IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Custom Harness Female Connector Pins, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 08:33 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom Harness Female Connector Pins, Help!

Hey guys, im in the process of making a custom harness. I need a little help, does anyone know what kind, where to buy, or an alternative route for the female connectors in a J50, J53, and J51 connector.

I already have the connectors, i need help on the installation of the female pins for the wires that go inside the connectors.

I'll continue my research and add photos for an easier solution, maybe we can come together and get this solved, I've been looking at Fry's and online for the female connectors, I plan on calling and emailing TYCO tomorrow to get some advice, I will let you all know, Luboxracer, you've been pretty good with the advice any thoughts?
Old 02-08-09, 08:39 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

I need advice moreso on the size of the pins and there are some pins that are flathead, in addition how are these female pins installed into the connectors (can they be epoxied, etc.)
Old 02-08-09, 08:42 PM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

can you be more specific, what are you trying to do?
Old 02-08-09, 11:21 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

im in the process of retrofitting a nav unit, if anyone knows of the types of receptacles that fit the J50 connector let me know, its the only thing holding me up, TYCO should let me know something by a day or so
Old 02-08-09, 11:37 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

after looking online i figured out that most receptacles are self locking.
Old 02-09-09, 11:59 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are making a harness? Cool. That will be a lot better that that monster cut and splice I did on my cousins car.

Let me know how it works out. Did you buy that one on ebay with an ML changer?

If you didnt get an antenna, what you should do is buy one from an 07 camry. I have my cousins antenna placed where the center speaker would be.
Old 02-09-09, 01:43 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

yeah, im making a harness, the only problem, is that the connectors do not come with the pins, i found out where to purchase the circular pin contacts(receptacles) but the rectangular pin contacts(receptacles) are not sold by tyco. I dont know what to do as far as that goes, I will have to find an alternative or call toyota!
Old 02-09-09, 02:52 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a DYI on cl somewhere, regarding nav swap, maybe that might help.
Old 02-09-09, 03:19 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

believe me i've done my far share of research on the swap, i just need to know where to get these female contact pins or an alternative way, Ill add some pics very soon.
Old 02-10-09, 09:46 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Oh boy oh boy have I been busy, well guys just for FYI i found the terminals that go inside the connectors. Guess where I found them, at the dealership with a hefty price tag of $12 per terminal with the wire, holy crap, talk about one expensive wiring harness, its going to top $200. Studying techinfo.toyota.com really pays off, but gosh this is a lot to take in, but when im done it should make the swap very easy for anyone to do.
Old 02-10-09, 10:35 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow cool! keep us updated
Old 02-11-09, 08:29 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

oh no!!!! those connectors are impossible to find. you might want to contact egusman on ebay. he makes those custom harness as well but i doubt he's willing to share his parts.
Old 02-11-09, 05:59 PM
350PsDMeuP
Instructor

Originally Posted by dojoman
oh no!!!! those connectors are impossible to find. you might want to contact egusman on ebay. he makes those custom harness as well but i doubt he's willing to share his parts.
they're impossible to find on techinfo.toyota.com, but after hours and hours of searching, its possible to find them. I've talked to egusman in the past and he will NOT sell you just the harness you have to buy everything from him, but I'm making progress, it should be done in a week or so.
Old 02-11-09, 06:11 PM
RicTio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 350PsDMeuP
Oh boy oh boy have I been busy, well guys just for FYI i found the terminals that go inside the connectors. Guess where I found them, at the dealership with a hefty price tag of $12 per terminal with the wire, holy crap, talk about one expensive wiring harness, its going to top $200. Studying techinfo.toyota.com really pays off, but gosh this is a lot to take in, but when im done it should make the swap very easy for anyone to do.
Dealer markups for W/Hs were always a crock! I used to work for one of Toyota's major W/H suppliers... just take the OEM price and multiply it by some number a few times and you would probably get close to the dealer price. Anyways, did they give you part numbers (90980-XXXXX) and wire type (CHFUS, AVSS, etc) for what they actually quoted you for?
Old 02-11-09, 06:21 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

One thing you will have to keep in mind. If the ISx50 has a ML system and you want to add the navi with ML dvd. You will need the optical cable to connect between the head unit and the amp.

That's one of the thing i found out when i had a unit from egusman. If your wondering i dont have the unit from him anymore. I returned it because there was other things that did not work.

Quick Reply: Custom Harness Female Connector Pins, Help!