IS350 differential fluid change DIY - Page 5 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

IS350 differential fluid change DIY

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-09, 10:05 AM   #61
Gernby
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 3,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollings View Post
Okay, so is the consensus that I shouldn't worry with changing the differential fluid in my '08 IS350 with 16k miles? I don't have my service manual handy, but the dealer *said* it's a factory scheduled service and not a dealer preferred service.
Did he tell you that it's time to change your power steering fluid too? Your dealer is just fishing for businees.
Gernby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:31 AM   #62
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 7,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollings View Post
Okay, so is the consensus that I shouldn't worry with changing the differential fluid in my '08 IS350 with 16k miles? I don't have my service manual handy, but the dealer *said* it's a factory scheduled service and not a dealer preferred service.
As usual, the dealer lies.

Factory service manual is also available at lexus.com in PDF if you've misplaced yours. Differential fluid change is -never- called for at any mileage in it for the US 2IS.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:56 AM   #63
Hollings
Driver School Candidate
 
Hollings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Factory service manual is also available at lexus.com in PDF if you've misplaced yours. Differential fluid change is -never- called for at any mileage in it for the US 2IS.
Niiiice. So looks like I would have been paying around $400 for a oil change and inspection.
Hollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 11:23 AM   #64
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 7,810
Default

Yup. Which is how the dealers pay for those nice free snacks while you wait!

Scheduled service pretty much consists of the following on the 2IS (non-manual transmission, RWD):


Every 5k: change the oil.

Every 15k: Check/clean the air and cabin filters (easy to do yourself)

Every 30k: Change brake fluid, Change the air and cabin filters (easy to do yourself)

Every 60k: Change spark plugs

Every 100k: Change coolant.

Anything else is your dealer inserting profit.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-02-12 at 01:10 PM.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 12:52 PM   #65
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,079
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Factory service manual is also available at lexus.com in PDF if you've misplaced yours. Differential fluid change is -never- called for at any mileage in it for the US 2IS.

Something just doesn't seem right with that..

It states... "Inspect, Inspect, Inspect"....

I can't believe that the diffo fluid NEVER has to be changed out... There seems to be a drain & refill plug for a reason.

Something you don't easily find on the transmission, but its there too..

Joe Z
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 01:23 PM   #66
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 7,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Something just doesn't seem right with that..

It states... "Inspect, Inspect, Inspect"....

I can't believe that the diffo fluid NEVER has to be changed out... There seems to be a drain & refill plug for a reason.

Something you don't easily find on the transmission, but its there too..

Joe Z
It's not really there on the transmission.

Remove the transmission pan entirely (let alone just pull the plug) and you'll remove roughly 10-15% of the total fluid in the system.

There's a fill hole in case you need to add fluid after repairing a leak, but you can't actually -change- the fluid because there's no way to get even a significant amount of it out.


Now the diff, obviously you CAN change that, but nothing in factory scheduled service ever suggests you do so.

It does suggest inspecting to insure there's no leaks of course.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 01:32 PM   #67
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under an IS F since 2008
Posts: 12,079
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
It's not really there on the transmission.

Remove the transmission pan entirely (let alone just pull the plug) and you'll remove roughly 10-15% of the total fluid in the system.
Um they are there....

Lexus & Toyota techs have a special tool/system that pumps new fluid into the transmission while removing all the old fluid..
(or something along those lines)

Removing the pan is not part of the process..

Kurtz, I know people that work on the "inside"..

Definitely not something you can do DIY, unless you have the right equipment.
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 02:20 PM   #68
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 7,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Um they are there....

Lexus & Toyota techs have a special tool/system that pumps new fluid into the transmission while removing all the old fluid..
(or something along those lines)

Removing the pan is not part of the process..

Kurtz, I know people that work on the "inside"..

Definitely not something you can do DIY, unless you have the right equipment.
Where does it connect to?

There was like a 7 page thread on changing the transmission fluid, with Lobuxracer posting numerous TIS clips about how you can't actually change it, and why...

One fella did claim you could hook up a fluid exchanger, using the fluid cooler, and Lance pointed out that was physically impossible since it didn't have a cooler with transmission fluid in the lines, but a heat exchanger with coolant in the lines.


Someone else later also claimed there was a special machine for this but again when asked for details never responded.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think everybody'd love to have something more solid than "Some guy told me there's a special machine that does it in some way nobody has ever explained"
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 07:48 PM   #69
IS350BABY
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
Dealers often suggest services that the car mfg does not.

This would be one such example.
My dealer performed world class inspection on my car when i did the fuel pressure sensor recall, they said that the real differential fluid needs to be replaced.

Should i let the dealer replaced it? or should i don't change the fluid and hopes that the rear differential won't broke anytime soon? my car is 06 IS350 with exact 50K miles.
IS350BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:18 PM   #70
pfdaxe
Pole Position
iTrader: (8)
 
pfdaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS350BABY View Post
My dealer performed world class inspection on my car when i did the fuel pressure sensor recall, they said that the real differential fluid needs to be replaced.

Should i let the dealer replaced it? or should i don't change the fluid and hopes that the rear differential won't broke anytime soon? my car is 06 IS350 with exact 50K miles.
I just did my rear diff last night at work. I used Mobil 1 75w90 @ $8.99 a quart. It took about 10 mins to do. Real easy. Although, I do have a pit at work so all I had to do is walk under the car and look up. I changed the oil & filter also while I was under there. I have 67k and to be honest, the diff fluid still looked very clean. But for $20, it's worth it.
pfdaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 08:21 PM   #71
Sango
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC / Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,290
Default

You could also go with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 as well - I did that on my 250 for 30K service. Funny thing is that the advisor asked me why I wanted to change it when I did not have to but I said I wanted to. In the tech notes when they changed it, they noted the previous fluid was dirty and discolored.
Sango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:01 AM   #72
SilvaIS350
Pole Position
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 360
Default

When should we change fluid at what miles?
SilvaIS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:02 AM   #73
IS350BABY
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 71
Default

^^
Fortunately i live in apartments, so no garage for me to do it myself. The dealer charges me around $90 + tax. Do you guys think its worth it?
IS350BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:08 AM   #74
toHn
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (23)
 
toHn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So Central LA baby!
Posts: 1,277
Default

Great write up..


toHn
toHn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:44 AM   #75
pfdaxe
Pole Position
iTrader: (8)
 
pfdaxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvaIS350 View Post
When should we change fluid at what miles?
My manual states at 60k, 120k etc. if equipt with limited slip diff.
pfdaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Differential Fluid Change DIY w/Pics roadfrog LS - 4th Gen (2007-present) 19 03-26-16 07:39 PM
2011 ISF Differential Fluid Change questions. wiloz32 IS F (2008-2014) 8 12-21-15 09:11 PM
2010 IS-F LSD Differential into 2008 IS-F. Completed. *Pics* MisterSkiz IS F (2008-2014) 97 10-01-15 07:20 PM
Changed Oil/Differentials and Transfer Case Fuids - Not Hard 98Nav400 GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) 16 11-09-14 06:07 AM
Quick transmission question lddrew RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) 5 04-14-12 11:30 PM


Tags
07, 2007, 430, 80w90, change, changing, cost, differential, diy, fluid, is250, is350, lexus, rear, service, transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved