IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I went to the tire place today and they said...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 11:49 AM
strife
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I went to the tire place today and they said...

I recently purchased 07' IS250 with 37k miles.

Today, my tire guy said that my front brakes are almost completely gone and there's no doubt about that.

But he also said that luxury cars like Mercedes and Lexus use rotors that wears down with the break pads. So, I would have to change both break pads and the rotors. He quoted with $289 including the labor.

Does this sound right?
Old 02-05-09, 12:02 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

He could be right. I have 45k miles on my car, and my rotors are just about shot. I last changed my pads at 30k. It really depends on how the previous owner drove tho. I'm in bumper to bumper traffic a lot, and it kills my brakes, but someone who drives mainly highway with little traffic could potentially have their brakes last a lot longer. $289 sounds about right, front rotors and pads cost me roughly $260. Not too sure about luxury cars using softer rotors, but my dad's minivan has close to 100k and he has yet to need new rotors.
Old 02-05-09, 12:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you done the brake dust TSIB yet?

If not, call your dealer and say your 2007 Lexus IS, which is still under warranty, has excessive front brake dust, and you would like that fixed.

Voila, free brake pads.
Old 02-05-09, 12:28 PM
strife
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kurtz

If not, call your dealer and say your 2007 Lexus IS, which is still under warranty, has excessive front brake dust, and you would like that fixed.

Voila, free brake pads.
Can i call any Lexus dealer for this? The dealer I bought the car from is super ghetto. It's a private dealer and they don't even do financing. When I mentioned the brake issue, they didn't want anything to do with it.
Old 02-05-09, 12:37 PM
i2IS
Pole Position

Yes you can call local Lexus dealer to have it fixed
Old 02-05-09, 01:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Voila, free brake pads.
They may not go for this. We've seen posts where the dealer denies the TSIB because the pads are worn down too far. The TSIB covers things just like a warranty issue, BUT, the warranty excludes replacements due to normal wear and tear.

Brake dust aside, if your brake pads went bad after 3,000 miles, the dealer would replace them under warranty--they shouldn't do that. But if you have 40,000, it's wear and tear.
Old 02-05-09, 01:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Eh, that argument still makes little sense to me in regards to the brake dust TSIB.

They're throwing the old pads away, it's not like they need to be in good enough shape to use again on another car.

Essentially it'd just be punishing a guy who didn't read about the TSIB for a while.

Hence why my advice to anyone whose dealer tries that is to try another dealer.

We've certainly had far more stories of people with lotsa miles (still under warranty) who got the TSIB done than we have people who were denied it for mileage.

The TSIB states it applies anytime during the vehicle warranty period after all.
Old 02-05-09, 01:42 PM
strife
Rookie

Okay, so I found two TSIBs regarding the break... the excess dust and the squeak noise ones.

So when I walk into the dealer.. what do I exactly tell them?

Links to the TSIBs..
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/19...t+Brake+Squeak
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/19...ake+Dust+Issue
Old 02-05-09, 02:02 PM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Well my input on this is...The pad surface is softer than the rotor surface..Lexus and euro cars dont put on a different type of material for rotors that wear faster but install rotors with low runout tolerance for machining. More so with the euro cars than the Lexus. The rotor surface will usally deform with heat as the pads wear into them, then actually wear them down...remember the pads wear and rotors surface develops imperfections as the brakes wear down..Their is no standing rule that you "have to replace rotors" with a set of brake pads. I would ask for a rotor resuface if the tolerance are still within specs. Ask for a measurement. or go somewhere else..here is the specs for your front rotors Minimum 25.0 mm (0.983 inch)min machine to. Get a second opinion

Last edited by jns350; 02-05-09 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 02:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by strife
Okay, so I found two TSIBs regarding the break... the excess dust and the squeak noise ones.

So when I walk into the dealer.. what do I exactly tell them?

Links to the TSIBs..
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/19...t+Brake+Squeak
http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/19...ake+Dust+Issue
I'd go with the dust one, you get the low dust pads that way, and they can't try to blame any squeeking on the wear of the system like they might with the other one.
Old 02-05-09, 03:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you know that the previous owner didn't already do the TSIB for dusty brakes, and the fact that the newer ones are harder than the stock ones (less dusty) that is part of the reason your rotors are worn down?

I have a hard time justifying taking a car with 37k miles on it and claiming that the dusty pads are now bothering you. It may be within the letter of the TSIB, but just between owners here we all know it is being unethical. The TSIB is there to replace pads when an owner complains about the dust; it's purpose is not to supply a FREE pad replacement after the first set is worn out in normal use. We know there is a difference. Man up and pay to get the pads replaced as a normal wear and tear item.
Old 02-05-09, 04:37 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

did u get the TSIB done yet? if not, head to the dealer!
Old 02-05-09, 04:40 PM
strife
Rookie

I just returned from the dealer.. The service manager told me that if the break pads are worn out, they won't be replacing them for me. I'm going in tomorrow for inspection. I will see what they say... *cross fingers*
Old 02-05-09, 05:13 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how people complain about the dealer trying to rip (or ripping) them off, but it's all good to try to rip the dealer off.

Blow your engine up because you turned the boost controller too high on stock turbos? No problem! Return it to stock form and try to take it back to the dealer to warranty it!

Need new brake pads after normal wear and tear? No problem! Complain about a nonexistent issue in an attempt to get the dealer to cover your next set!

Can't spell brake pads? Well...the dealer can't help you there.
Old 02-05-09, 05:22 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by strife
I just returned from the dealer.. The service manager told me that if the break pads are worn out, they won't be replacing them for me. I'm going in tomorrow for inspection. I will see what they say... *cross fingers*
If you're gonna change pads and rotors at the dealer then you better take some lube with you

Quick Reply: So I went to the tire place today and they said...