IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Desintation Entry Switch for '08 and newer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 05:43 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desintation Entry Switch for '08 and newer

I want to start off by saying I have already read: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-the-is.html

I'm wondering where people installed the destination entry switch on 08 or newer IS's? The reason I ask is b/c all of the panels on the left side of the steering wheel/dash are actually used. I plan on doing the manual nav hack so the plug and play unit is not an option..

Also, is there a better switch than?: http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45
Old 01-22-09, 12:34 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can always put to the side of the center console. tomorrow when there is more light ill take a pic of where mine is. i didnt have anything in those two slots, but have a display there, so mine had to be relocated also.
Old 01-22-09, 05:48 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

What switches are occupying those three slots? If one is the coin holder, I would just remove it and replace it with the linked switch.

The switch you linked to is the closest to an OEM type switch. You can use any switch you desire as long as it has an open and closed connection.

I used the linked switch and an empty slot by the coin holder. It is very factory and clean.
Old 01-22-09, 06:58 AM
VTLexus
Driver

The three switches are the rear windshield curtain, headlight washers, and coin holder. I'd rather not remove the coin holder if I don't have to. I'm also a little hesitant b/c i'm not exactly sure how to get behind there.

to do the install of the switch on the side of the center console, does that require cutting/drilling the existing panel?
Old 01-22-09, 07:13 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VTLexus
The three switches are the rear windshield curtain, headlight washers, and coin holder. I'd rather not remove the coin holder if I don't have to. I'm also a little hesitant b/c i'm not exactly sure how to get behind there.

to do the install of the switch on the side of the center console, does that require cutting/drilling the existing panel?
I would suggest removing the coin holder as it is pretty useless. It can only hold about a $1.25 if you only place quarters in it. The coins rattle unless they are jambed in there.

You will most likely have to cut some where if you do not use that location.

You can remove the entire panel then remove just the coin holder. It's very difficult just to remove one of the panels w/o removing the entire panel first. I used trial and error to find this out, leaving a indentation on the panel itself. You can also pull the side portion of the dash out, held only w/ clips, to access the rear of the panel. You can then push out the smaller inserts from the back.

Again the linked switch looks factory and fits w/ a bit of trimming of the outer panel. Here's a pic of mine. I had two open spot and the coin holder. I elected to use the blank and keep the coin holder as it does serve a purpose, not very well, but a purpose. I also moved the coin holder to the center spot so that I could keep the unmarked switch a bit hidden and closer to reach.

Old 01-22-09, 07:26 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also recommend removing the coin holder. It is pretty easy to take out and you can always put it back if you decide to sell the car. If you try to put the switch somewhere else you'll have to drill and cut... and there is no undoing of that.