IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any 6 foot plus IS Drivers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 06:00 PM
CReynolds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 6 foot plus IS Drivers out there?

Hi guys!

First post. Glad to be here.

Now, I am 6'2" about 245 and I love the looks of the IS. I want one. I could get the GS, but I don't like it as much as the IS. My only hesitation is my size. I'm a big guy. Any other big guys out there driving this car? Opinions? Regrets?

Thanks,

-Coley

Cead Mile Failte
Old 02-18-09, 06:10 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might want to consider the GS as a better option

not much room for me to move around (6 ft height)
Old 02-18-09, 06:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Depends on what you're used to driving. I'm 6'2", ~235 and I like it just fine even on long trips (Sacramento to Atlanta, Atlanta to Brooklyn, etc.). If you're an SUV kind of guy, you probably won't like it.
Old 02-18-09, 06:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the back seat. Have you dared to let a 6 footer ride back there for more than a few minutes?
Old 02-18-09, 06:39 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a GS owner (6'2, 235) and I love the size and feel of the IS, I usually ask for one when my car is in for service at the stealership. I love it until I get back in my GS :-)
Old 02-18-09, 06:39 PM
ocbc
Rookie

I drive a GMC Sierra 1500 and the GF has an IS. I am 6'-3, 285lbs. I enjoy it. No one is going to be behind me in the back seat, but I feel comfortable. SO much so, I am considering trading the truck in on a 350! hehe.

Go to the dealer sit in it for a bit. Try it out. Possible rent one for a couple days if you are that concerned with it.
Old 02-18-09, 06:42 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Back seat sucks but Im 6'1 180pds but could sit back there ok as long as noone is in the middle where the hump is. On occasion, I drive an Escalade & Toyota Tundra as well but I still like the IS better because of how quick & agile it is compared to the SUV & truck.
Old 02-18-09, 06:43 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 6'2" and 220 and there is not much room to move around. It is comfortable but on some of the longer drive's (2+ hours) I start to feel a little cramped in the leg area. Most people do not fit behind me either unless they are little.
Old 02-18-09, 06:53 PM
CReynolds
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input!

I am used to driving an SUV, but really need to downsize. The family already has a Pathfinder, in addition to my Explorer. I would be getter rid of the Explorer when I buy the next car (whether it is a GS or IS). I will need drop the kids off at school in the morning, as is the routine now. What are the chances of the little guy and gal fitting back there. Right now they are 7 and 3, but I think they might grow a little

I don't mind little cars, i used to drive a Mazda RX-7 and before that a Lancia (although I don't remember which model). I used to take both on 2 to 3 hour trips with no problems. And if we need to drag the whole family around, we will have the SUV.

Hey ZippyGuy:

Which model GS do you have? The GS seems like a tweener model to me, not quite an LS and not quite an IS, but trying to be a little of both. Of course, I have never driven one, so I could be doing that bad assumption thing

Thanks again guys

-Coley

Cead Mile Failte
Old 02-18-09, 07:06 PM
player1
Driver

I'm 6'0, 180 lbs. I have an IS350 and my father has a GS350 that I drive occasionally when I'm in town. Anyhow, the GS has much more room compared to the IS. The IS isn't necessarily small, but rather "cozy" I guess. Leg room in the back seat is minimal and if you have someone sitting behind the driver, either the passenger or driver will be uncomfortable. That's is the only time that I've felt cramped: when I've had 3 other people the in the car. If you're going to having 3-4 people in your car often, then I would def. recommend the GS. However if the car is mainly for yourself, then definitely get the IS. I feel "one" with the road when I'm in the IS because it's like a go kart. I usually don't whip the GS around when I drive it just because it's a heavier car and not as fun to drive. I like to really DRIVE the IS where as I just cruise in the GS. Hope this helps man.
Old 02-18-09, 07:13 PM
ice40i
Driver School Candidate

im 6'5 255lbs and im good got my seat all the way back though but i dont feel crowded at all....
Old 02-18-09, 07:15 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

Im 6'2"/285 and I had no problem in the IS...though the pillar inbetween the backseat and the front seat was right next to me, almost like a blind spot... The GS was definately a better option for me, though I was still comfortable and would drive an IS350 if I could afford it.
Old 02-18-09, 07:17 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Get the GS. If you get the IS now, you will have buyers remorse later.
Old 02-18-09, 07:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some 6' friends... when they are in the passenger seat, there is enough room for a small to medium size person in the back seat... no way a large person will fit! ... but you said 2 kids... so they should be fine.
Old 02-18-09, 07:35 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

6'2" 225, fairly big torso, short arms, longish legs. (I telescope the wheel all the way out and it's barely enough.

Had a 5'7" guy behind me and he was not having fun.

I don't push it all the way back but I can't spike my hair more than 3"

It'll be snug, but that's always been my preference. I do not like my car to feel like a lounger chair. I commute 90 miles a day, so I'd say it's comfy.

Quick Reply: Any 6 foot plus IS Drivers out there?