IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Financial Implications of a Trade-In

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 12:33 AM
LexusLifer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Financial Implications of a Trade-In

So I've read the multiple posts regarding OEM and aftermarket Nav projects/swaps. Seems to me -- since I really want the OEM system -- that trading in my current car for one that has what I want is the cheapest and easiest way.

My questions are...

My car is leased. Got my AWD just a little over a year ago. What kind of financial situation will I be put in with a trade-in? Will going this route classify me as breaking my lease agreement?

As bad as I want the navigation system, I won't be dumb about it and throw away loads of cash. Anyone's input is welcome and greatly appreciated. Figured I get fellow owner's honest opinion rather than a stealership mind who might steer me in another direction. I should have avoided this mess and just gone with the nav system from the outset . Thanks everyone.
Old 02-17-09, 04:50 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

I have the nav. its nice, but Garmin systems costing 75% less do much more. Speak street names. Traffic and weather updates. Double as an ipod to record music on the unit. And you can use them while driving, which is helpful. Also, in 3-5 years you can just chuck it and buy a new unit, probably with tons of features yet to be invented, and still be way ahead.

In retrospect, I dont know if i would get the factory NAV again. Aside from the $2600 initial investment, I have heard that if the unit breaks out of warranty it could set you back $7k to fix. Also, I did a quick kbb trade in value of 2 cars, nav vs. non-nav, and the trade in with the nav unit was only $500 more.

It is nice, i like having it, but if i could go back in time i would probably skip the Lexus nav, buy a 62" flat screen TV, a $500 Garmin, and still have over $1,000 in my pocket.
Old 02-17-09, 05:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
I have the nav. its nice, but Garmin systems costing 75% less do much more. Speak street names. Traffic and weather updates. Double as an ipod to record music on the unit. And you can use them while driving, which is helpful. Also, in 3-5 years you can just chuck it and buy a new unit, probably with tons of features yet to be invented, and still be way ahead.

In retrospect, I dont know if i would get the factory NAV again. Aside from the $2600 initial investment, I have heard that if the unit breaks out of warranty it could set you back $7k to fix. Also, I did a quick kbb trade in value of 2 cars, nav vs. non-nav, and the trade in with the nav unit was only $500 more.

It is nice, i like having it, but if i could go back in time i would probably skip the Lexus nav, buy a 62" flat screen TV, a $500 Garmin, and still have over $1,000 in my pocket.

That's pretty much -exactly- what I did.

Realtime traffic, spoken street names, lane assist, and more- all features the OEM unit can't do, for over 2k less, plus I can take it with me on trips for rental cars, put it in my wifes car when we use it, and in a couple years when they add even more new features I can pay $250-300 and get a new one and sell the old one for $50 on ebay.

Plus new maps are $75/yr, versus $300/yr for the OEM nav. (or $99-120 for the lifetime of the device if you prefer for Garmin and plan to update more than once)

And it doesn't cripple itself when I put the car in drive either.
Old 02-17-09, 07:11 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I have the OEM Nav which I don't use. I really didn't want it, but all the Fs in my area came with it. I have navigation on my phone. I can use my phone anywhere and in any vehicle I want. My truck, a rental or where ever I happen to be without my car. I can also make changes while the car is in motion. I tried to sync the navigation in my phone with bluetooth, so I could hear the directions over my speakers, but a no go. I can sync the phone but not the navigation. Verizon confirmed that this can not be done So, I bought a aux cable with an adapter for the headphone jack on my phone. I can plug this in to the aux input and now I get the navigation directions over my speaker system. Sort of Kludgy, but it works.

Lou
Old 02-17-09, 09:27 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLifer
My car is leased. Got my AWD just a little over a year ago. What kind of financial situation will I be put in with a trade-in? Will going this route classify me as breaking my lease agreement?
In order to end a lease early through trade-in, you will have to pay off the residual value of the vehicle (see your lease paperwork), PLUS the value of all remaining payments.

For example, let's say you have 24 months left in your lease at $400, and the residual value of your car is around $20,000 at lease end. The dealer would have to give you $29,600 in order for you to break even on a trade in. More than likely the dealer will gladly take your car in trade, but they will roll the negative equity on to your new lease/loan, increasing the payment and creating even more negative equity on your next car from the onset.

Your only other options are: 1) Buy the car from Lexus Financial (assuming that's your lease company), and sell it on your own to hopefully recoup a few bucks; or 2) Use a site like leasetrader.com to see if you can find someone that will assume the lease for the remaining lease period.

