IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250AWD---First road trip review from mountains of WV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 02:08 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS250AWD---First road trip review from mountains of WV

Our first roadtrip with the family in the hills of WV (ski trip) have revealed quite a few traits of the IS.

1. Suspension. What seemed overly stiff at slow speeds around town really shows up as near perfect calibration for 75-85mph on a hilly, winding interstate or state highway. Perfect composure, without harshness or wallowing. Very comfortable at speed. Only washboard surfaces upset things. Potholes are absorbed well, and impact harshness is low. I started off thinking the ride would be stiff at speed. Not so.

2. Steering. NICE! telepathic. Easy to control the line. I know the steernig is electric assist, but it feels natural, well weighted and very accurate. Easy to pick your line and stick to it. Effort is just about right.

3. Driving comfort. Nice seats for a long trip. 7 hours didn't fatigue us at all. Car is snug for 3 (with 3rd beinga 6yr old) but not overly so. Cabin stays quiet and HVAC system keeps temps very comfortable.

4. Power. Power is adequate. The quick shifting powertrain helps to keep the engine in its powerband with good ratios. Not really a quick car, but entertaining, and fairly quick on a twisty road. The upshot is that fuel economy even with AWD was 27mpg (car not broken in yet), and included lots of hills, switchbacks and cruising 75-85mph. Paddle shifters are a really nice feature, and constantly used on the state roads and hills.

5. Cruise control: has an annoying trait up steeper inclines at 75mph. Wants to drop two gears to 4th gear too easily and surges when doing so. If I select 5th in advance, it keeps 5th. I'm sure lack of torque from the smaller engine doesn't help. Otherwise, cruise works well.

6. The Bridgestone junk installed at the factory actually didn't do too bady on a rainy highway at speed. Felt secure in the rain up to 80mph and didn't want to hydroplane. Still felt really well connected. I know these tires are universally hated, but for this trip, they did well.

All in all, very pleased. We've owned a GS400, LS400 and currently have an LX470 and I'd say the IS compares favorably on a trip as long as you don't need lots of space. It is more comfortable on the road than expected.
Old 03-16-09, 03:05 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good everyday driver performance review. Thanks for the read
Old 03-16-09, 03:15 PM
blk250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good overall review ... agree with point #5
Old 03-16-09, 03:21 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What year do you have?
Old 03-16-09, 10:11 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

I def had the same experience with my AWD and your #5
Old 03-17-09, 06:36 AM
NJMCTSV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC300T
Our first roadtrip with the family in the hills of WV (ski trip) have revealed quite a few traits of the IS.

1. Suspension. What seemed overly stiff at slow speeds around town really shows up as near perfect calibration for 75-85mph on a hilly, winding interstate or state highway. Perfect composure, without harshness or wallowing. Very comfortable at speed. Only washboard surfaces upset things. Potholes are absorbed well, and impact harshness is low. I started off thinking the ride would be stiff at speed. Not so.

2. Steering. NICE! telepathic. Easy to control the line. I know the steernig is electric assist, but it feels natural, well weighted and very accurate. Easy to pick your line and stick to it. Effort is just about right.

3. Driving comfort. Nice seats for a long trip. 7 hours didn't fatigue us at all. Car is snug for 3 (with 3rd beinga 6yr old) but not overly so. Cabin stays quiet and HVAC system keeps temps very comfortable.

4. Power. Power is adequate. The quick shifting powertrain helps to keep the engine in its powerband with good ratios. Not really a quick car, but entertaining, and fairly quick on a twisty road. The upshot is that fuel economy even with AWD was 27mpg (car not broken in yet), and included lots of hills, switchbacks and cruising 75-85mph. Paddle shifters are a really nice feature, and constantly used on the state roads and hills.

5. Cruise control: has an annoying trait up steeper inclines at 75mph. Wants to drop two gears to 4th gear too easily and surges when doing so. If I select 5th in advance, it keeps 5th. I'm sure lack of torque from the smaller engine doesn't help. Otherwise, cruise works well.

6. The Bridgestone junk installed at the factory actually didn't do too bady on a rainy highway at speed. Felt secure in the rain up to 80mph and didn't want to hydroplane. Still felt really well connected. I know these tires are universally hated, but for this trip, they did well.

All in all, very pleased. We've owned a GS400, LS400 and currently have an LX470 and I'd say the IS compares favorably on a trip as long as you don't need lots of space. It is more comfortable on the road than expected.
I just took delivery of a 2009 IS250AWD and love the car - with one exception. I, too, have the Bridgestone Potenza tire and find them noisier than I would have expected, especially at low speeds. Do you find the same?
Old 03-17-09, 07:23 PM
DidItOnEm
Driver School Candidate

im on a road trip right now with my 08 is250awd. its not bad at all. i drove 7 hours from NJ to Niagara falls CA and the another 2 hours north. i love the way it drives. sunday coming up is going to be a straight 9 hour drive back home, cant wait!
Old 03-18-09, 12:12 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the cruise control issue is my main pet peeve about the car, that and the low sound output using an ipod thru the aux input
Old 03-18-09, 10:25 AM
chums
Lead Lap

27mpg at those speeds...you're a lucky man haha
Old 03-18-09, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice writeup and feedback based on real experience.