IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

strange reaction? (Idle RPMs drop and car shakes occassionally)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-09, 10:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Default I'm looking..... LoL

Originally Posted by love67
just want to give you guys an update, i just went to the dealer and try to repair my front inner boots and i let them know this happen, so they said they will check and see and happen, and now i just got a call from them, and they said because of the exhaust valve, and need to take the engine apart to replace them, but thanks god! it's under warrenty.
Hey Nick!!

You must be glad I spotted your front axle boots spitting out grease...

Why are they doing to fix that??

Joe Z
Old 07-24-09, 10:33 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting. exhaust problem traced to the engine dang.

Yeah i had the worst experience with my audi a6 00. oh boy, wheneveer i stopped on red lights, the car would stall. The lights radio all works but the engine kept on dying. Meaning I had to to put it on park, and give it always 2 tries to turn on the ignition. What a pain Anyway, people told me to get a carborator or something for the audi....

I hope this isnt much of an issue in the long term for lexus. the reason why i got a lexus is for assurance that long term drive will be safe. I hope it stays that way

My older brother got a GS300 99 and I got an audi A6 00. He has 160,000 miles and I only had 75,000 miles. Gotta say GS300 outperformed the audi through reliability and lower maintenance fees. Almost never took the GS300 to dealership for maintenance, and the audi went in 24/7 hahaha. Spent a good 8000 total trying to fix the audi and it was just a failure in the end GS300, timing belt and spark plugs. easy...
Old 07-24-09, 03:46 PM
CarlitosPR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome me to the idle group from time to time my car does the same and I just give it a new air filter and a tune up and call it a day! but it gets annoying every time
Old 07-24-09, 06:20 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Hey Nick!!

You must be glad I spotted your front axle boots spitting out grease...

Why are they doing to fix that??

Joe Z
yes, im glad and lucky! haha, but! they ordered the wrong parts=.= so i have to wait another 2-3 weeks!... and they just said need to repair it, didnt actually tell me what happened to my inner boots
Old 07-24-09, 06:23 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaKi3241
very interesting. exhaust problem traced to the engine dang.

Yeah i had the worst experience with my audi a6 00. oh boy, wheneveer i stopped on red lights, the car would stall. The lights radio all works but the engine kept on dying. Meaning I had to to put it on park, and give it always 2 tries to turn on the ignition. What a pain Anyway, people told me to get a carborator or something for the audi....

I hope this isnt much of an issue in the long term for lexus. the reason why i got a lexus is for assurance that long term drive will be safe. I hope it stays that way

My older brother got a GS300 99 and I got an audi A6 00. He has 160,000 miles and I only had 75,000 miles. Gotta say GS300 outperformed the audi through reliability and lower maintenance fees. Almost never took the GS300 to dealership for maintenance, and the audi went in 24/7 hahaha. Spent a good 8000 total trying to fix the audi and it was just a failure in the end GS300, timing belt and spark plugs. easy...
they said its because of the "exhaust valve" but they didn't tell me why tho, and i still havn't fix it yet because i want to do it with my inner boots together, so maybe 2-3 weeks later, and it takes about a week it get the job done because they need to take the engine apart....so sad!
Old 07-24-09, 08:01 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

How long did they keep your car?
Old 07-24-09, 08:29 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
How long did they keep your car?
2 and a half days. all they did was just trying to intall the inner boots but missing some parts and need to order again and check the rpm problem. so i need to go back there when the parts are in. they said the inner boots intallnation is about 2 days and the exhaust valve is about a week...
Old 07-24-09, 11:14 PM
gummipolar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing started happening to my 250 AWD. Noticed it a few days ago, I would stop at a red light and the engine would shudder for a few seconds. Seems to only happen when the ac is on and in the first 15 minutes of driving the car though. Will bring it up with the service dept next week.
Old 07-24-09, 11:45 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

mine is more often now, and it will happen anytime with AC on or off
Old 07-25-09, 01:49 PM
teracon
Driver

Default Mass airflow sensor - needs to be "flashed"

Had the same problem. Took it to service about a month ago and they reflashed the code for the MAS (mass airflow sensor). After they did that everything has worked fine.

If anyone receives the airbag light error (on constant), it is probably a faulty sensor. Mine is currently in the shop for a faulty sensor in the right front passenger curtain airbag.
Old 07-25-09, 04:56 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

i get the stop on the throttle and the car shakes and almost shuts off. it only happens right after i turn the car on and once the temperature gauge gets past the C it goes away completely. i put in fuel additive and it seemed to have cleaned it out but now i just got it again. it has only happened once though in the past few months.
Old 07-25-09, 10:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

That has happened to me once with my GS. I had the dealership look into it and they said they saw no codes thrown on the ECU. I also get this weird occasional low idle in the cold that makes the car idle ruff sometimes
Old 08-25-09, 05:50 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Glad to hear that Lexus is at least finding some reason for the rough idle. My 08 250 does it often after warm up when in D and stopped with A/C off which did not start happening until car was over 1 year old with 10K miles- very annoying for a V-6- never had in my previous Lexus or 3 Acuras. My dealer knew what I was talking about when I brought it in 2 months ago and said they were waiting for info from Lexus factory and now I can tell them to check the exhaust valve or airflow sensor. For those who did get it "fixed", please keep us posted if it still shows up.
Old 08-31-09, 11:47 AM
bchang
Driver School Candidate

Here is my experience with rough idle. In March, my 2006 IS250 started having intermittent rough idle at a stop. When I accelerated, it would hesitate and eventually stalled when I was pulling into an intersection. Brought it in and they diagnosed it as misfire and replaced the exhaust valves/springs (there is a TSB on this common issue). In April, I brought it in again for rough idle, they cleaned the throttle body. In June brought it in for rough idle. This time they flew 4 technicians from Japan (one was an engineer that helped design the engine). Spent 3 days running diagnostics and could not find the cause of the misfire. Took the engine back to Japan for further testing and placed a new engine in my car (which I did not want since they do not know the cause and it will inevitably reoccur). I filed a lemon law claim. They denied it saying the new engine solves the problem. Now I am having intermittent rough idle with surge (when the rpm bounced up fast during stopping, my car sometimes surges).

My advice - DO NOT attribute this to normal operations. You don't want to be repairing this our of warranty. In my case, they do not know the cause.
Old 09-01-09, 12:11 PM
Madsci625
Driver

Interesting. I notice this from time to time but it's pretty minimal right now. Good thing I have a LC warranty that just started in Aug. It will be interesting to see what comes of this problem.

Quick Reply: strange reaction? (Idle RPMs drop and car shakes occassionally)