IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Lexus Parking Phenomenon

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 01:07 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Lexus Parking Phenomenon

Ever since I've purchased my Lexus IS 350, I have noticed an interesting phenomenon, and I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy. Here's the scoop:

Whenever I have purchased a new car, which isn't that often, I park away from other people, so I don't have to deal with door dings, etc.

This seemed to work fine with my Honda Accord, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc.

Now, it's a totally different story. I can park out in the middle of nowhere, and I tell you someone will almost always park next to me....no matter how many open spots there are closer to the door.

Quick Example: I went to lunch today. I park to the far right and there isn't a car within 4 spaces (which is a lot in this parking lot), and there are several additional spaces closer to the (only) door. What happens? A freaking Kia SUV parks right next to me. WTF?

Now I know it's probably just me being paranoid and over-protective, but I see soooo many kids just throw open their car door and hit an adjacent car (and of course the parents just let it go)...and yes I know of course there are plenty of adults that are guilty as well. ...I'm trying to keep my 2nd most expensive possession in good condition, and it seems like the Lexus Parking Phenomenon continues to bite me.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts?? :-)

Disclaimer: I apologize if this is not a valuable or interesting thread, but I don't feel like working and thought I'd share....no need to thank me. :-)
Old 03-27-09, 01:29 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Haha. I've never noticed people purposely parking next to me, but I'll say that I have been hit several times in parking lots, so chances are it'll catch up to you too =)
Old 03-27-09, 01:32 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

That happens to me all the time
Old 03-27-09, 01:55 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

seems i'm lucky enough to get no dings after 2 years
Old 03-27-09, 01:57 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I've noticed it with my car, too. I had it back from paint only a week and went out to lunch. I parked it away from other cars and, when I came out, this POS Chrysler convertible was parked right next to me. It was easily the worst car in the parking lot. Since then, I haven't been parking as far away. I'll find an area of the lot where there are some cars and park 2-3 spaces away from someone with a decent or nice car. The better their car is, the less yours will stand out. Give them room, though, or they'll be pissed. It's worked well so far. I guess seeing a shiny new or newly painted car away from everyone else is too much for some idiots to resist.
Old 03-27-09, 02:00 PM
Maxximus
Driver

happens to me all the time and it's very annoying
Old 03-27-09, 02:00 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

In a bad area, parking conspicuously can get your car keyed, especially if you do something obnoxious like taking two spots.

Rather than park in the boonies, I look for spaces that are intrinsically safe; single spaces, extra wide spaces, end spaces with no curb on the side where you can park on or just over the line, etc. Failing that, I'll park in a nearby lot with safer parking and walk.
Old 03-27-09, 02:01 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mvlbr
That happens to me all the time
Same here. I can be the farthest away from the front door of the store with no other car around, I come out and a POS has parked next to me.
Old 03-27-09, 02:01 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Happens to the Supra every time I take it out. Thanks kid, I am so amazed by your EK Civic with Big Mouth Billy Bass Body Kit. Thanks for parking two inches from me so I could "check it out". You and I are import-car-owning-peers. Can I get your cardomain account link so I can add you as a friend?

Not.
Old 03-27-09, 02:03 PM
Mojo_2009
Driver

I feel the same way. Went to Fry's electronics last week, parked directly across from the door but and the edge of the parking lot(against a fence). There was no cars next to me on either side for at least 4-5 spots. Parked in reverse as well, I come out and every spot is filled and every car but one is parked in reverse.

WTF?
Old 03-27-09, 02:12 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

I work for Microsoft, in Redmond WA. Lemme tell you, we have tons of parking but also tons of employees (40k in Redmond alone) so its really hit or miss depending on how many people work from home for the day.

I try to park away from everyone. Far from the building entrance or in the underground parking.

Usually when I park there is not a car within 100ft of mine, but every day when I leave there are always car next to me, or near me. Usually they are nice cars than mine most of the time.

Example is, today I parked outside, far from the entrance in the 1st of a 3 row parking. When I left for lunch, there was a BMW 6 series and a Lotus in the other 2 spots. When I came back The Lotus was gone and in my parking spot was a Mercedes AMG C class.

Now, peeking out the window I see the Mercedes is gone and there is an Escalade on 22" wheels and the BMW has been replaced with a Jaguar (not sure what type, but it looks awesome)
Old 03-27-09, 02:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I really hate this when a big freaking SUV parks next to me. I never park into compact spots as I know another idiot with SUV or van will try to squeeze his car into compact spot next to mine. Those door dings are not cheap to repair. Makes me so mad just thinking about it.
Old 03-27-09, 02:40 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

i hate when ppl do that...esp if its really close to me and i cant get in
Old 03-27-09, 02:46 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe the ISX50 is the big big magnet
Old 03-27-09, 02:51 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Originally Posted by link13
I've noticed it with my car, too. I had it back from paint only a week and went out to lunch. I parked it away from other cars and, when I came out, this POS Chrysler convertible was parked right next to me. It was easily the worst car in the parking lot. Since then, I haven't been parking as far away. I'll find an area of the lot where there are some cars and park 2-3 spaces away from someone with a decent or nice car. The better their car is, the less yours will stand out. Give them room, though, or they'll be pissed. It's worked well so far. I guess seeing a shiny new or newly painted car away from everyone else is too much for some idiots to resist.
I totally agree. By parking to other nice cars...you effectively camouflage yourself from would-be idiots.

Quick Reply: The Lexus Parking Phenomenon