IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So I went to the tire place today and they said...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 08:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
I love how people complain about the dealer trying to rip (or ripping) them off, but it's all good to try to rip the dealer off.

Blow your engine up because you turned the boost controller too high on stock turbos? No problem! Return it to stock form and try to take it back to the dealer to warranty it!

Need new brake pads after normal wear and tear? No problem! Complain about a nonexistent issue in an attempt to get the dealer to cover your next set!

Can't spell brake pads? Well...the dealer can't help you there.

He -just- purchased the car.

It's not like -he- ran the pads down for 37k miles and now justt decided doesn't like the pads.

Hence it's entirely reasonable to give the TSIB a shot before paying out his own $.

Your analogy of blowing the motor from a turbo versus asking for a 100% valid TSIB is pretty poor.

When the dealer wants $250 to install sway bars (which I then did myself with a friend in an hour), or $100 for a non-synthetic oil change, I'm not gonna feel too bad telling someone they can, legit, get a free pad change that costs the dealer $0.00 since it's under warranty.
Old 02-05-09, 10:44 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilocke
I love how people complain about the dealer trying to rip (or ripping) them off, but it's all good to try to rip the dealer off.

Blow your engine up because you turned the boost controller too high on stock turbos? No problem! Return it to stock form and try to take it back to the dealer to warranty it!

Need new brake pads after normal wear and tear? No problem! Complain about a nonexistent issue in an attempt to get the dealer to cover your next set!

Can't spell brake pads? Well...the dealer can't help you there.
Damn...take it easy killer
Old 02-06-09, 01:36 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main reason why a dealer may not want to do a service warranty for a brake job is porbably because they want to charge you for it. remember that when they do warranty work they still get paid at a fixed rate for the job by lexus corporate. However, they usually make more money when people pay to get jobs done, hence some dealerships who may not be quite as honest might try to weasel their way out of doing the TSIB and try to charge the customer for it. i say have as much info as possible before going in for work.
Old 02-06-09, 02:03 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Psssh. Those of you who said $200 something to get new rotors/pads: Are you talking about the price of the parts, or with labor. If both..certainly not from a lexus dealer right? I recall mine (at about 40k) cost quuiiiiite a bit more.

I was told by local reputable places that I can only have it done at lexus because it only takes their pads/rotors or whatever, I can't remember. It leads me to explore options of aftermarket braking systems (performance, better than stock) that might be worth it to merely change the pads themselves. Or do all high end braking systems tend to wear the rotors as well, thus always costing quite a bit after some time?
Old 02-06-09, 04:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patrick323

I was told by local reputable places that I can only have it done at lexus because it only takes their pads/rotors or whatever, I can't remember. It leads me to explore options of aftermarket braking systems (performance, better than stock) that might be worth it to merely change the pads themselves. Or do all high end braking systems tend to wear the rotors as well, thus always costing quite a bit after some time?

Then you were lied to.

There's no reason anybody with half a clue can't replace brake parts. Including yourself if you just mean pads, it's pretty easy.

Lexus does sell parts to the public after all.

And unless you're tracking the car you won't get any better "performance" out of aftermarket parts (and often worse service life if you think "drilled" rotors are performance parts)
Old 02-06-09, 12:48 PM
strife
Rookie

I just came back from the dealer with brand new brake pads and a free car wash!!! woot!!!

Apparently I really had issues with brake dust and squeaky noise.

THANKS A LOT KURTZ!!! You rock! One day I will name my son after you!
Old 02-06-09, 01:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You're most welcome
Old 02-06-09, 03:21 PM
plynn_250
Driver School Candidate

My pads were gone at 37,000 miles (squeeling indicators) and I made a dealership appointment for replacement. They quoted me some ridiculous price for pad replacement, $280 I think. I went ahead and took it in and they replaced them free under warranty. I was shocked when they told me I didnt have to pay for it. I guess different dealerships have different policies on this.
Old 02-06-09, 07:17 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

just tell em your rotors are warping and you want the TSB brake pad. need New pads and rotors? DONE. free warranty work