IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CF Re-done~~

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 10:07 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robs IS250
NOT REALLY... its not just my dealer... its Lexus in general... thats like putting nitrous on your car and blowing the motor and telling thme to warranty it because the car is still under the mileage... it wont fly... a "little" sticker on the radio will not be accepted by Lexus USA and the dealer will get charged back for it...and the "warranty" wont be voided... they just wont warranty the part...

and a decal on a body part is something totally different than tampering an electrical part.....

Hold on. "Tampering with an electrical part?".... A sticker on your CD players Fascia is very similar to putting a sticker on the hood of your car. The fascia protects the CD player just like a hood protects your motor.

Nitrous on your motor... is a lot different than putting a sticker on the fascia of your CD player. Its not like the sticker causes your Stereo to output 400Watts instead of 300Watts.

A properly applied CF or wood kit wouldnt get in the way of any buttons or the CD Slot. What could the sticker possibly do to warrant denying a warranty claim?
Old 03-16-09, 10:08 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

the radio piece is a stick on and not the same as other parts. Can be removed in 5 secs. Let me know the answer when you find out rob. Thanks
Old 03-16-09, 10:54 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Rob, this must be something new. They never had a problem with my carbon fiber overlay when I needed to get my 2001 IS300 stereo repaired.

NOT REALLY... its not just my dealer... its Lexus in general... thats like putting nitrous on your car and blowing the motor and telling thme to warranty it because the car is still under the mileage... it wont fly... a "little" sticker on the radio will not be accepted by Lexus USA and the dealer will get charged back for it...and the "warranty" wont be voided... they just wont warranty the part...

and a decal on a body part is something totally different than tampering an electrical part.....

Old 03-16-09, 11:01 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

repairing it and swapping it is totally different... it doesnt matter if its applied properly or poorly.. its not part of the OEM radio.. it wasnt added on through the dealer... if your radio goes bad and you take it to the dealer theres chances they might warranty it just to do the job but i HIGHLY doubt it...
Old 03-16-09, 11:50 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

repairing it and swapping it is totally different... it doesnt matter if its applied properly or poorly.. its not part of the OEM radio.. it wasnt added on through the dealer... if your radio goes bad and you take it to the dealer theres chances they might warranty it just to do the job but i HIGHLY doubt it...
Ridiculous. What would be the justification for denying a warranty claim on your stereo? "You put a Sticker on your CD player... thats why it wont read CDs anymore"
Old 03-16-09, 12:18 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

im not trying to argue with you or anything but whats not factory wont be replaced... i work in parts and my radio works just fine so i can care less... if your going to sit here & try to justify whats set in stone then i wont even bother trying to warn you anymore.

just trying to look out for my fellow CL members.

dont take it the wrong way

BTW, they wont try to "justify" that the radio doesnt work because of the sticker..... its just that Lexus USA WILL NOT warranty that when it gets sent back... the dealer's parts dept & service dept will get charged back for the entire job (parts & labor)

Last edited by Robs IS250; 03-16-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 03:22 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

DIY is in the works... I am wrapping the vents lol. I am sorry think design!
Old 03-16-09, 03:32 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Talking

PaPaHoFF,

I got a few questions that I hope you'll keep in mind while you put together your highly anticipated DIY...

1) Is there any heat required to form fit the cloth around edges like when working in vinyl? Or do you simply just stretch the cloth?

2) How did you get such clean cuts on the center console around the shifter area? Did you cut the cloth free form once the cloth dried? Did you use something to trace the shifter pattern? I just received the carbon overlays that I ordered two weeks ago before you posted this awesome thread and I was thinking I could lay the overlay over the cloth and trace with an exacto knife perhaps.

3) For the edges that you've cut around the shifter, does there seem to be any fraying? How delicate is the surface? Is this something that you feel will last and last or will it require potential removal/re-install down the road (assuming proper care and regular wear and tear)?

4) You mentioned that you wanted the clears to be painted professionally...what would that entail to do it yourself? You've done a magnificent job here already...I imagine you could easily paint the clearcoat on the cf yourself.

You did a bangin job on your car and the rest of us can only hope ours turns out as well as yours did (fingers crossed)

Thank you again for sharing this with the rest of the CL community.
Old 03-21-09, 05:12 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

sigh...after 3 hrs or so

it was worth it though...i can take pictures installed later if anyone wants me to
Old 03-22-09, 07:15 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

What was your secret for cutting around the shifter? Also, what did you do for the cup holder "door" Mine doesn't appear like it comes off, so I'm wondering what the underside of your door looks like.
Old 03-22-09, 08:52 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

i sprayed the glue and let it dry for about roughly an hr or so. i did everything else while it was drying. i did the shifter last. I used an exacto and a razer blade. I found it was easier to cut in with the exacto then use a razer blade to cut the edges all around. have to VERY VERY careful because you can cut yourself badly very easily.

The cup holder trim does come off. You have to take the whole "cup holder" apart. Once removed, use a credit card from the back and just drag the credit card all around. The trim is held down with 6 clips, 3 up front and 3 in the back.

I'll take pictures in a few hours.
Old 03-22-09, 09:14 AM
iLexi
Lead Lap

Looks so klean! So much better than my cf overlay kit
Old 03-22-09, 10:20 AM
mendoza
Driver School Candidate

very clean..I like..great job!!!
Old 03-22-09, 11:13 AM
truciet
Pit Crew

here are more pictures...i am in the process of doing the door switches now

i've decided not to do the silver side trims. i think it looks much better this way

Old 03-22-09, 03:41 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

is it still 40 shipped?

Quick Reply: CF Re-done~~