IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Rear Power Shade DIY

Old 05-28-09, 11:37 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thought this wasn't possible. Looking forward to the finished work!
Old 05-28-09, 01:09 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Why don't you just tint the window?
+1 alot less work
Old 05-28-09, 01:26 PM
vanson350
Driver

Default Nice post

I will have to be on the look out for a rear shade at the junk yard.
Old 05-28-09, 02:14 PM
autofreak
Pole Position

care to put up some pics of the shade in action? i would appreciate it alot because i am very interested lol
Old 05-28-09, 05:31 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

The harness is present behind the switch blanks. I think it is the blue plug below.

There is also a large white harness that I think may be for some other option like headlight washers there. I am not sure though because it is for something that uses high current because there are a few thick power wire on this harness.
Old 05-28-09, 08:20 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

so does it work?
Old 06-01-09, 04:12 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm... anybody know if this would work on the IS-F?
Old 06-01-09, 06:18 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Hmm... anybody know if this would work on the IS-F?
I thought the F came with almost every option standard?
Old 06-01-09, 07:17 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
I thought the F came with almost every option standard?
I don't think it's even an option on the F...
Old 09-28-11, 01:16 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone know if this ended up working? I want the rear sunshade on my non lux 350!
Old 03-27-14, 04:42 PM
octavio350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thechosun
Hey All, this may be a rather Niche Thread but whatever

I had the opportunity to buy Smoky350's Rear Powershade and attempted to install it on my IS250, non Lux package. Some things first before you even bother with this.

I have not yet received the switch for the driver side so i cannot yet test my work. There was however to my surprise the wiring harness in the back ready to be plugged in for the rear power shade, so it must go somewhere and be preconfigured from the factory. Once i open up the switches on the driver side ill update the post and let everyone know what happened.

I figure, since i cant go fast, might as well keep my leather in pristine luxurious condition by getting a rear power shade

***I removed the rear seat bottom and back to have an easier time accessing the panels in the back. is it necessary? i dont know, someone can reply back and let me know...it did add about 30 minutes to the install. heres a link to the thread i created about that.... Rear Seat Removal

1. There are 3 white clips that hold the entire rear panel down. as with all the lil plastic clips on isX50's youll have to give it a sharp pull to get it out. Also, you need to remove the rear brake light, just pull up and it pops out easily, unclip the power jack and thats it.

2. Im not sure if this is necessary, but as i was pulling the rear panel out these side panels came off as well. you might as well take them out as they just get in the way. also a great way to creatively run wires down the passenger side door trim.

3. There are 4 Blue plastic clips on the side panels that stay onthe car. in order to reinstall these trim pieces easily, it is best to remove the blue clips from the car and put them onto the trim, that way you dont have to fuss with sliding the trim exactly at 4 different contact points

4. The Luxury Package Rear Powershade comes in 3 pieces, *the actual power shade is not pictured..because im an idiot*

5. Start by taking the rear power shade and placing it on top. there are 5 bolts that are used to hold it in place. mine only came with one so i picked up 4 more at the hardware store, i think they are M6 or M with a 10mm head, 3/4in in length, with washers.

6. Youll find that there are black stickers covering the holes where the power shade is supposed to screw in, just peel them off and stick them somehwere else.

7. I found the wiring harness underneath some of the cloth connected to what seems to be a clamp used as a place holder. just unclip it from the harness and plug it in to your rear powershade.

8. Sorry no more pictures, but all you do after the power shade unit is screwed down, is put the smaller piece in the back first, then just put the larger piece on after. its still held down by 3 plastic clips. and now we wait for the switch to come in the mail so we can see if all the hard work paid off.

hurray a picture of my garage

i have lots of motorcycles and tires...rear panel anyone? 100 bucks? i also have an extra brake light i dont need....will fit any lexus is x50 06-09

hope it helps, maybe it wont, gave me lots of confidence to rip my car apart, might even dynomat the thing.
DO YOU STILL HAVE THE PICS THEY LOOK LIKE THEYVE BEEN DELETED ?????
Old 03-31-14, 07:59 AM
thechosun
Driver

Originally Posted by octavio350
DO YOU STILL HAVE THE PICS THEY LOOK LIKE THEYVE BEEN DELETED ?????
I checked Photobucket and the pictures are there so I dont know why it says deleted. Will have to check.
Old 04-21-14, 10:49 PM
99bb6
Driver School Candidate

Did it work
Old 04-28-14, 07:12 AM
octavio350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by thechosun
I checked Photobucket and the pictures are there so I dont know why it says deleted. Will have to check.
Can you post the link to the photo bucket I clicked the pic and I cant! I'm not trying to be annoying but would be glad if you could help
Old 05-05-14, 11:01 AM
thechosun
Driver

Here is the link to my photobucket album. hopefully it works

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/the...S%20250%206Spd

Unfortunately i never did get to finish the project as I was waiting on the power connector but ended up giving the car to my dad when I bought a 4Runner.

hopefully the photos and guide help someone else finish their project!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Power Shade DIY