IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who makes Lexus glass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 04:02 PM
ocd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes Lexus glass?

My windshield was cracked with about 1000 miles on my 08 350. I put it off for a while out of pure frustration. I got a quote from a windshield replacement company...two quotes actually:

$260 installed aftermarket
$1090 installed OEM Lexus

Does anyone know who makes the glass for Lexus? Can a windshield replacement company have the rain sensor work properly? Lexus wants ~$1500 to replace it.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-09, 04:10 PM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Should've filed a claim through your insurance when it happened. I got a new Lexus windshield replaced no problems. The shop told me that there are only 2 (or 3) companies that make windshields. I told them, "If it doesn't have the "Lexus" stamp in the corner of the windshield, DO NOT put it on...otherwise I won't take the car back." They had no problem doing just that.

But to answer your question, aftermarket windshields do not have the rain sensors.
Old 04-28-09, 04:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

japanese elves living in cherry blossom trees make our glass

OR...

you can get some lexon
Old 04-28-09, 04:51 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason why our glass are so sharp and clear is that they were made with molten rocks inside the volcano of Mount Fuji sharpened by the blade strokes of a thousand Samurai's
Old 04-28-09, 05:08 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
The reason why our glass are so sharp and clear is that they were made with molten rocks inside the volcano of Mount Fuji sharpened by the blade strokes of a thousand Samurai's
That would be so cool
Old 04-28-09, 05:16 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ocd
Does anyone know who makes the glass for Lexus?
Asahi Glass Corp.

Javier
Old 04-28-09, 05:22 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Asahi Glass Corp.

Javier
They don't just produce glass for Lexus, they also make beer for the factory workers!

Old 04-28-09, 09:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ocd
My windshield was cracked with about 1000 miles on my 08 350. I put it off for a while out of pure frustration. I got a quote from a windshield replacement company...two quotes actually:

Does anyone know who makes the glass for Lexus? Can a windshield replacement company have the rain sensor work properly? Lexus wants ~$1500 to replace it.

Thanks!
javyLSU is correct. The windshield for the 2IS and majority of Lexus vehicles both Japan and Canadian made are by AGC aka Asahi Glass Corp. Some of the side windows and backglass are made by Nippon Safety glass.

As for aftermarket glass for Lexus w/the rain sensor, there are no companies that offer it on the 2IS. If you are getting quoted for aftermarket 2IS glass w/sensor, it's possible that it's inferior glass that's imported from Taiwan, China or Mexico. Unfortunately the factory glass is not cheap, but it's built to spec for Lexus. You do get what you pay for. I would file an insurance claim if your deductible is not high. Glass replacement is a comprehensive loss which equates to a 0 fault non chargeable loss.

Asahi Glass Website - Products
Old 04-29-09, 02:07 AM
ocd
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys. I asked the dealer who makes Lexus glass, the dude told me "Toyota"...figures. He was prolly guessing. My deductable is $1000, so for $90 bux, it's not worth it. I'll just pay.

I got another quote today from the company that does the work for my local Lexus dealer...about $90 cheaper. I'll go with them.
Old 04-29-09, 04:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ocd
Thanks for the replies guys. I asked the dealer who makes Lexus glass, the dude told me "Toyota"...figures. He was prolly guessing. My deductable is $1000, so for $90 bux, it's not worth it. I'll just pay.

I got another quote today from the company that does the work for my local Lexus dealer...about $90 cheaper. I'll go with them.
Going forward you might wanna check with your insurance guy on changing your deductable for comprehensive to $0... glass is what you'll file under comp 99% of the time and it's never worth it for that high a deductable... when I changed mine from 500 to 0 it increased my premiums like 6 bucks a year.
Old 04-29-09, 06:13 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ocd

Thanks!
I've had my front windshield replaced due to a rock which hit, then cracked the glass about half way through, starting from the A-pillar.

Your quotes sound about right, with my OEM quote being in the $1000 range, while my 'aftermarket' replacement was $300 including labor.

My car also has the rain sensor, and you don't have to replace it. The rain sensor is attached to the inside of your glass, just behind the rear view mirror. If I remember, I believe it just slides into a bracket thats adhered to the inner windshield. The glass tech should have prior experience with cars using rain senors, and will be able to detach it, replace the front windshield with an appropriate match, then reattach the sensor.

After having my glass replaced some months ago in 08, its been fine and identical to OEM, minus the Lexus branding, while the rain sensor functions no differently than it did the first day I got the car. You will want to make sure the glass tech seals your windshield properly, though, so that no leaks or wind noise come through...I think those two are the bigger concerns.
Old 04-29-09, 06:46 AM
MCL1
Pole Position

I have a chip on my windshield.

It's not spiderwebbing/cracking, just a small dime size little chip.

I have an 08 is250 9000 miles

questions:

1. lexus warranty doesn't cover this?
2. I don't have auto wipers, so no sensor, right? Therefore, I can get aftermarket?
3. since it's not spreading, should I just wait? It's just a small divet.
Old 04-29-09, 07:02 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badboy513
I have a chip on my windshield.

It's not spiderwebbing/cracking, just a small dime size little chip.

I have an 08 is250 9000 miles

questions:

1. lexus warranty doesn't cover this?
2. I don't have auto wipers, so no sensor, right? Therefore, I can get aftermarket?
3. since it's not spreading, should I just wait? It's just a small divet.
Unlikely that Lexus would cover that under warranty, since it wasn't anything faulty on their part. Depending on your coverage, insurance may be able to help, though...or at least refer you to a place that can look at it for you.

Sensor or no sensor, you can get aftermarket...but from what I've learned, its better to consider repairing it, first, before opting for a replacement. As to waiting, sometimes it doesn't spread...other times an overnight temperature drop sends a crack across the windshield. I'd have a more knowledgeable tech look at it, to determine what needs to be done.
Old 04-29-09, 08:52 AM
Feirax
Driver

I took a rock to the windshield that caused a small crack. Insurance company had a repair company come out and seal it. I'm glad I didn't have to go through glass replacement.
Old 04-29-09, 09:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Glass replacement is a comprehensive loss which equates to a 0 fault non chargeable loss.
I don't think your claim about comprehensive claims being non-chargeable is entirely true. Though it varies by state and insurance company, an excessive number of comp claims (more than 3 claims in 3 years is typical), can trigger a rate increase or even non-renewal of your policy.

Quick Reply: Who makes Lexus glass?