Your best bet, of course, is to grin and bear it, because you're going to potentially lose thousands of dollars just to get into a car that costs even more.

Good luck.

Edit: By the way, despite it being a bad financial decision to trade up, I have to tell you that I disagree with the above replies bashing the OEM unit. The nav itself isn't extraordinary, but it's integrated so nicely with the rest of the car that it's worth it, in my opinion. It's nice to have audio, climate control, settings, bluetooth, etc. all on one touch screen. There's more to this decision than "I can buy aftermarket nav".

Last edited by 15951; 02-17-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-17-09, 10:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 15951
By the way, despite it being a bad financial decision to trade up, I have to tell you that I disagree with the above replies bashing the OEM unit. The nav itself isn't extraordinary, but it's integrated so nicely with the rest of the car that it's worth it, in my opinion. It's nice to have audio, climate control, settings, bluetooth, etc. all on one touch screen. There's more to this decision than "I can buy aftermarket nav".

Whereas I find that "integration" to be worse.

if I want to change the climate control on my car, I don't have to change through different screens on the nav first, I just directly push the button on the dash, done.

When I had a loaner with nav it was annoying as hell to go through a bunch of extra steps everytime I wanted to do something because it was all on different screens, rather than having an easy physical button for each thing.

(and that's apart from how much better the actual nav interface is on a garmin)
Old 02-17-09, 10:43 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

just get a portable GPS system. problem solved.
Old 02-17-09, 11:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Whereas I find that "integration" to be worse.

if I want to change the climate control on my car, I don't have to change through different screens on the nav first, I just directly push the button on the dash, done.

When I had a loaner with nav it was annoying as hell to go through a bunch of extra steps everytime I wanted to do something because it was all on different screens, rather than having an easy physical button for each thing.

(and that's apart from how much better the actual nav interface is on a garmin)
I have nav, and there's never more than ONE extra step by doing anything thru the nav screen.

I like the nav, but I'd never go thru the cost and hassle to "trade up". Buy a Garmin.
Old 02-17-09, 11:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I guess when you're used to 0 extra steps, even 1 extra step seems like a hassle :P

If you want a garmin with just about the entire current feature set, and lifetime traffic service too, I can recommend the Nuvi 765T if you want bluetooth, or the 755T if you don't... ($379 or $338 respectively)... if you don't need lane assist or traffic you can get nice units under 200 bucks that still speak street names, have bluetooth, etc.
Old 02-17-09, 11:42 AM
strife
Rookie

If money is your concern just get the garmin...
Old 02-17-09, 04:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A trade will end up being a $10K plus nav system upgrade.
Old 02-17-09, 04:50 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

In hindsight, I'm not sure I'd get it again. I keep it shut off most of the time (since I know where I'm going most of the time, although some might disagree), and it does create the extra step to get to audio and climate controls. The main benefit for me has been the backup camera, since the rear deck is higher than I've had on previous cars.
Old 02-17-09, 04:53 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

How much longer are you on the leased?

Just stick to what you have now. Simple on yourself. Even a cell phone have GPS guidance.

You find better deal by buying a car right now w/ nav, than leasing just for the Nav. upgrade.
Old 02-17-09, 05:13 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't find that there are "extra steps" involved with the NAV. If I want to change the temperature in the cabin, I use the up/down buttons near the NAV screen to adjust them. It's rare that I manually control fan speed or airflow source, which is what would take a single extra step.

For audio, there are buttons on the steering wheel to do almost anything you need to do, unless you frequently adjust bass/treble/mid, etc. If you're doing that on ANY stereo, you at least have to press a **** to get to that menu.

Re: the actual use of navigation, your Garmin unit will not mute the stereo and use the speakers in the car for directions. Your Garmin unit probably has a smaller screen as well. There are clear advantages of having the factory unit. The bluetooth also uses the factory speakers, and a mic built into the car. Aftermarket bluetooth phone systems suck.

So far I don't see what the huge burden is of having the NAV. I think it's fantastic, and frankly, the car was designed to have it. Just my opinion, but the dash looks thrown together without it - just doesn't look right.
Old 02-17-09, 05:49 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

For the option when buying the car, I considered it but ultimately passed. I have nav on my phone and paying $2-3K for what amounted to bluetooth integration is not worth it to me. I'm sure I've spent the money on something else by now.

As a trade-in, you should bring lube.

I have no idea how much you'd lose on the trade, but you could probably buy a nice winter beater for the amount you're going to lose.

Quick Reply: Financial Implications of a Trade-In