn't do that for the 3g IS.
Actually, it is one of the most difficult things to do.
Imagine selling a blank canvas for $30,000.

In order to pull off a blank slab, you really need good manufacturing processes and equally good quality materials in order to have a smooth and yet strong sheet metal that flows.

anybody, escpecially Hyundai is getting away with putting that large crease along the frame that makes it "look" taut, but it does not have to be.
Old 10-20-11, 10:43 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"slab door" LMAO

I personally like the flat doors. Lexus is not trying to be like every car on the road. I looks much more clean to have flat doors with no moldings or creases. The door just flows as it has curves up top.
Old 10-20-11, 11:49 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's obviously a matter of personal preferance regarding the slab door but I would like to see more character in the doors. Also, the car is a too small and def too narrow looking. Lexus has publicly admitted that they need to create more sporty cars and imo, one of the ways to accomplish this goal is to design a more sporty car (stating the obvious.) Generally speaking, a sporty car is a wide car. There are no super cars out there that "look" narrow. All of them either are wide by dimensions or appear wide by design. Hopefully, Lexus makes the car larger and wider and flattens the rear end because that high butt just wasn't doing it for me.

You know, I hate to say it but Lexus was getting to comfortable in their design. It wasn't anything special or unique. Look at all of their designs and look at the headlights for example. They're all basically the same shape in that they all start at a point near the grill and are then all pulled back towards the fender, like a triangle or trapazoid. Of course, each car has this executed a little differently but they're all basically the same. Even the new GS is like that. Don't get me wrong. i really like the GS and am happy to see Lexus take such a drastic step in making it sporty but I believe Lexus really needs to take a leap of faith in their design direction and do something different.

Take for example the previous gen 7 series with what everybody called the Bangled Butt. That was the most talked about thing in the automotive world when it came out and people had very strong opinions about it. Mostly saying it was ugly but believe it or not, that last gen 7 series was their best selling 7 series of all time even with all of the problems that they had with the car.
Old 10-20-11, 12:47 PM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bam
It's obviously a matter of personal preferance regarding the slab door but I would like to see more character in the doors. Also, the car is a too small and def too narrow looking. Lexus has publicly admitted that they need to create more sporty cars and imo, one of the ways to accomplish this goal is to design a more sporty car (stating the obvious.) Generally speaking, a sporty car is a wide car. There are no super cars out there that "look" narrow. All of them either are wide by dimensions or appear wide by design. Hopefully, Lexus makes the car larger and wider and flattens the rear end because that high butt just wasn't doing it for me.
That's funny that you say that i've always considered the IS to be a farily wide vehicle. I did some research and here's what I found.

335i/M3 Width: 71.5 inches
IS350 Width: 70.9 inches
G37 width: 69.8 inches

This just proves that you have no idea what you're talking about. The IS350 is more than an inch wider than the G37 and half an inch less than the 335i/M3.

That's the wonderful thing about cars and car manufcaturers, you have so much to choose from. If you don't like the IS go buy a 3 series or a G37. Personally the IS looks better than both of them with the G37 coming in 2nd. When I think of a car that's boring flat and completely lacks uniquesness I think of the 3 series.

Last edited by my95tsi; 10-20-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 01:02 PM
lobo_dog
Driver School Candidate

I feel lexus need something to compete with the coupes like the G37 or the 3-series coupes.
Old 10-20-11, 01:31 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by my95tsi
That's funny that you say that i've always considered the IS to be a farily wide vehicle. I did some research and here's what I found.

335i/M3 Width: 71.5 inches
IS350 Width: 70.9 inches
G37 width: 69.8 inches

This just proves that you have no idea what you're talking about. The IS350 is more than an inch wider than the G37 and half an inch less than the 335i/M3.

That's the wonderful thing about cars and car manufcaturers, you have so much to choose from. If you don't like the IS go buy a 3 series or a G37. Personally the IS looks better than both of them with the G37 coming in 2nd. When I think of a car that's boring flat and completely lacks uniquesness I think of the 3 series.
Are you sure those measurements aren't taking into account the mirrors or are those measurements not including the mirrors. Anyways....as many have mentioned on this forum, the back is a really high butt and it gives the appearance of a narrow vehicle. Please thoroughly read my post before attacking.

To prove my point tfurther, look at the 335i convertible and compare to a IS350 convertible. Look at the vehicle from the back and tell me that the is350 covnertible doesn't look narrow compared to the low and flat look of the 335i.

In addition to your measurements that you gathered, without properly qualifying the numbers, they mean nothing. The 71.5 inches you're quoting for the 335/m3 are including the mirrors. Look on BMW USA's website. Yes, mirrors do add to the overall width of a vehicle but for all purposes, I'm talking about the actual width of the car itself. So when I'm talking about the rear of the IS being narrow, I'm talking about looking at the car from the back and saying the back looks narrow. I'm not talking about the car with the mirror looking from the back being narrow.
Old 10-20-11, 01:42 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bam
Are you sure those measurements aren't taking into account the mirrors or are those measurements not including the mirrors. Anyways....as many have mentioned on this forum, the back is a really high butt and it gives the appearance of a narrow vehicle. Please thoroughly read my post before attacking.

To prove my point tfurther, look at the 335i convertible and compare to a IS350 convertible. Look at the vehicle from the back and tell me that the is350 covnertible doesn't look narrow compared to the low and flat look of the 335i.

In addition to your measurements that you gathered, without properly qualifying the numbers, they mean nothing. The 71.5 inches you're quoting for the 335/m3 are including the mirrors. Look on BMW USA's website. Yes, mirrors do add to the overall width of a vehicle but for all purposes, I'm talking about the actual width of the car itself. So when I'm talking about the rear of the IS being narrow, I'm talking about looking at the car from the back and saying the back looks narrow. I'm not talking about the car with the mirror looking from the back being narrow.
The back is that high as a necessity to create useable trunk space. Are you sure you want a sedan?
Old 10-20-11, 02:50 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Infra
The back is that high as a necessity to create useable trunk space. Are you sure you want a sedan?
Yes, I do realize the back end of the ISx50 is that high to accomodate the convertible top but look at the 3 series convertible and tell me it's high to accomodate the top. My point is that it's design issue and it can be done but Lexus decided to stay with the high butt for one reason or another. Again, my point is look at other car companies that can make lower belt lines to make the car "appear" narrow or actually make a car that is physically wider. That's my point.
Old 10-20-11, 04:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

It is a design philosophy question.
Lexus likes a wedge shape, so it is one.
Old 10-20-11, 06:45 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
It is a design philosophy question.
Lexus likes a wedge shape, so it is one.
As do I.

Personally, I like the look of the rear end, even more so when you lower the car.
Old 10-21-11, 05:28 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by anthrax144
As do I.

Personally, I like the look of the rear end, even more so when you lower the car.
U see her from the front, nice and slim. As she goes by and u check her out u see a nice inviting rear.

OTH, the "wider" car is like a milf.

Both are good. Just depends upon your stage in life.
Old 11-26-11, 09:58 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Next-Generation Lexus IS Photochops from Japan

Came across these and just thought I'd share in case anyone hasn't seen them

Shamiz, our source for Japanese magazine rumors, has come through again with these Best Car renderings of four possible next-generation IS variants:

Old 11-26-11, 10:05 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy. I hope not. Don't like that rear at all on the sedan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd Gen IS speculation thread