IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for Goodyear F1 GS-D3 owners

Old 02-09-09, 09:47 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Goodyear F1 GS-D3 owners

Hi all,

For owners of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, I’d really appreciate if you could tell me:

1) Tire life – Do you think you can get over 25k miles? Do they handle well after 15k miles, or do they start to suck midway through their lifespan?

2) Noise – After 15k miles, do they still sound pretty quiet (or as quiet when they were new?

3) High speed stability / handling – Any issues cruising fast with these tires?

4) Frost – Any problems with driving in frosty/black ice road conditions (30 – 37-degrees)?

I have a 2006 IS350 with 44k miles and am ready for my 3rd set of tires soon. A bit of history – my OEM tires were the Dunlop Sport Maxx that lasted 23k miles. Wanting a higher mileage tire and perhaps slightly better rain performance, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. At 21k miles, my fronts are at 7/32” and rears are at 4/32” thread depth. I suspect I have 3-5k miles left on the rear tires.

I found the Pilot Sport A/S to have a more progressive feel when reaching its limits of adhesion in dry or wet conditions (which I like), but I did not find that they could corner any better at the limit in wet conditions than the summer Sport Maxx tires. In fact, from what I gather, the summer tires might even work better than the all-seasons in wet conditions. Since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where only frost is the only extreme concern, I’m starting to think that perhaps going back to a summer tire is the best choice since mileage is about equal.

I like the price and reviews of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. The Micheline Pilot Sport P2 is also appealing, but they are more expensive.

Thanks! All your thoughts are welcomed!

Ravi
Old 02-09-09, 10:21 AM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump for the OP. I'm also curious about those F1 GS-D3.
Old 02-09-09, 12:28 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Hi all,

For owners of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, I’d really appreciate if you could tell me:

1) Tire life – Do you think you can get over 25k miles? Do they handle well after 15k miles, or do they start to suck midway through their lifespan?

2) Noise – After 15k miles, do they still sound pretty quiet (or as quiet when they were new?

3) High speed stability / handling – Any issues cruising fast with these tires?

4) Frost – Any problems with driving in frosty/black ice road conditions (30 – 37-degrees)?

I have a 2006 IS350 with 44k miles and am ready for my 3rd set of tires soon. A bit of history – my OEM tires were the Dunlop Sport Maxx that lasted 23k miles. Wanting a higher mileage tire and perhaps slightly better rain performance, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. At 21k miles, my fronts are at 7/32” and rears are at 4/32” thread depth. I suspect I have 3-5k miles left on the rear tires.

I found the Pilot Sport A/S to have a more progressive feel when reaching its limits of adhesion in dry or wet conditions (which I like), but I did not find that they could corner any better at the limit in wet conditions than the summer Sport Maxx tires. In fact, from what I gather, the summer tires might even work better than the all-seasons in wet conditions. Since I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where only frost is the only extreme concern, I’m starting to think that perhaps going back to a summer tire is the best choice since mileage is about equal.

I like the price and reviews of the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. The Micheline Pilot Sport P2 is also appealing, but they are more expensive.

Thanks! All your thoughts are welcomed!

Ravi

I had the Goodyear F1 on my previous vehicle, which was a MB CL500.

Tire life: I think I put almost 16k on the tires and I felt they held up pretty well. Fyi: I only drove my CL500 on the weekend.

Noise: yes they were very quiet/I didn’t notice any difference from my stock tires.

High speed stability/handling: I didn’t do any race in my car but the car held up pretty well on 4 long drives to South Carolina

Frost: I didn’t drive my car in the snow so I have no response.