IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why would someone choose the IS over ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 12:24 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, its just rocking a lexus logo this time around
Old 03-25-09, 01:54 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blklexo818
is that would mean, an acura is not a honda? i know by hand, that the rsx-s is simply a reshaped honda civic, the suspension, subframe, exhaust, motor, seats, etc, off a civic em2 can be fit into an rsx-s or vise versa.
Just because the parts are interchangeable... doesnt mean an acura is a honda.

1) Is the interior generally nicer in acura's
2) Are the suspensions different?
3) How is the sound dampning
4) Quality of finish

ETC... they are not the same. Doesnt the RSX also have more HP and a better transmission? I dont really know much about these cars.
Old 03-25-09, 04:25 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Just because the parts are interchangeable... doesnt mean an acura is a honda.

1) Is the interior generally nicer in acura's
2) Are the suspensions different?
3) How is the sound dampning
4) Quality of finish

ETC... they are not the same. Doesnt the RSX also have more HP and a better transmission? I dont really know much about these cars.
1) interiors the same, just has "leather" in most parts
2) suspensions are not all different, accord coilovers/suspension works on a tsx, civics works on an rsx
3) ??
4) same junk, rsx is notorious for 2nd/3rd gear grind, that was the main reason why i got rid of mine, 2nd gear grind

rsx-s does have alot more hp vs the em2 civic (2001-2005) the transmission is somewhat worse, alot of guys that do turbos in the rsx usually end up w/ a civics transmission because of gear ratios help the traction (not civic em2, ep3, the hatch back) subframe is a bolt on, guys doing rsx-s swaps into their em2 civics get the subframe to bolt up directly, only thing they need after is mounts for the motor, not the frame itsself.
suspension wise, coilovers right off a civic swap directly into an rsx. no moddifcation needed to make it work. i had to buy a civic's oem/stock sway bar to clear my jdm race header (buddyclub) for the rsx, direct bolt on, didnt have to change bushings, tie knods or anything. anymore quesions? ask ehehhehe
Old 03-25-09, 07:22 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blklexo818
1) interiors the same, just has "leather" in most parts
2) suspensions are not all different, accord coilovers/suspension works on a tsx, civics works on an rsx
3) ??
4) same junk, rsx is notorious for 2nd/3rd gear grind, that was the main reason why i got rid of mine, 2nd gear grind

rsx-s does have alot more hp vs the em2 civic (2001-2005) the transmission is somewhat worse, alot of guys that do turbos in the rsx usually end up w/ a civics transmission because of gear ratios help the traction (not civic em2, ep3, the hatch back) subframe is a bolt on, guys doing rsx-s swaps into their em2 civics get the subframe to bolt up directly, only thing they need after is mounts for the motor, not the frame itsself.
suspension wise, coilovers right off a civic swap directly into an rsx. no moddifcation needed to make it work. i had to buy a civic's oem/stock sway bar to clear my jdm race header (buddyclub) for the rsx, direct bolt on, didnt have to change bushings, tie knods or anything. anymore quesions? ask ehehhehe
Yeah... but being interchangeable is not the same. Honestly, I dont know much about Acura's or Honda's.... but.....

You said it yourself, the Tranny on the RSX is different/worse than a Civic Transmission... the motor on the RSX is more powerful than a civic motor, the interior of the RSX has more leather, the suspension is different.

If the engine, transmission, suspension and interior are different on the RSX vs the Civic, how could you conclude that the RSX is a glorified Civic?
Old 03-25-09, 09:47 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

and this has to do with ES vs IS because...
Old 03-25-09, 11:00 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Yeah... but being interchangeable is not the same. Honestly, I dont know much about Acura's or Honda's.... but.....

You said it yourself, the Tranny on the RSX is different/worse than a Civic Transmission... the motor on the RSX is more powerful than a civic motor, the interior of the RSX has more leather, the suspension is different.

If the engine, transmission, suspension and interior are different on the RSX vs the Civic, how could you conclude that the RSX is a glorified Civic?
They arent different if you can directly swap them off car to car. The ep3 Civic which is a K-series motor like the RSX, uses the same clutch master/slave cylinder system, the rsx one blows out really quick, and guys replace them w/ the civics because its a little better and longer lasting. The frame is simply changed, but not so much because as i mention, majority of the stock/oem parts fits from dc5 frame (rsx) and em2/ep3(civic 2dr and civic hatch)

But this tops if off, if this doesnt convince you i give up

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=37063906 ........even the dash.
Old 03-25-09, 11:27 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

You guys do realize that the original dbag poster hasn't replied to this dumb thread since the 23rd
Old 03-25-09, 11:38 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

rly? lol
Old 03-26-09, 05:52 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by mvlbr
You guys do realize that the original dbag poster hasn't replied to this dumb thread since the 23rd
lol, continue please
IS people are mad scary
geez calm down guys...
it was just a question, no need to get all worked up and personal.
thanks for all the replies, now I see the differences more clearly.
Old 03-26-09, 05:57 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

^
That's not nice. He's not a dbag. He just asked the question in the wrong way in the IS forums. If he asked it in the ES forums, I'm sure he would have gotten some pretty different responses heh
Old 03-26-09, 06:11 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by ELL Y
^
That's not nice. He's not a dbag. He just asked the question in the wrong way in the IS forums. If he asked it in the ES forums, I'm sure he would have gotten some pretty different responses heh
Probably.
If I ever want another sedan (I'm happy with crossovers [RX] atm), I would probably go with the IS 350 or GS now.
What do you guys think about this statement:
"The Lexus IS250 is a chick car. Funny that. Its predecessor, the IS300, was such a guy car." <- from TheTruthAboutCars
Old 03-26-09, 06:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Guys please keep this thread impersonal and polite (mvlbr, I specifically mean your name calling if there is any question in your mind) and focused on the ES vs IS topic, not Acura vs Honda. Thank you
Old 03-26-09, 06:21 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

Meowmix,

wow, if I had more time I would go back and look at all your previous posts and see if they are equally incendiary.
Old 03-26-09, 07:06 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meowmix52
I'm a bit confused here. The 2.5L IS actually has a slower 0-60 time (8.3 s) of any sedan. So why would someone choose that over the slightly more priced ES, which is roomier as well.
The only reason I can think of is the ES looks kind of fugly compared to the IS.
I recently read a review of the latest ES, like most reviews they talked about how the interior is very lexus (nice) and it's got a quiet ride, etc., etc., the final sentence in the review said "... a really nice Camry."
Old 03-28-09, 08:03 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by PMok
Meowmix,

wow, if I had more time I would go back and look at all your previous posts and see if they are equally incendiary.
Here's another one of my incendiary comments:

Why do people call the IS a "sport" cars or why are "sport" cars called "sport."
Is driving really a sport? Lmao, I am behind the wheel,and so fit all the while moving my arms and pumping the Gas/Brake.

Seriously, those people who consider NASCAR a sport just because it requires mental concentration etc. should get a life. Is doing math a sport? No!

Quick Reply: Why would someone choose the IS over ES?