IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is this covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-11, 10:20 PM
oka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 with 32000 miles on it.when i live chat they ask me about VIN number...they told me still under warranties they will replaces for free but dealer need to look the trims.
Old 04-04-11, 09:35 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanted to post an update on my experience with this windshield molding trim issue:

I bought my 2007 IS350 2 months ago with 56k miles on it, out of factory warranty but it was Certified, however the Certified warranty doesn’t cover wear and tear items like this. The molding was already failing on the car when I bought it, even though it had undergone the Certified inspection which clearly stated no cracked or worn molding, weatherstripping, or trim. Clearly the techs had missed this or ignored it.

I noticed that the cracked windshield molding was only getting worse so I took it back to the dealer I bought it from, explaining the above – mainly, that I knew this wasn’t covered by the CPO warranty but it should have been fixed before I bought it. I also presented my service tech with the below attached document, which I created from multiple different threads on the issue on CL. It shows pictures of other peoples’ exact same issues, and shows all the threads dedicated to this one issue on only one forum (clearly there are similar threads on other forums). I just took screenshots of the first posts of each thread because printing out 5 threads at 10 pages per thread would have been overkill. I explained to him that this was not a normal wear and tear item, but was poor quality materials and poor quality workmanship. Clearly the parts chosen by Lexus for this application were low quality. In addition, many IS owners are having this same issue (which is the main point I wanted to communicate with the below document) and they’re from all different climates, all different mileages, and it doesn’t matter whether you garage your car or not; simply stated, the parts are bad.

The tech was very impressed with this document and asked to keep it and to show to his manager. In the end, they ended up replacing the molding for me free of charge. Now before anyone gets too excited, I should make clear that the dealership covered this cost and did it for me out of goodwill. They contacted Lexus to try and submit for warranty, but Lexus didn’t approve it because it wasn’t covered by the CPO warranty. The dealership didn’t push at all nor did they contact me, they just went ahead and did the repair. If they hadn’t been willing to just goodwill it and they’d called to tell me it wasn’t covered and I’d have to pay for it, then I would have gotten involved with the Lexus reps, shown them the research, etc.

So long story short, my windshield molding got replaced out of warranty by the dealer I bought it from out of goodwill, not on warranty. But if you’re having this same issue out of warranty, I recommend you print the attached Word document and bring it with you to your dealer and make the same plea I did. The total cost for the parts is under $100, and install is a DIY, but it’s more out of principle; Lexus states they don’t cover weatherstripping, but that’s because usually it comes down to a wear and tear issue, but in this specific case this is just failed parts.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Old 04-14-11, 10:12 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intellis
I am trying to get mine done too, I am on the phone with Lexus Inc now. Hopefully they can eat the $225 cost for the parts.
And yes Lexus has decided to pay for the parts. This is a good deal for me because I am out of factory warranty and I do not have an extended warranty.
Old 04-14-11, 10:38 AM
calvin2376
Racer

And yes Lexus has decided to pay for the parts. This is a good deal for me because I am out of factory warranty and I do not have an extended warranty.
So Lexus did decide to pay for the replacement of your windshield molding out of factory warranty?

Can you elaborate on exactly what you did, what you said, what they said, etc for the benefit of the others out there trying to get this fixed out of warranty? I already had mine fixed but at the goodwill of the dealer, not Lexus corporate, so it won't help me as much but I know there are a lot of people out there with this issue trying to get it addressed.
Old 04-14-11, 11:04 AM
viper522
Driver

so if my 2008 CPO w/ 29k has this issue (less than 4yr/50k) I should be able to get it replaced under the original warranty by the dealer too?
Old 04-14-11, 11:12 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by viper522
so if my 2008 CPO w/ 29k has this issue (less than 4yr/50k) I should be able to get it replaced under the original warranty by the dealer too?
Yes, this should not be an issue, just take it to your dealer and they should fix it free of charge.
Old 04-15-11, 07:18 AM
intellis
Pole Position

Per calvin2376,

First I took my car to my dealer, they looked at it and told me that "there is nothing we can do at this level"... one of the reps told me to call Lexus.

I call Lexus Customer Care at 1 800 255 3987 option 3. I began to explain to them that my windshield molding was "aggressively cracking and tearing". I also explained to them that I wash my car and wax it regularly and that I have a car cover that I use everyday to protect it from the damaging UV rays. I also explained to them that I own a 1994 Dodge Duster and the trim on it looks better than this high end Lexus that I just paid top dollar for. I then went on to discuss that numerous people are having the same issue in other states. I made the point that " this is an issue with the quality of the windhshield trim that Lexus decided to purchase". The Lexus rep took note and said that he would contact my local area service technician, so that the service technician would contact my dealership.

About a week later Lexus called me, and said that "We would pay for the cost of the parts which is $225" and I would pay for the labor. Lexus said they would forward the information to the dealership and that I can come up there anytime to have it replaced.

Once again, I am out of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty.
Old 04-15-11, 07:41 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Per calvin2376,

First I took my car to my dealer, they looked at it and told me that "there is nothing we can do at this level"... one of the reps told me to call Lexus.

I call Lexus Customer Care at 1 800 255 3987 option 3. I began to explain to them that my windshield molding was "aggressively cracking and tearing". I also explained to them that I wash my car and wax it regularly and that I have a car cover that I use everyday to protect it from the damaging UV rays. I also explained to them that I own a 1994 Dodge Duster and the trim on it looks better than this high end Lexus that I just paid top dollar for. I then went on to discuss that numerous people are having the same issue in other states. I made the point that " this is an issue with the quality of the windhshield trim that Lexus decided to purchase". The Lexus rep took note and said that he would contact my local area service technician, so that the service technician would contact my dealership.

About a week later Lexus called me, and said that "We would pay for the cost of the parts which is $225" and I would pay for the labor. Lexus said they would forward the information to the dealership and that I can come up there anytime to have it replaced.

Once again, I am out of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty.
Wow, thank you very much for the detailed info. I know this is going to be hugely helpful to a lot of people because, as you stated, tons of 2IS owners are having this issue.

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-11, 11:14 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

my car is at the dealership right now getting a recall done and the fromt windshield stripping and side windshield as well. Lets see what the outcome is
Old 04-15-11, 11:20 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
my car is at the dealership right now getting a recall done and the fromt windshield stripping and side windshield as well. Lets see what the outcome is
Are they covering it?
Old 04-15-11, 11:28 AM
viper522
Driver

I took a closer look at mine last night. For a garaged car, it mysteriously also suffers the same cracking/tearing windshield seal. It was even indoors at the dealer.

Now the question is - do I take it in now, after owning it for only 2 weeks with temp plates still on it? Or do I wait until my first complimentary oil change and bring it up then (probably 6+ months)?
Old 04-15-11, 12:09 PM
intellis
Pole Position

If I were you I would do it now.
Old 04-15-11, 12:20 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Are they covering it?
WEll i showed it to them and they didnt say anything about it not being covered. THey said we will call u when it done
Old 04-15-11, 12:40 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by viper522
I took a closer look at mine last night. For a garaged car, it mysteriously also suffers the same cracking/tearing windshield seal. It was even indoors at the dealer.

Now the question is - do I take it in now, after owning it for only 2 weeks with temp plates still on it? Or do I wait until my first complimentary oil change and bring it up then (probably 6+ months)?
I'd go now and get it over with. The faster you take care of it the better.
Old 04-15-11, 12:42 PM
viper522
Driver

good thing i have next week off, and the salesman promised me a loaner car if i ever had any issues. ROAD TRIP

Quick Reply: Is this covered under warranty?