IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is there a completely safe HID conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 10:22 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a completely safe HID conversion?

One of the things I really miss from my last car is nice HID lights.

Is there anyone who switched from the standard yellowish headlights to the much nicer HID lights? I feel like i've read that people added the HID lights, but that the power source was incorrect, and they soon overheated or burnt out...

Is there any easy conversion using Lexas parts and ensuring the electrical is all perfect? thanks!
Old 02-05-09, 10:35 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was worried about the stock wiring when I upgraded my 2006 Civic to Chinese HID. Over two years now and no problems or indication of problems. Make sure you mount the hardware on solid ground. I mounted everything on the frame of the car. behind the bumper. My girlfriend drives the car daily. So I say don't worry about it.

I read that if you install aftermarket wires and relays, you are asking for trouble because the aftermarket parts are not as good as your stock relay & wires.

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 02-05-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 11:44 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just purchase a kit from a well established company... u get what u pay for.. so if u want to by a $30 HID kit from ebay.. dont expect it to last forever.
Old 02-06-09, 12:09 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I read that if you install aftermarket wires and relays, you are asking for trouble because the aftermarket parts are not as good as your stock relay & wires.
Eeeeeek!

Uh, blanket statements like this are not good. The wire harnesses that come with the MobileHID kits are quite robust.
Old 02-06-09, 01:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while i dont have an mobile hid kit, i do have a pair of the 6000K D4S bulbs that cliffud sells and they fire up no problem each time. side note hey the D4S bulbs are cheaper now!
Old 02-06-09, 07:25 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
That's funny, because virtually every resource I've read has recommended it. Better to be safe than sorry. Did you know that a ballast draws a hell of a lot of power initially? Use a relay.

Now about "brand name" hid kits. People always diss the ebay kits, but most of them work perfectly fine. And I have had a lot of experience with hid kits. (both cheap ebay and expensive). You pay for the customer service, and the fancy packaging. Many kits are produced from the same several factories in China, where they are relabeled by individual vendors and repackaged and sold for a huge markup. google DDM tuning and see how cheap their kits are. Abysmal customer service, shoddy looking packaging, but lifetime warranty on their ballasts. I have one of theirs and have had zero problems.

In the end, aftermarket is aftermarket.

When using an HID kit, please take added glare into consideration. Other drivers will thank you for it.
Old 02-06-09, 07:28 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock HIDs from the factory are best...
Old 02-06-09, 07:33 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
yup.. Though I will be retrofitting my non-hid equipped car with different projectors and lenses, I will never have the AFS system.
Old 02-06-09, 07:36 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

i paid $70 for 6,000k HID with a lifetime warranty. =] so if anything happens that isnt suppose to (faulty wires/light burned out/etc, etc....) i get a new kit free of charge.

it's flawless.
Old 02-06-09, 11:04 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

So basically there's no way to just do the Lexus bulbs safely? I plan on keeping my car a long time and don't want there to be any issue. I don't want to put some kit on there if it's not going to appear completely stock. Messing up the electrical system would really suck down the road...
Old 02-06-09, 02:17 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fleainat
So basically there's no way to just do the Lexus bulbs safely? I plan on keeping my car a long time and don't want there to be any issue. I don't want to put some kit on there if it's not going to appear completely stock. Messing up the electrical system would really suck down the road...
If you wanted to get as close as possible to the original HID setup, you could get the D4S Toyota ballasts that they use, along with a set of OEM D4S bulbs and a wiring harness to power the ballasts from the battery. There's also the problem of getting a D4s bulb to fit in your H11 projector. If you can notch it off and get it to fit, I suppose it will work.

Philips, Osram, or any of the other major OEM HID manufacturers do NOT make HID bulbs for H11, 9006, 9005, etc. All HID bulbs that are H11, etc. are rebased d2s/d1s/etc. These manufacturers DO NOT PRODUCE KITS EITHER.

http://www.mod-express.com/ProductDe...ode=PHILIPSKIT

This is NOT a genuine Philips kit. They don't produce rebased bulbs! And what is Philips 'Holland' anyway? It could be genuine ballasts, but the bulb...nah.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/4300k_Xeno...p/xd-4k-rb.htm
I think these guys rebase genuine Philips bulbs, but look at that price!

Anyway, sorry If i went off topic here, and hope this helps.
Old 02-06-09, 04:07 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ELL Y
If you wanted to get as close as possible to the original HID setup, you could get the D4S Toyota ballasts that they use, along with a set of OEM D4S bulbs and a wiring harness to power the ballasts from the battery. There's also the problem of getting a D4s bulb to fit in your H11 projector. If you can notch it off and get it to fit, I suppose it will work.

Philips, Osram, or any of the other major OEM HID manufacturers do NOT make HID bulbs for H11, 9006, 9005, etc. All HID bulbs that are H11, etc. are rebased d2s/d1s/etc. These manufacturers DO NOT PRODUCE KITS EITHER.

http://www.mod-express.com/ProductDe...ode=PHILIPSKIT

This is NOT a genuine Philips kit. They don't produce rebased bulbs! And what is Philips 'Holland' anyway? It could be genuine ballasts, but the bulb...nah.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/4300k_Xeno...p/xd-4k-rb.htm
I think these guys rebase genuine Philips bulbs, but look at that price!

Anyway, sorry If i went off topic here, and hope this helps.
Totally confused now. I'm looking for plug n play, but that's wishful thinking, right?
Old 02-06-09, 07:39 PM
LEXisJaDeM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fleainat
I feel the same, im still looking for an after market kit that wont give me problems in the long run. I used to have Xenith Xenons on my old integra and I had issues with flickering or a late fire up.
Old 02-06-09, 08:19 PM
highstakes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I agree. I was surprised to see the HID's are not standard on a Lexus, they were on my last car (Acura TSX, a car that was FAR cheaper) and if I wanted them on my IS350, I had to get it with some 5k+ package. I got the Xenon Depot 5k kit, and they get the job done...I am very happy with their product, and support. I did run into heavy condensation problem with my driver side headlight (not Xenon Depot's fault), and it keeps coming back even after I removed the condensation few times...cant take it back to the dealership because I voided my warranty. I am getting some silica gel packets and hoping that they will take care of this condensation problem. It would've been lot nicer/lot less hassle if the car came with HID's.

/rant
Old 02-06-09, 08:42 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by highstakes
I agree. I was surprised to see the HID's are not standard on a Lexus, they were on my last car (Acura TSX, a car that was FAR cheaper) and if I wanted them on my IS350, I had to get it with some 5k+ package. I got the Xenon Depot 5k kit, and they get the job done...I am very happy with their product, and support. I did run into heavy condensation problem with my driver side headlight (not Xenon Depot's fault), and it keeps coming back even after I removed the condensation few times...cant take it back to the dealership because I voided my warranty. I am getting some silica gel packets and hoping that they will take care of this condensation problem. It would've been lot nicer/lot less hassle if the car came with HID's.

/rant
Why do you get heavy condensation? Did you drill a 1" hole in each bulb access cover and wire the rubber grommet provided through it? On my vehicle, I get zero condensation even after foggy days and intense car washes. I am not sure how much moisture those silica gel packets are designed to remove, but it's probably not much before they need a replacement.

Quick Reply: Is there a completely safe HID conversion?