IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting Tint how dark should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 11:45 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im at 20 percent all around. kinda wish that i did 5 percent back.
Old 02-19-09, 11:46 AM
Ikon_Vin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
IF you have Tan leather, i suggest you should always go 10% darker....
yup, i got tan leather and went 30% all around, i wished i went darker. it sucks that bums on the street can still see u through ur tint to ask you for money. =P
Old 02-19-09, 12:08 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

I went with 35% ceramic tint on the fronts, rears, and back windows, and 50% on the front windshield.

I think it looks great. Not too dark, and not too light. I think if you decide to go with 35% you might think it is too light without getting the front windshield done.

Another reason I went with the 35% is because the next lower step in the ceramic tint (formula one pinnacle) was 15%, which was too dark for my taste and one of the main reasons i got tint was for the protection of the interior and for the heat blocking ability (which its hard to beat ceramic tint in that category), so I didnt want to jump to a dyed plastic

Anyways, thats just my .02 cents
Old 02-19-09, 12:09 PM
ucla_is25o
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I prefer the uniform look of one shade of tint on all 5 windows, and I have 35% all around on my IS350.
yea I've never been a fan of dark tint (esp. obsidian and dark colored cars). I've yet to tint my '09 and thinking maybe I'll get the lightest tint possible, but obviously dark enough to actually tell the windows have been tinted. 35% is the lightest right?
Old 02-19-09, 01:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ucla_is25o
yea I've never been a fan of dark tint (esp. obsidian and dark colored cars). I've yet to tint my '09 and thinking maybe I'll get the lightest tint possible, but obviously dark enough to actually tell the windows have been tinted. 35% is the lightest right?
50% is the lightest, in terms of being worth the trouble.

Tint%'s vary, but common tint %'s are 50/35/20.
Old 02-19-09, 02:37 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

50% looks like it has been tinted a little, but I agree with you (not a fan of dark tint on dark cars) and I personally think 35% look really classy.
Old 02-19-09, 03:56 PM
tieu
Rookie

i have 15% tint all around.. you can never tell whos inside just a figure that someone is there

when you look at the tints on an angle you cant see in at all
Old 02-19-09, 04:02 PM
ucla_is25o
Rookie

hmm ic.. I've heard of ceramic tint but does it just look the same from outside as "regular" tint but does a better job protecting your interior? and it has something to do with AM radio reception n stuff, right?

Last edited by ucla_is25o; 02-19-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 04:06 PM
Ikonz350
Lead Lap

35% all around is nice.
Old 02-19-09, 04:57 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

I say go 25 all around. if your interior is dark then the tint looks darker from the outside. Plus youll be glad you did 25 cause 5 percent in the rear is horrible at night.
Old 02-19-09, 05:06 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

hmm ic.. I've heard of ceramic tint but does it just look the same from outside as "regular" tint but does a better job protecting your interior? and it has something to do with AM radio reception n stuff, right?
Apparently it keeps a higher percentage of heat out of your car. Im not sure about the UV rays (which is what would damage your interior) but i think it might be the same as the "regular" or metallic or dyed tints.

There is dyed plastic tint, metallic, and ceramic.
Ceramic keeps the most heat out (based on percentage) and it also will not affect the electronics in your car (not sure if there is any truth to the metallic screwing with your electronics)

Metallic tint...well the tint shop said just forget about that stuff, so I wouldnt put it in there

The dyed plastics keep out the least amount of heat, but there are more options (percentage wise) and it is the cheapest.

Again, I opted for the ceramic for the heat blockage and bc it would not affect my electronics (tpms, navi, ect.)

Now, before anyone blasts me for saying something that is false... This is just my understanding of the tints and different types of materials
Old 02-19-09, 05:15 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by IStrip50
Metallic tint...well the tint shop said just forget about that stuff, so I wouldnt put it in there

Again, I opted for the ceramic for the heat blockage and bc it would not affect my electronics (tpms, navi, ect.)

Now, before anyone blasts me for saying something that is false... This is just my understanding of the tints and different types of materials
Not blasting, just informing.

Metallic should not affect the nav system, since it uses the GPS sensor that is located at the front of the dash where tint should not be (it's not legal in any state to have the front windshield tinted below the "ANSI" lines). The metallic tint will however mess with remote start antennas if they are not mounted below the line, much like the Mercedes has a small square cut out near the bottom of their windshield with the new ultra uber UV protecto shield stuff to let the signal get through for keyless entry. Bet they loved having to figure that one out.

Metallic tints should not affect other electronics like TPMS or your fone, since TPMS is wired to the sensors and your fone is broadcasting the signal out.

Oh, and I prefer 5% on the back and 30% on the fronts so I'm legal and because it's hotter than blazes in summer time and I'm not burning my ***!!

Big Mack
Old 02-19-09, 05:43 PM
holYcOO
Pole Position

I just got 20% tint today on my SGM with Black interior. GO FOR 20%!

I had 35% before my other car. 20% is great!

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

At night time it's still visible to drive around. I wouldn't want 5%.
Old 02-19-09, 09:28 PM
Rouhi
Driver School Candidate

I have 5 % all around. By the way whos cares about cops i know i dont
Old 02-20-09, 05:38 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your interior plays a big roll in this. I would go no lighter then 20%.

Quick Reply: Getting Tint how dark should I go?