IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 350 vs GS 450h...could we win?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 04:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
Ok so the 2006 IS 350 has the exact same thing under the hood as the 2007+ IS 350 correct
Well, the little plastic pins that keep the covers on are different...

same engine though
Old 06-22-09, 09:57 AM
loftus112
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wonder I felt like when I drove an 07 IS350, it seem a little faster than mines. This is knowing after the fact now. I wonder why that is, with the same engine and all.

2006 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.5

2007 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter mile 13.3
Old 06-22-09, 11:00 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loftus112
No wonder I felt like when I drove an 07 IS350, it seem a little faster than mines. This is knowing after the fact now. I wonder why that is, with the same engine and all.

2006 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 5.0 Quarter mile 13.5

2007 Lexus IS 350 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter mile 13.3

They both have the exact same potential. You have to turn the traction control off in the 2006 IS 350s using the pedal dance method (NOT by simply flipping the switch because it will re-engage after 30 MPH I believe) and powerbrake in the same conditions as the 2007 and you can achieve that same time
Old 06-22-09, 04:41 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There is actually a scientific formula to it, but I'm too old to recall my college courses. But basically yes, the larger the mass, the more g's or force is presented during acceleration. It has everything to do with weight. Like on a motorcylce, you don't feel the swift acceleration as much even though they are fast as hell. Yet some of the uber-SUV's really through you back in the seat.
Your body doesn't feel a difference in acceleration because of the vehicle's actual mass. G's exerted on your body as due to changes in direction in vary velocities. The "weight" of a vehicle doesn't increase or decrease that amount of gravitational force.

I don't know where you went to college, but... yeah. Inertia, yeah, that depends on mass. A heavier SUV will actually resist the urge to accelerate briskly due to its mass. Simple power to weight. All objects resist changes in their state of motion. All objects have this tendency - they have inertia. But do some objects have more of a tendency to resist changes than others? Of course - the heavier ones. The tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion varies with mass. Mass is that quantity which is solely dependent upon the inertia of an object. The more inertia which an object has, the more mass it has. A more massive object has a greater tendency to resist changes in its state of motion.

Those changes in motion don't translate to your physical human body and multiply the G forces through the 3 axes.

Savvy?
Old 06-22-09, 04:55 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Yeah pretty much everything you said is correct actually.

Just to clarify to everyone, mass and inertia are not independent ideas. Mass is the quantitative measure of inertia, they are the same thing.

It isn't even right to say mass is a "function" of inertia or mass is directly proportional to inertia. They are exactly the same thing.

The quantitative measure of translational inertia we call "mass"

The quantitative measure of rotational inertia we call "rotational inertia" When it comes to torque we don't have a separate name for rotational inertia, we just call it rotational inertia.

But yeah good post.
Old 06-22-09, 08:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Your body doesn't feel a difference in acceleration because of the vehicle's actual mass. G's exerted on your body as due to changes in direction in vary velocities. The "weight" of a vehicle doesn't increase or decrease that amount of gravitational force.

I don't know where you went to college, but... yeah. Inertia, yeah, that depends on mass. A heavier SUV will actually resist the urge to accelerate briskly due to its mass. Simple power to weight. All objects resist changes in their state of motion. All objects have this tendency - they have inertia. But do some objects have more of a tendency to resist changes than others? Of course - the heavier ones. The tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion varies with mass. Mass is that quantity which is solely dependent upon the inertia of an object. The more inertia which an object has, the more mass it has. A more massive object has a greater tendency to resist changes in its state of motion.

Those changes in motion don't translate to your physical human body and multiply the G forces through the 3 axes.

Savvy?
I think you might have misunderstood one sentence I wrote that threw you off from my whole point. When I said, "uber-SUV's," I was referring to the ones that have official 0-60 times in the five second range. Wasn't so much meaning to say they were the large ones... just the fast ones. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S come to mind. Obviously larger mass vehicles pull more weight and are often slow, but I was referring to the ones that are heavy but still haul azz.
Old 06-22-09, 11:20 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think you might have misunderstood one sentence I wrote that threw you off from my whole point. When I said, "uber-SUV's," I was referring to the ones that have official 0-60 times in the five second range. Wasn't so much meaning to say they were the large ones... just the fast ones. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and Porsche Cayenne Turbo S come to mind. Obviously larger mass vehicles pull more weight and are often slow, but I was referring to the ones that are heavy but still haul azz.
OK, yeah, great. Those SUV's don't put more "G's" on your body like you suggest. The end.
Old 06-23-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I thought this thread was about IS350 vs. GS450H or something.....
Old 06-23-09, 07:47 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I thought this thread was about IS350 vs. GS450H or something.....
+1.. turned into a science class instead
Old 12-11-10, 07:19 PM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Having driven both cars, owning a GS-h, and actually performing this race repeatedly with my buddy I can tell you what will happen.

First off, I always set my GS-h to Sport Suspension settings and Hybrid-Power mode.
My buddies IS350 is always right on the door of my GS-h from a dig until the vehicle gets to about 45 mph at which point the GS-h will wave "bye bye" forever. Since the GS-h has a CVT transmission there will be no hesitation between gear shifts and there really wont be much of a prayer for the IS350; especially at higher speeds. From a roll you can forget about it, GS-h all the way.
Old 12-11-10, 08:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyb80
Having driven both cars, owning a GS-h, and actually performing this race repeatedly with my buddy I can tell you what will happen.

First off, I always set my GS-h to Sport Suspension settings and Hybrid-Power mode.
My buddies IS350 is always right on the door of my GS-h from a dig until the vehicle gets to about 45 mph at which point the GS-h will wave "bye bye" forever. Since the GS-h has a CVT transmission there will be no hesitation between gear shifts and there really wont be much of a prayer for the IS350; especially at higher speeds. From a roll you can forget about it, GS-h all the way.
This disagrees with all published performance I've ever seen on the cars.

The GS is very heavy... 1/4 mile times are in the 13.5-14 second range... the IS350 is in the 13.2-13.5 range.

That's up to north of 100 mph for a 1/4 mile run, with the IS350 getting there first.

Now, much north of 100-110 might be another story, especially given the way the IS is geared...... but no way a GSH is pulling away at 45, he'd be behind the IS350 at that point.
Old 12-11-10, 09:06 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Okay many have claim that the GS is faster. However, my friend's dad is a lexus salesman at wilke lexus in PA and he drives the GS. My friend and I test drove the GS and I have to say it's fast, but definately the is350 is faster. We both took the GS and the is350 on a quick sprint, getting permission from his dad. At a dig, the GS was right behind the is350s' front door and up till 80, the GS was a car behind.
Old 12-11-10, 11:26 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
Okay many have claim that the GS is faster. However, my friend's dad is a lexus salesman at wilke lexus in PA and he drives the GS. My friend and I test drove the GS and I have to say it's fast, but definately the is350 is faster. We both took the GS and the is350 on a quick sprint, getting permission from his dad. At a dig, the GS was right behind the is350s' front door and up till 80, the GS was a car behind.
its the IS350 and GS450h not the normal GS350 or GS300.
Old 12-11-10, 11:38 PM
MyIS350G
Lexus Champion

did anyone notice that the speedometer is in km/h. I look at the video and see how many sec before the car hit 96km/h(60mph) wow its like 5sec!
Old 12-12-10, 01:12 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KangstaxD
We are comparing the GS450h to the IS350. Obviously the IS350 is faster than the GS350 since they share the same engine but the GS weighs more.

Quick Reply: IS 350 vs GS 450h...could we win?