IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs GS 450h...could we win?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 03:06 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
This disagrees with all published performance I've ever seen on the cars.

The GS is very heavy... 1/4 mile times are in the 13.5-14 second range... the IS350 is in the 13.2-13.5 range.

That's up to north of 100 mph for a 1/4 mile run, with the IS350 getting there first.

Now, much north of 100-110 might be another story, especially given the way the IS is geared...... but no way a GSH is pulling away at 45, he'd be behind the IS350 at that point.
Really? An IS has never pulled anything faster than a 13.5 in stock trim on ANY test. Beyond that, most tests show the IS running high 13's/low 14's. Furthermore, the GS has higher trap speeds in ALL tests and a more consistent 0-60 and 1/4 mile time. In fact, the GS-h DOES have a trap speed over 100 mph, so I'm not sure where you are getting your info from sir.

Let's look at 2 different sites for each car just to be fair

Lexus.com
Lexus IS350- 0-60 in 5.6 seconds
Lexus GS450h- 0-60 in 5.2 seconds

Inside Line
Lexus IS350 *just for fun the Bimmer BMW 335i Sedan
0-45 in 3.4 0-45 in 3.2
0-60 in 5.2 0-60 in 4.9
0-75 in 7.7 0-75 in 7.2
1/4 mile in 13.8 @ 101.2 1/4 mile in 13.4 @ 103.9

Lexus GS450h
0-45 in 3.8
0-60 in 5.6
0-75 in 7.9
1/4 mile in 13.68 @ 104.23

I'm sure you can look all over the web and find some different numbers depending on the weather, condition of the car, and the driver.

With the exception of 1 test performed by Road and Track in 2007, all of the IS350 times posted on the web ranged between 5.1 - 6.0 sec 0-60.
All the sites I saw for the GS450h had times ranging from 5.1 - 5.6 sec 0-60. Regardless of the 0-60 time, EVERY SINGLE TEST had the IS350 with a lower trap speed than the GS450h. The GS450h averages about 103 - 105 mph trap speed. That being said, from a dead stop, Yes, the IS350 could take a small lead initially if launched properly. It seems like no matter who is driving the GS-h it still continually pulls low 5's all day long.

So I'm not sure why you have such a hard time believing that a GS-h can win against an IS350-****ESPECIALLY FROM A ROLL****!

The GS-h lacks in initial take-off because the traction control limits the wheelspin and wont allow a hard launch. After that the car turns into a beast and relentlessly pulls with seamless effort thanks to the CVT auto tranny. Once the GS-h gets rolling (even from 20 mph onward), the IS350 really doesn't have much of a chance. If Lexus could figure out how to get the power to the ground in the GS-h from a dead stop, the GS-h would probably be 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds with a hard launch.

Don't let the HP numbers fool you. The GS-h's V6 is rated at 292HP and the electric motor puts out another 194HP. Lexus claims the total output of the motor combined is 340HP even though those 2 numbers add up to 486HP, and the power curve is pretty flat. The torque is available immediately and it never falls off.

I'm sure you're quite familiar with the BMW 335i sedan seeing as it was pretty much built to contend with the IS350. I've beaten both the sedan and coupe versions of the 335i. I beat the coupe from a 60 mph roll and I beat the sedan from a 40 mph roll.

If you're ever in the Tucson area please give me a shout.

Take care.
Old 12-12-10, 09:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Really? An IS has never pulled anything faster than a 13.5 in stock trim on ANY test.
Yes it has.

Do a search on dragtimes, you'll find IS350 after IS350, stock, running under 13.5, all over 100 mph.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14788.html
13.42 @ 103

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14003.html
13.22 @ 105

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-13861.html

13.23 @ 104.5

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14115.html
13.34 @104.4

and so on...

In fact, here's IS350 stock vs GS450H stock:
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...onName=Compare!

The top 13 results are all IS350s

Regardless of the 0-60 time, EVERY SINGLE TEST had the IS350 with a lower trap speed than the GS450h. The GS450h averages about 103 - 105 mph trap speed.
You realize you can have a higher trap speed and a slower time, right?

The dragtimes results show exactly that comparing these two cars.

The GS450h being so rather heavy is one good cause.

