IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

request pic on DIY zip tie TPMS.

Old 04-23-09, 10:44 AM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default request pic on DIY zip tie TPMS.

request pictures on how the DIY zip tie TPMS solution works.
Old 04-23-09, 11:09 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

In the past week, I've had three separate nails in my rear tires. Looking at the tires, I would have never known they were low on air - they looked exactly the same as they do when fully inflated. The ONLY REASON I knew they were low on air was the TPMS warning I got on the dashboard, which saved me from driving on and most certainly ruining my wheels. Please please please run your TPMS - you paid for them, and with iForged selling TPMS adapters for as cheap as $35, there's really no reason not to.

Javier
Old 04-23-09, 12:40 PM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by javyLSU
In the past week, I've had three separate nails in my rear tires. Looking at the tires, I would have never known they were low on air - they looked exactly the same as they do when fully inflated. The ONLY REASON I knew they were low on air was the TPMS warning I got on the dashboard, which saved me from driving on and most certainly ruining my wheels. Please please please run your TPMS - you paid for them, and with iForged selling TPMS adapters for as cheap as $35, there's really no reason not to.

Javier

don't get me wrong, I'am running them, I just want to zip tie them 1st, then get them program, b4 I go and mount them in.
Old 04-23-09, 01:06 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I'd also like to see how this would look like.
Old 04-23-09, 06:33 PM
airwrench
Rookie

Javier
+1

I have 245/40/17 size tires on my other car, (no tpms) the tire was flat and I drove like that for a week before noticing. The tire looked fine.
Old 04-23-09, 06:44 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 04-23-09, 06:56 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Javier
Javy, would this work too? I want to buy it but afraid it won't fit/work

http://www.tpmssource.com/(S(c3wuuj5...vestem219.aspx
Old 04-23-09, 10:11 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

It depends on the wheel you have. iForged sells one like that too, but it's for specific wheels - each wheel requires a different style of adapter.

Javier
Old 04-23-09, 10:58 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mike how long does that zip tie last, before it starts coming loose?

Originally Posted by mikez

Old 04-23-09, 11:31 PM
AK-47
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez

THX for the pic, also, what did you put in the middle between the 2 sensor.
Old 04-24-09, 01:13 AM
benlee02
Rookie

Originally Posted by AK-47
THX for the pic, also, what did you put in the middle between the 2 sensor.
i also want to know what that is between the sensors. thanks
Old 04-24-09, 05:06 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before, I used normal zip ties and that had to be re tightened every month or so. Now I use industrial sized 3mm + wide zip ties and I haven't touched the sensors since last summer lol.

And in between the sensors is just hard plastic, similar to PVC piping materials, or the contact between the floor and the leg of your sofa, bed, tables etc.
Old 04-24-09, 08:48 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Javier
This is certainly a worthwhile post, and frankly I’ve seen too much of the opposite around here, i.e., threads about how to bypass TPMS and the sidestepping of other safety features. As one who also had a similar incident with a tire slowly loosing air due to a nail, your advice should be valued by all responsible CL members.
Old 04-26-09, 11:26 AM
benlee02
Rookie

help guys, i just did the zip tie trick but now instead of "low tire" i get "check system." anyone know how to get rid of this?
Old 04-26-09, 02:41 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by benlee02
help guys, i just did the zip tie trick but now instead of "low tire" i get "check system." anyone know how to get rid of this?
that means it didnt work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: request pic on DIY zip tie TPMS.