IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2009 Navigation Disk, no override needed?

Old 01-26-09, 06:20 AM
Gator Alum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Navigation Disk, no override needed?

I have heard that you are allowed to enter destinations and use the phone book with the new 2009 Navigation Disk. Is this correct?

Also, is the wiring any different to the navigation unit? Could I buy the disk and install it to be able to enter destinations while driving or would I still need to complete the bypass by cutting wires in the back?

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 01-26-09, 07:19 AM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would be very surprised if they ever remove the lockout.

in another thread somewhere someone mentioned having a 2009 and the nav was basically exactly the same, with the lockout.
Old 01-26-09, 07:41 AM
Dirtywater
Driver School Candidate

No, still locked out, unless you do it via the Voice option. What they did change (and I could be wrong about this not being in the '08 version, it's only what the dealer told me) is that you no longer need to press 'OK' after the "drive safe, yada, yada, yada" thing. It just goes away on it's own after 5 seconds or so. In fact there is no 'OK' button hit.
Old 01-26-09, 08:31 AM
Aegee14
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dirtywater
No, still locked out, unless you do it via the Voice option. What they did change (and I could be wrong about this not being in the '08 version, it's only what the dealer told me) is that you no longer need to press 'OK' after the "drive safe, yada, yada, yada" thing. It just goes away on it's own after 5 seconds or so. In fact there is no 'OK' button hit.
That is true regarding the '08 navigations. I have an '08 and there is no "OK" button when you start the car. You just have to wait about 3-5 seconds for the warning sign to go away.
Old 01-26-09, 02:50 PM
Dirtywater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aegee14
That is true regarding the '08 navigations. I have an '08 and there is no "OK" button when you start the car. You just have to wait about 3-5 seconds for the warning sign to go away.
Then I think that the only change is that when you input address, etc. via voice, you no longer have to wait between inputs (like number, state, city, etc.), you can just say them at once, or press past the instructions to say it via voice if that makes sense.
Old 01-26-09, 05:39 PM
Gator Alum
Driver

From the sounds of it, I was mis-informed... Thanks for the input
Old 01-26-09, 06:55 PM
johnch
Driver School Candidate

The lockout feature is absolutely asinine. I don’t need Lexus playing big brother to me. I know when to safely use the navigation and phone while driving and it’s certainly safe for my passenger to do so! They should at the very least tie in the airbag sensor for the passenger seat with the nav and phone so it won’t be locked out when a passenger is present.

In any case, I wait for the day when I have to pull off the road, with passenger, in a bad neighborhood just to check directions or use the phone and meet with trouble. Lexus thinks they’re protecting themselves from liability with their current lock-out programming but that decision may lead to another liability case.

JohnCh
Old 01-28-09, 09:28 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by johnch
In any case, I wait for the day when I have to pull off the road, with passenger, in a bad neighborhood just to check directions or use the phone and meet with trouble. Lexus thinks they’re protecting themselves from liability with their current lock-out programming but that decision may lead to another liability case.

JohnCh
The lockout only affects the touchscreen, you can still enter a destination or dial the phone while in motion by using the voice recognition feature.

I'm not a fan of the big brother mentality either, but I doubt that a court would find Lexus liable if someone was carjacked while pulled over making a phone call.
Old 01-28-09, 10:20 AM
mrcheerio
Pole Position

yeh you cant make a call or enter POI's etc while driving with the 09s