IS250 Retrofit in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-09, 09:27 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Default IS250 Retrofit in Progress

Hey Hey Hey!

**************SOME EXAMPLE OUTPUT PICTURES OF THE RETRO ON PAGE TWO.
**************MORE PICTURES AT THE END OF PAGE SIX
**************MORE PICTURES ON PAGE SEVEN. RETROFIT WITH BLACK HOUSING

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to throw out there.

I was attempting a retrofit on my IS250 by using the IS250 lense part of the projector and the RX330 bowl. I modified the RX bowl to get it to fit flush on the IS projector.

More likely I may not go with this route because I am also working with another combo set up for my IS that is better than this (I will make a new thread on that when I am done with it). I just wanted to share what I was doing with my headlights with the IS community.

This retrofit is definately more expensive than a set of bulbs but I think its worth it.

Modified RX projector; reflector bowl half

IS AFS HID Projector; lense half

Both put together

Last edited by mahcah; 01-17-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 09:36 PM
mahcah
Racer

Here are some output pictures of the IS/RX combo I made. The brightness and output is better than the stock HID system on the IS. Again I am currently working on a better combo/retrofit that is significantly better than this, and I will post results when I am done.

The width of this projector is wider than stock. vvvvvv

Here is some of the cutoff vvvvvv

Color at the cutoff. Note: the stock IS HID projectors does not produce this color; its more of a yellowish color. vvvvvv

Last shot. Note the intense foreground lighting vvvvvv

Part of my car just for kicks. I know I need a drop. That's coming up vvvvvv

I never really introduced myself here. I lurk around alot. So far I really like CL!

Last edited by mahcah; 01-14-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 09:54 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Macah
I'm more a regular here than I am on the HIDPlanet forums, and I've subscribed (bookmarked) your thread.
I hope that you would be willing to help answer some of my questions as my own retrofit gets underway...

Tentatively, I am planning on SC430/E30s or SC430/TSX-R mounted in halogen housings (since my car did not come HID stock).

Good to see a retrofitter! I was inspired by Tchan1's thread a while back to begin this, and I hope to have my first retrofit done within a few months.
Old 01-14-09, 10:03 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Hey Macah
I'm more a regular here than I am on the HIDPlanet forums, and I've subscribed (bookmarked) your thread.
I hope that you would be willing to help answer some of my questions as my own retrofit gets underway...

Tentatively, I am planning on SC430/E30s or SC430/TSX-R mounted in halogen housings (since my car did not come HID stock).

Good to see a retrofitter! I was inspired by Tchan1's thread a while back to begin this, and I hope to have my first retrofit done within a few months.

No problem. I would like to help! The SC/e30 was a combo I was going for but as I read and looked more and more on the custom shields for the RX330's with E30's, I fell in love more and more with the killer intensity and output it yielded. You should consider the RX/e30/custom shield. Dont get me wrong; the SC/e30 is definately a great combo but the RX/e30/custom shield surpasses that. Im really excited about the RX combo more than the SC.

When I did the SC's in the IS headlight. I modified the SC projector alot. It was painful to do such with a really nice projector such as the SC430 but whatever do to to make a retrofit work properly right?
Old 01-14-09, 10:11 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen very promising results with the RX330 with modified shields that JVX did, and it seems like the forums have fallen in love with them as well.
I may perhaps make the switch if I can find a set of those projectors cheaply, since SCs are pretty costly.
However, I was turned off by the daunting task of a modified shield
Old 01-14-09, 10:15 PM
mahcah
Racer

Just purchase a set from Greenkouki. He charges cheaper than JVX. Mine should come in later this week or early next week. Im so excited!

SC's run about 200- 250 and RX's are about 80 bucks a pair. Plus about 20-40 for custom shields for the RX's= better deal than SC's. And the output is sooooooooooo yummy with the e30's!
Old 01-14-09, 10:20 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

mahcah
you are ruining me here! I will take my questions to PM, so that it doesn't look like I am hijacking your thread
Old 01-14-09, 10:22 PM
mahcah
Racer

No no no its fine I really dont mind. just go ahead and post and ask here until further due. Just ask away.
Old 01-14-09, 10:34 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Hmm does it matter if I get the NON afs or AFS model of the Rx330 projector? Anything else I should look out for? I just recently bought an SC430 headlight for 100 bucks, so I was thinking of completing the set, but maybe not!
How are the dimensions of the RX? Do they fit well?
I'll give you more details about my progress so far (though very little): I'm in the process of buying two halogen headlights as project lights, which I hope to paint black and retrofit a set of projectors with 55W DDM ballasts and 85122+ bulbs. So far, I'm still gathering materials, but am constantly doing research to gain confidence!

Do you have an AIM screenname or something? There are so few 2IS retrofitters (I think JVX is one, but I bet he's inundated anyway)

Man, thinking about doing a retrofit just makes me salivate. My 6k HID Kit is a POS. If i showed you output pictures, you'd call me a ricer for sure.
I prefer AFS. SC headlight for 100? Not bad at all man. The RX's are shorther in length thus making retrofit easier than the SC's. The IS headlight has very very limited space to do a retro. Good idea to get another set of headlights. Thats what I did and so im able to have my car with my headlights instead of putting my IS out of commission; you can take your time then. Your materials you have so far will be suffice thus far with your project; you are going in the right direction. Keep doing the research.

I dont really go on aim but we can comunicate here.
Old 01-14-09, 10:41 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I see. I will see which ones I can get a hold of. Maybe even get them all and just play around with them until I get a good combination.

Tchan1 posted this a while back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2is-maybe.html
I recently discovered that thread, and decided that HID kits are not the way to go, period.

How did you get the stock shrouds to fit the SC430s? I heard that was a problem (at least with the 3" projectors...not sure if shrouds are diff sizes)
What other modifications did you have to do to the SCs besides swapping and perhaps spacing the E30s?

Last edited by ELL Y; 01-14-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 10:47 PM
mahcah
Racer

I have seen his thread months ago and I was inspired by it. Retrofitting is so much better in many ways, esp for the ISx50.

I had to cut the IS shroud smaller and cut a slit inorder to stretch it around the RX projector. I just positioned the slit at the bottom of the projector so that any no one could barely see it. Its hardly noticeable when everything is put together with the chrome housing.
Old 01-14-09, 10:51 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

WOW, you really know whot yur doin! thass wassop!
Old 01-14-09, 10:52 PM
mahcah
Racer

At least I hope I know what I am doing haha
Old 01-14-09, 10:52 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good. Be sure to keep us updated on your progress. I will probably periodically ask more questions as I get around to the actual retrofitting

I say you make a DIY ! haha
Old 01-14-09, 10:53 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

nice! what part of texas are you from? I want to see your lights in person.

Quick Reply: IS250 Retrofit in Progress