IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

235/35/19 and 285/30/19 rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 08:18 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by passnu2
I would have kept the 285 tire since you where going to lower. the negative camber would have taken care of this slight rub you had.

for the front you shouldnt need anything more then 5mm to clear the OEM calipers. Bolt on will require 15mm or more and may look funny with the rear.

I say go back to the 285 tire and drop the car 1" or more and it will look good and work.
Currently the universal spacer on the car is 8mm and barely clears the front calipers (mostly the right side, the left is not as bad. weird) so I was going to go with a 10mm hubcentric spacer in the front just to be safe.

Do you really think if i lower it 1" the rears will fit a 285? It looked SICK with those tires!!! Really beefy.

I would hate to put on that tire just to have it rub when I take the car out for some spirited driving, possibly damaging the car or tire, or both. Also, wont the negative camber cause the inside of the tires to wear much faster?

I used to have a Supra and had to use washers to get the camber corrected so the tires didnt wear out on the inside.
Old 02-02-09, 08:23 PM
neova
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) You can get a 10mm Wheel adapter from Project KICS or the Ichiba TypeII. Both have built-in studs and uses smaller lugnuts to install the wheel adaptor to the OEM hub. The project KICS wheel adapter is not hub-centric (OEM hub to adaptor) since they do not make hub-centric adaptors until you hit 15mm or higher. I currently run 10mm fronts and 15mm rear on the OEM x-package rims for 2 years now, no problems as long as you properly tighten everything down.

As for using 15mm spacer for the fronts it would give you an 25 offset on a 8.5" wheel which would stick out too far. Remember the front wheels turn, so you should also put into consideration whether the tire would rub when you are turning and the suspension compresses. If the wheels are flushed with the fenders when going straight, it will definitely rub when you corner. Unless you add some negative camber to the point where the front wheels are tucked inside the fender to clear it while under load, you are probably going to need a narrower tire to clear the fender with a +25 8.5" wide rim. But too much negative camber will give you crap handling and result in uneven tread wear...

2) Your 275's look "crap" on a 10 inch wheel because that's a bit on the narrow side for a wheel this wide Usually 275's are shod on 9'5" wheel and the perfect size is for a 10" wheel is 285. Go look up the tire manufacture's specs under "measured wheel width" and it will tell you which wheel width they used to design the tire for.

Something tells me that the set of wheels you have wasn't customzied for your IS and tire application. There are guys on this site that had fitted 295/30R19's in the back on 10.5" wheels on lowered suspension and without fender mods, you just have to get the offset and disk face right.

cheers
Old 02-02-09, 08:29 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neova
1) You can get a 10mm Wheel adapter from Project KICS or the Ichiba TypeII. Both have built-in studs and uses smaller lugnuts to install the wheel adaptor to the OEM hub. The project KICS wheel adapter is not hub-centric (OEM hub to adaptor) since they do not make hub-centric adaptors until you hit 15mm or higher. I currently run 10mm fronts and 15mm rear on the OEM x-package rims for 2 years now, no problems as long as you properly tighten everything down.

As for using 15mm spacer for the fronts it would give you an 25 offset on a 8.5" wheel which would stick out too far. Remember the front wheels turn, so you should also put into consideration whether the tire would rub when you are turning and the suspension compresses. If the wheels are flushed with the fenders when going straight, it will definitely rub when you corner. Unless you add some negative camber to the point where the front wheels are tucked inside the fender to clear it while under load, you are probably going to need a narrower tire to clear the fender with a +25 8.5" wide rim. But too much negative camber will give you crap handling and result in uneven tread wear...

2) Your 275's look "crap" on a 10 inch wheel because that's a bit on the narrow side for a wheel this wide Usually 275's are shod on 9'5" wheel and the perfect size is for a 10" wheel is 285. Go look up the tire manufacture's specs under "measured wheel width" and it will tell you which wheel width they used to design the tire for.

Something tells me that the set of wheels you have wasn't customzied for your IS and tire application. There are guys on this site that had fitted 295/30R19's in the back on 10.5" wheels on lowered suspension and without fender mods, you just have to get the offset and disk face right.

cheers
What is a decent priced wheel that I can get that will clear the calipers and sit correctly without breaking the bank? I obviously am stuck with these wheels now as I doubt they are going to let me return them. I would prefer something in black or gunmetal. Easier to take care of in the Seattle weather.

As for swapping tires to a 285, thats easy to accomplish since my friend works for the tire store and will swap them without question.
Old 02-03-09, 02:28 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Ordered H&R 10mm hubcentric spacers for the front. Hopefully that ixes the fronts. If not, the wheel store said they will order me another set of wheels no questions asked.
Old 02-03-09, 02:54 PM
moo_juice
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholasg
Ordered H&R 10mm hubcentric spacers for the front. Hopefully that ixes the fronts. If not, the wheel store said they will order me another set of wheels no questions asked.
just stay away from them curbs until then haha