That being said, from a dead stop, Yes, the IS350 could take a small lead initially if launched properly. It seems like no matter who is driving the GS-h it still continually pulls low 5's all day long.
And there's any number of posts on here from folks pulling high 4s in an IS350.

It's lighter, and geared to be very quick to 100 mph.

So I'm not sure why you have such a hard time believing that a GS-h can win against an IS350-****ESPECIALLY FROM A ROLL****!

The GS-h lacks in initial take-off because the traction control limits the wheelspin and wont allow a hard launch.
You can't turn off traction control on the GS? You can on the IS.

But I never said if both cars race from 60 to 140 that the GS won't win. I said that in 0-60 and 1/4 mile the GS won't win. And all the real world results I've posted show that.

Given how insanely more expensive the GS450h is I'd sure hope it CAN win at something

After that the car turns into a beast and relentlessly pulls with seamless effort thanks to the CVT auto tranny. Once the GS-h gets rolling (even from 20 mph onward), the IS350 really doesn't have much of a chance. If Lexus could figure out how to get the power to the ground in the GS-h from a dead stop, the GS-h would probably be 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds with a hard launch.
How does the IS-F manage to launch then when the GS can't?

And given the GS450H is priced like an IS-F that seems like the better comparison... where the F crushes it.

The fact the IS350 is likely a touch faster up to 100 or so (and even you seem to agree it's at least close) yet costs only 2/3rds as much, is a pretty decent accomplishment in its own right.
Old 12-12-10, 03:32 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha Ha, my computer keyboard is faster than your computer keyboard. Have either of you guys ever actually taken your cars to the dragstrip?

I have lots of experience and as was stated, much depends on weather/track conditions.
Old 12-12-10, 04:19 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Here is my IS350 running 13.1@104.44 with exhaust, intake, and heavy 19 inch wheels.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-21998.html

From 0, there is no way a stock GS450H can keep up in a quarter mile with a stock IS350.
Old 12-12-10, 08:37 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

yeah bring it, any gs450h anytime anywhere any place , stock or not lolz
Old 12-12-10, 10:07 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Yes it has.

Do a search on dragtimes, you'll find IS350 after IS350, stock, running under 13.5, all over 100 mph.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14788.html
13.42 @ 103

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14003.html
13.22 @ 105

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-13861.html

13.23 @ 104.5

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lexus-IS350...lip-14115.html
13.34 @104.4

and so on...

In fact, here's IS350 stock vs GS450H stock:
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...onName=Compare!

The top 13 results are all IS350s
The GS450h is FAR more rare than the IS350. Of the few people that do own them I'm willing to bet that only a small fraction of the owners would ever race one at a track. The IS350's are WAY more common and targeted at a younger audience than the GS450h is. For every 100 IS350's at the track you'd be lucky to find maybe 1 GS450h, if that even.

I didn't even bother posting numbers from dragtimes.com because there's no way of knowing how accurate they are. Some hillbilly in Arkansas could've been running slicks on a track with faulty equipment and then turn around and post that he ran a fast time in "stock" trim. In any event, the argument is not that the IS350 isn't capable of beating the GS450h, but rather that it is very possible for a GSh to beat an IS350 depending on the circumstances. From a roll, you can forget about it though.

You realize you can have a higher trap speed and a slower time, right?

The dragtimes results show exactly that comparing these two cars.

The GS450h being so rather heavy is one good cause.
I'm definitely not disagreeing with you there. That's why most older stock muscle cars had such slow 0-60 times with such high trap speeds. That and traction problems of course.

And there's any number of posts on here from folks pulling high 4s in an IS350.

It's lighter, and geared to be very quick to 100 mph.
I agree with you again. But there is a difference between someone taking a home-made video posting that they ran a 4.72 0-60, and an expert driver in controlled conditions repeatedly testing a vehicle with expensive, more accurate software. I could brag and tell you that I ran a 4.6 second 0-60 with my Beltronics Vector Accelerometer but that's not a TRUE measure of what my car's 0-60 is. Besides, that doesn't take changes in elevation into consideration. It's pretty unrealistic to state that you ran 0-60 a full second quicker than the manufacturer claims. If that's the case, what would be the point of getting an IS-F which has a 0-60 in +/- 4.3 seconds if you can get an IS350 that can run a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds? Wouldn't Lexus be competing with themselves if that were true? I didn't realize the extra 33% bump in HP only shaved less than 1/2 a second off the 0-60.

