IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

cutting the fender

Old 06-25-09, 04:52 PM
moo_juice
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting the fender

ok, i searched and found nada. I have a rubbing issue in the rear and am a little worried about the paint cracking from a roll. Ive heard of many ppl cutting their fenders.

So what exactly do you do to cut it , what tools and methods? Is is something most of you are doing on your own or taking it to a shop?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-09, 06:43 PM
hmsis250
Pole Position

Just use a dremel tool with a metal cutting blade. Then, sand the edges down to where its smooth and straight. Just don't cut past the spot welds! I cut about where the seam sealer started and worked my way around. Then hit it up with some paint to prevent rust. Its really is too do.
Old 06-25-09, 06:44 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Fender roll is common but fender shaving is getting aggressive. - my opinion only!
You should not be worry if you go to a reputable shop for fender roll.

Good luck with your plan.
Old 06-25-09, 07:22 PM
moo_juice
Lead Lap

ok so pros and cons.

rolling:
paint crack
warp the entire fender

cutting:
cutting too far?
what else?

oh shops definately may be reputable and very good, but I dont think any would offer a guarantee saying if we warp your fender we will replace your quarter panel.
Old 06-25-09, 07:24 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I want to see pictures of fender cutting. I think I have the idea down but I want to make sure.

So if you cut you won't need to roll right?
Old 06-25-09, 07:28 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't roll you will regret it on newer Lexus models the fenders are stamped and glued together if you roll a 2nd gen Is it will crack the paint on a 1st gen that's not a problem....find the right person for the job and you'll be happy I cut the rears on my Isf and they look awsome...can't say the same for other cut jobs i've seen though....take the time to see other cars with the job done already before you decide.
Old 06-25-09, 07:32 PM
moo_juice
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs2isf
Don't roll you will regret it on newer Lexus models the fenders are stamped and glued together if you roll a 2nd gen Is it will crack the paint on a 1st gen that's not a problem....find the right person for the job and you'll be happy I cut the rears on my Isf and they look awsome...can't say the same for other cut jobs i've seen though....take the time to see other cars with the job done already before you decide.

did you use a dremel and method similar to the 2nd poster?
Old 06-25-09, 08:18 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

paint won't crack if you do it right...some people are just scared of rolling and/or impatient and find that cutting the fenders is easier. It's actually no different unless that 2mm of sheet metal bothers you too much to the point of where not having it there makes you feel better? I'm going on about 6 months on my rolled fenders and no signs of cracking.
Old 06-25-09, 09:10 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrIS250
paint won't crack if you do it right...some people are just scared of rolling and/or impatient and find that cutting the fenders is easier. It's actually no different unless that 2mm of sheet metal bothers you too much to the point of where not having it there makes you feel better? I'm going on about 6 months on my rolled fenders and no signs of cracking.
Old 06-25-09, 10:18 PM
vistorQ
Pole Position

i cut mine and it was easy.... i looked into rolling it i have a roller and everything ive rolled all my cars ...but when i looked at the fender of the is there is not much there and decided that cutting was simple and you can make it blend right in...and unless you are a lexus GUY then you 'll never know. it literally took me 30 min to take wheels off cut and re-install....remember that when cutting you MUST put a anti-rust paint along the cut edge or it will rust and then chip your paint worse than a crack from rolling your fenders ever would.
Old 06-26-09, 12:46 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Even worse, when you cut your fenders, odds are you aren't going to go back and smooth out the cut. You will most likely leave it the way it is and just paint over it, am i right? So, this sharp edge will cut into your tire a lot quicker than that of a smooth edge from rolling them. Unless you are running weak offsets with lowering springs and you shouldn't be doing anything to your fenders regardless.
Old 06-26-09, 05:14 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

There is a DIY for rolling fenders and then using touch up on anything that cracked.
Old 06-26-09, 01:12 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrIS250
Even worse, when you cut your fenders, odds are you aren't going to go back and smooth out the cut. You will most likely leave it the way it is and just paint over it, am i right? So, this sharp edge will cut into your tire a lot quicker than that of a smooth edge from rolling them. Unless you are running weak offsets with lowering springs and you shouldn't be doing anything to your fenders regardless.
if you cut the fenders, why not sand it and make the edges smooth??
it shouldn't take that long, and it's not hard to sand it down
Old 06-26-09, 01:19 PM
moo_juice
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeOuLiS250
if you cut the fenders, why not sand it and make the edges smooth??
it shouldn't take that long, and it's not hard to sand it down
I agree.

Anyone who is willing to go through the trouble of cutting their fenders is almost guarantee going to spend the extra time to smooth it out and do it right.
Old 06-26-09, 01:19 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Im not saying its hard at all...but people keep saying that they take ~30 mins to cut BOTH rears? that seems like too little time to go back an sand them down and paint the bare metal...

cutting also doesn't allow you pull (if all you're using is a dremel)

i'm just sayin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cutting the fender