Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my '09 250 RWD came with all 4 the same size tires
Old 10-16-11, 11:45 AM
GTrice22
Driver School Candidate

Default 18" Wheels all around on Is250 RWD

So I think my car is RWD....and I just purchased aftermarket lobster claw style wheels off ebay. They told me they are TPMS compatible.

They are 18 x 8 all around as oppossed to 18x8.5.

I just want to make sure that when I take them to the dealership on Monday, that the dealer will install them with me. I was hoping they were staggered, but they are not...and the price was good.
Honestly, I'm not an aggressive driver and really just like the lobster claw style....so long as these don't trigger any warning lights...i am okay with them not being staggered.

Will I have any issues?
Old 10-16-11, 12:21 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

No, they will be fine.

(The 17" wheels on the RWD aren't even staggered, just the tire sizes, they're all the same wheel -- 17x8.0". Also just because the RWD comes with only staggered sizes in the USA, doesn't mean it does every where. There are factory RWD models without staggered tires, there are no problems with it.)

Jeff
Old 10-16-11, 02:15 PM
Rikg35
Lead Lap

Do what you want its your car, why ask random ppl. Do a you wish.
Old 10-16-11, 02:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by Rikg35
This is correct. People will have different perspectives on what they want to do. Some people prefer the same sized tires all around for a more neutral handling feel, or they don't care as much about handling and just want the way something looks.

That being said, I think most people that were asking in this thread were more concerned with the functionality/not screwing anything up than the opinions of random people.

Jeff
Old 10-16-11, 03:48 PM
GTrice22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This is correct. People will have different perspectives on what they want to do. Some people prefer the same sized tires all around for a more neutral handling feel, or they don't care as much about handling and just want the way something looks.

That being said, I think most people that were asking in this thread were more concerned with the functionality/not screwing anything up than the opinions of random people.

Jeff
Great response Jeff. And you put my mind to rest. I was having buyer's remorse for hours thinking I wouldn't be able to put them on my car without doing some adjustments and I don't want to fool with spacers, etc.

Thanks for the direct answer! Proud to be a Lexus owner...again!
Old 10-16-11, 05:44 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikg35
Yeah don't ask for opinions because you get stupid replies like the one above. Heck, let's just shut this site down and get off the internets.
Old 10-16-11, 06:01 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTrice22
Great response Jeff. And you put my mind to rest. I was having buyer's remorse for hours thinking I wouldn't be able to put them on my car without doing some adjustments and I don't want to fool with spacers, etc.

Thanks for the direct answer! Proud to be a Lexus owner...again!
You will be fine, as long as the tire size is within the rim width range for the size, you're good.

Just make sure the offsets in acceptable ranges if you're going all around for 18". It may look funny because of the same reason unless you do get the wider wheel in the back.

Just for reference assuming stock rim:

8.0" + 45mm front
8.5" + 50mm rear

Can use this site for reference to get a general idea.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Last edited by Sango; 10-16-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-16-11, 06:15 PM
GTrice22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
You will be fine, as long as the tire size is within the rim width range for the size, youa re good.

Just make sure the offsets in acceptable ranges if you're going all around for 18". It may look funny because of the same reason unless you do get the wider wheel in the back.

Just for reference assuming stock rim:

8.0" + 45mm front
8.5" + 50mm rear

Can use this site for reference to get a general idea.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
my plan is to use the same tires that are on my car now. They are 06 18" wheels. I have 225/40zr/18's all the way around. (Don't ask me why the current tires aren't staggerd....I was baffled by this too).

So you think I"ll be okay using the same tires?
Old 10-16-11, 06:20 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be ok, the odometer would be slightly off I would believe - Jeff could you clarify?

I was thinking you had non-staggered wheels and correct staggered tire size tires which would still be fine. Your car would look more like now an AWD inadvertenly. There are some people that have done this but more for winter purposes and doing it for 17" wheels since the 17" wheel are the same all around and going the same size in that aspect.
Old 10-16-11, 06:30 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Should be fine, that is to say your speedometer/odometer may be slightly off (~2-3% off), but I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's still well within the realm of reason, and about the same as the AWD uses for tire sizes. You'll be under 1% difference in rolling diameter from what IS250 RWD models with 16" tires use (205/55R16 on all 4 corners). The IS250 RWD without staggered tires runs the same calibration as other models.

You won't have any problems, and with the wheels now matching the widths of the tires, your rear tires won't look as stretched anymore.

Jeff
Old 10-16-11, 06:52 PM
GTrice22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Should be fine, that is to say your speedometer/odometer may be slightly off (~2-3% off), but I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's still well within the realm of reason, and about the same as the AWD uses for tire sizes. You'll be under 1% difference in rolling diameter from what IS250 RWD models with 16" tires use (205/55R16 on all 4 corners). The IS250 RWD without staggered tires runs the same calibration as other models.

You won't have any problems, and with the wheels now matching the widths of the tires, your rear tires won't look as stretched anymore.

Jeff
thanks....in the future i plan to get some staggered tires for the back, but for now I have to keep the ones I have. I just paid cash for the car and these new wheels...needless to say...#toomuchmoneyallatonce

I just didn't want the dealership to tell me they couldn't put the tires on for me this week cause it was going to cause lights to come on, etc.
Old 10-16-11, 06:57 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

I ran a 215f and 235r on the same size wheel before and it was just fine. Any more than that much of a difference you will get a stretch on one and balloon on the other and look pretty dumb. No offense haha
Old 10-17-11, 06:53 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have no trouble with any staggered setup since it is RWD