You can't turn off traction control on the GS? You can on the IS.
You can turn off the traction control but for some reason it keeps wanting to intervene when you try to launch the GS. I'm not sure if its set up differently than the IS or what. Maybe it's a less aggressive setting, I'm not sure.
But I never said if both cars race from 60 to 140 that the GS won't win. I said that in 0-60 and 1/4 mile the GS won't win. And all the real world results I've posted show that.
I agree with you yet again to a degree. If you look at the numbers, the GS has a slower 0-30 time but an equal or even quicker 30-45, 45-60, and 60-75 time than the IS350. From a dig, an IS has a slight advantage. Once rolling I'm putting my money on the GS.

Given how insanely more expensive the GS450h is I'd sure hope it CAN win at something
Win at something? There's a lot the GS wins at. Interior space, comfort, amount of features etc. etc. etc......it's a different car than the GS so I'm not sure why you compare them as if they are equal to one another. That's like me comparing my GSh to an LS600h. My GSh is faster than an LS600h, but the LS600h beats my car in interior room, luxury, comfort, and total size.

The fact the IS350 is likely a touch faster up to 100 or so (and even you seem to agree it's at least close) yet costs only 2/3rds as much, is a pretty decent accomplishment in its own right.
I couldn't agree with you more regarding the value of the IS350. Nobody is arguing that point. The topic at hand is performance in a straight line....thats it. In a straight line, especially from a roll, from what I have seen the GSh has an advantage because it's easier to produce more consistent pulls with the CVT transmission.

I'll be the first to admit that the IS will carve the GS up pretty badly in corners. The IS was designed to be an entry-level compact sports car, the GS is a mid-size executive sports sedan. Both cars have their unique qualities. I'd personally like to have an IS and a GS to suit my needs depending on my mood. The IS-F would be great for some of the twisty mountain roads outside of Tucson.

How does the IS-F manage to launch then when the GS can't?
As I stated previously, I'm not sure, could be a different setup?

And given the GS450H is priced like an IS-F that seems like the better comparison... where the F crushes it
Comparing an IS-F to a GS450h would not be a "better comparison". The GS is a bigger car designed with a different purpose altogether. Put 2 kids in the back of the IS-F and take a 1500 mile road trip, then take the same trip in the GSh and tell me which one you'd prefer. These 2 cars are in different categories.

At the end of the day it boils down to the driver of the car.

If anyone wants to test this theory, please feel free to hit me up next time you're in southern AZ.

Last edited by rickyb80; 12-12-10 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 10:54 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blitz_714
yeah bring it, any gs450h anytime anywhere any place , stock or not lolz
+1

I didn't even bother posting numbers from dragtimes.com because there's no way of knowing how accurate they are. Some hillbilly in Arkansas could've been running slicks on a track with faulty equipment and then turn around and post that he ran a fast time in "stock" trim. In any event, the argument is not that the IS350 isn't capable of beating the GS450h, but rather that it is very possible for a GSh to beat an IS350 depending on the circumstances. From a roll, you can forget about it though.
If a few different people on dragtimes run around the same times stock then why would it be a bogus timeslip? There isn't much performance modifications you can do on the IS350.

I agree with you again. But there is a difference between someone taking a home-made video posting that they ran a 4.72 0-60, and an expert driver in controlled conditions repeatedly testing a vehicle with expensive, more accurate software. I could brag and tell you that I ran a 4.6 second 0-60 with my Beltronics Vector Accelerometer but that's not a TRUE measure of what my car's 0-60 is. Besides, that doesn't take changes in elevation into consideration. It's pretty unrealistic to state that you ran 0-60 a full second quicker than the manufacturer claims. If that's the case, what would be the point of getting an IS-F which has a 0-60 in +/- 4.3 seconds if you can get an IS350 that can run a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds? Wouldn't Lexus be competing with themselves if that were true? I didn't realize the extra 33% bump in HP only shaved less than 1/2 a second off the 0-60.
Why wouldn't it be true? There has been testings that the Vectors are within 50-100 milliseconds accurate.

