Help! Flood damage to my IS350!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 09:35 PM
bntran02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Flood damage to my IS350!

Ok so here's a quick story:

About two months ago, we went to dinner and left my IS350 at home. It started to rain hard and flooded so we got stuck at the restaurant for a few hours. When the rain stopped, we headed home right away only to find my IS350 partially submerged. The water had settled in two places leaving two separate water marks at different levels.

We went through the whole process of getting it repaired through a Lexus dealership only to find out that they mis-diagnosed the problem and didn't see the higher waterline but they "conveniently" wiped away. Good thing i got pictures

From the pictures i think most people would agree that the car should be a total loss. But they gave it back to me and everything seems to work fine. Only a few electrical problems that i have found so far:
1. Passenger power door lock button doesn't work
2. Armrest cigar light doesnt seem to heat up the lighter but DOES provide power to my radar (wierd?)
3. The AC on auto seems to be blowing air a little inaccurately (ex:I normally drive at night with it at 78° but i had to put it at 72° to get the same level of comfort)
4. Seat ventilators are making more noise than usual

I have another appraiser guy coming because i demanded a proper repair based on the higher water line as they seem to ignore everything above the lower water line.

Ok, so now i need your help. Based on the higher waterline from the picture, what other things should I be pushing them to replace? I don't want anything that has touched water but i'm not very familiar with what and where things are inside the car hidden from view. Idealy, i'd rather have the car be totaled because nobody wants a flooded car.

Thanks for any help

1st pic: Lower water line across passenger side speaker
2nd pic: Nasty stuff settling. Pic shows that the water at that level is enough to almost submerge the seats and water soaked into the seats
3rd pic: Water line across backseats. This is the one that doesn't exist anymore. You can see the seats would be fully submerged
Attached Thumbnails Help! Flood damage to my IS350!-img_6587.jpg   Help! Flood damage to my IS350!-img_6581.jpg   Help! Flood damage to my IS350!-img_6593.jpg  

Last edited by bntran02; 06-01-09 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 09:39 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You got stuck at the restaurant for 2 months?!
Old 06-01-09, 09:42 PM
bntran02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iKenn
You got stuck at the restaurant for 2 months?!
No. My car was at home, we drove a different car to eat. Had it towed to the dealership
Old 06-01-09, 09:50 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bntran02
Went away for dinner in an SUV almost 2 months ago. Got stuck at the restaurant because of flooded waters. Came back to find my IS350 partially submerged.
This is how I interpreted it.
You left to dinner two months ago and got stuck there. Two months later, you came back and found your car under water.
Old 06-01-09, 10:44 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

let me guess....SE Houston?
Old 06-01-09, 10:45 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

LOL...Let me try! Two months ago you had dinner, in another car, and left the IS at the house. You were stuck at the restaurant for two hours, came back home to find out that the IS was flooded...Did you leave the sunroof open? How did the water get in the car? Did you contact your insurance? I think they would of total the vehicle. If your worry about the premium will increase I would just take the hit. I would rather lose the car than have problem i.e. like now, later. Just my two cents. But yeah your story has holes in it.
Old 06-01-09, 10:50 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

assuming you have full coverage...natural cause should not effect your insurance rate
Old 06-02-09, 05:02 AM
Weezy$Baby
Driver

y
o
u
r

weird.
Old 06-02-09, 05:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-help-bad.html

This guy got a new car.

Lou
Old 06-02-09, 08:42 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would fight it. This car is nothing but gadgets and electronics.
Old 06-02-09, 09:38 AM
bwesley
Driver

IMHO you should fight to have this car completely totaled. Most insurance companies are notorious for trying to get out of a claim as cheaply as possible, so it's probably going to be a hassle. But water damage is just as big of a car killer as fire damage... once your electronics have been effected, problems will develop throughout. And expect that things which aren't a problem now, soon will be as corrosion sets in. My guess is that mold is already forming within your seats... that in itself is dangerous enough to you and your family. Unless they're offering to replace the entire wiring harness and strip out the interior (headliner included), then this car needs to be replaced. Just my two cents, but I'm speaking from experience.

Best of luck!
Old 06-02-09, 09:46 AM
bntran02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tC_demon
LOL...Let me try! Two months ago you had dinner, in another car, and left the IS at the house. You were stuck at the restaurant for two hours, came back home to find out that the IS was flooded...Did you leave the sunroof open? How did the water get in the car? Did you contact your insurance? I think they would of total the vehicle. If your worry about the premium will increase I would just take the hit. I would rather lose the car than have problem i.e. like now, later. Just my two cents. But yeah your story has holes in it.
Sunroof was close, water got inside because of high flood waters. Im not really worried about insurance going up or anything because its not really my fault. They are insisting that the car is perfectly fine and im having to spend all my time fighting that claim. Im just trying to push either total the vehicle or have them to replace anything and everything that was close to the waterline

let me guess....SE Houston?
yes it was SE houston. League city to be exact.

IMHO you should fight to have this car completely totaled. Most insurance companies are notorious for trying to get out of a claim as cheaply as possible, so it's probably going to be a hassle. But water damage is just as big of a car killer as fire damage... once your electronics have been effected, problems will develop throughout. And expect that things which aren't a problem now, soon will be as corrosion sets in. My guess is that mold is already forming within your seats... that in itself is dangerous enough to you and your family. Unless they're offering to replace the entire wiring harness and strip out the interior (headliner included), then this car needs to be replaced. Just my two cents, but I'm speaking from experience.

Best of luck!
Yes im doing everything i can to try to get it totaled. They are being cheap and trying to save as much money as possible. If they dont total it them im going to to try and argue that hidden mold is forming and that i have been getting headaches.

PS. I also took some more pics and noticed that the seats have started to wrinkle from being soaked in water and found some rust in various parts places around the car that i'll post later

Last edited by bntran02; 06-02-09 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-02-09, 11:47 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Hire a lawyer.
Old 06-03-09, 04:08 PM
jc86
Driver

i know that flooding was/is a problem with the GS... but that water line is SO high... almost as though you left all the windows open and it rained for two days straight non-stop