You make it seem like IS-F is head to head with IS350 to 60 when they are .4 seconds apart. You need to understand that ~.5 seconds is a lot when it comes to drag racing. It could be car lengths if not bus lengths.
Comparing an IS-F to a GS450h would not be a "better comparison". The GS is a bigger car designed with a different purpose altogether. Put 2 kids in the back of the IS-F and take a 1500 mile road trip, then take the same trip in the GSh and tell me which one you'd prefer. These 2 cars are in different categories.
I agree with you on that. But they are 2 different cars. I really don't think people who buy IS would even have a family to begin with. It is aimed towards the younger crowd while the GS is aimed toward the older crowd. I truly only used my back seats for people probably a handful of times.

At the end of the day it boils down to the driver of the car.

If anyone wants to test this theory, please feel free to hit me up next time you're in southern AZ.
+1 on the driver. The magazine have expert drivers but they might not be familiar with the car like we are. The first time I went to the drag strip I ran a 13.9-14s with traction control on. The second time I ran a 13.4 and the third time I ran a 13.1 with traction control off. They were all around the same weather (approx +/- 5F) and same track. It takes practice to launch the IS350.

From 0-100 I seriously doubt the H can keep up. But on a roll I will admit loss since the IS350 is not a good "roll" car.
Old 12-13-10, 01:37 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
+1

If a few different people on dragtimes run around the same times stock then why would it be a bogus timeslip? There isn't much performance modifications you can do on the IS350.

Why wouldn't it be true? There has been testings that the Vectors are within 50-100 milliseconds accurate.

You make it seem like IS-F is head to head with IS350 to 60 when they are .4 seconds apart. You need to understand that ~.5 seconds is a lot when it comes to drag racing. It could be car lengths if not bus lengths.

I agree with you on that. But they are 2 different cars. I really don't think people who buy IS would even have a family to begin with. It is aimed towards the younger crowd while the GS is aimed toward the older crowd. I truly only used my back seats for people probably a handful of times.

+1 on the driver. The magazine have expert drivers but they might not be familiar with the car like we are. The first time I went to the drag strip I ran a 13.9-14s with traction control on. The second time I ran a 13.4 and the third time I ran a 13.1 with traction control off. They were all around the same weather (approx +/- 5F) and same track. It takes practice to launch the IS350.

From 0-100 I seriously doubt the H can keep up. But on a roll I will admit loss since the IS350 is not a good "roll" car.
Just so we end this on a good note.....I never meant to sound like I was dissing any IS owners in this forum.....I just think there's alot of people out there that really don't realize what a GS-h is. I've had the car for a month now and raced it about 5x already. All races were instigated by the other guy too.....335i sedan, 335i coupe, Acura TL(total blowout!), Audi S4, and an old Mustang GT. I've yet to lose, although I must admit that all races were from a roll and I am about 100% positive that the 335i coupe would've handed me my ***** from a dig. The IS350 and IS-F are bad a$$ rides and if I didn't have 2 kids to haul around from time to time I would certainly consider the IS-F, an E92 M3, or a used 996 Turbo (because I can't afford $125,000 on a new one!)
Old 05-25-18, 04:55 PM
Smack206
Driver School Candidate

I've raced a my homies is350 with my 07 GSh and run that **** all the time we meet up and ride around, info on my GS is that it's stock and fully loaded with nav, mark Levinson system, pre-collision system with radar cruise control, parking sensors, rear sunshade, and the ultra rare apsss.

You can turn off traction control the same way I did in my 07 is250, only difference is if you hold it in my IS you can turn off traction and vsc and it will stay off, the GSh will only momentarily turn off after a launch.

The reason my car beat my homies is350 is the fact that most people probably don't keep the InternalCombustionEngine on before a run on a GSh and have to wait a second before the turns back on the engine from a stop and accelerate.

If you hold the gas petal to the floor and keep your foot on the brake then you will keep the InternalCombustionEngine on before the race and will have a second faster reaction time, they say if you have the battery charged it's better but in my experience it doesn't change acceleration. I have lightweight rims and sticky tires so that helps alot but I have yet to lose a race either and I live in South Seattle where we running down MLK all day 😂