IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250/350 Remote Start Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 06:44 AM
NICKY V
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IS250/350 Remote Start Options

Newbie here, looking to buy an 09 250 or 350 (most probably 350) in the Spring.

I'm finding this site very informative, but have seen nothing so far relating to remote starters. I know it's not an option (which I find very hard to believe), but is there a possibilty of an after market remote starter that won't affect the warranty? Any experiences out there?
Old 01-06-09, 08:18 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I'd be interested to know about this.
Old 01-06-09, 08:20 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

most likely, it will affect the warranty.
Old 01-06-09, 10:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do a search- there's a fairly detailed thread on exactly what you need to do it in the aftermarket.

It'll "affect" your warranty the same way any aftermarket part will- if THAT part causes a problem they won't fix it for free. Otherwise no change at all.
Old 01-07-09, 09:47 AM
Feirax
Driver

I know passnu2 has a remote start, I have one as well. See this thread for details.

I went with an aftermarket installer, but this past winter I received an add from my local Lexus dealer offering remote start installed for $399. I would have went with the dealer installed version if they offered a better range. Good luck and welcome to CL
Old 01-07-09, 10:03 AM
NICKY V
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Feirax
I know passnu2 has a remote start, I have one as well. See this thread for details.

I went with an aftermarket installer, but this past winter I received an add from my local Lexus dealer offering remote start installed for $399. I would have went with the dealer installed version if they offered a better range. Good luck and welcome to CL
So a Lexus dealer will do an install? I would assume then that the warranty would not be affected. And the price is not outrageous. Sounds encouraging.
Old 01-07-09, 10:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC the toyota remote start units (which I'd expect the dealer would use if they're claiming your factory warranty covers it) will turn your car off again when you open the door...which seems a bit annoying. The aftermarket solutions can avoid that.
Old 01-07-09, 04:39 PM
draglao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NICKY V
So a Lexus dealer will do an install? I would assume then that the warranty would not be affected. And the price is not outrageous. Sounds encouraging.
I just got an 09 and the dealership is telling me that I have to wait until there's an aftermarket kit for the starter. Not sure if I believe them or not but all I can do is wait.

Does anybody with an 09 has a remote starter? I know older years its possible.

And for the warranty. I can't see how it would void the warranty especially if the dealer is offering to install them.

$399 seems like a steal. Its over a $1000 including install here in Canada.
Old 01-07-09, 08:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ ouch that is expensive.

This will work with all push start Lexus models. I have had mine for a few months now and not one issue with mine Most dealers will offer this as a service to make $$ but they may not back up the work for warranty. They will outsource the work to someone. You are better to just go to the source direct and someone you know you can trust to do quality work.
Old 01-08-09, 08:36 AM
Feirax
Driver

Lexus of Northborough in MA is the one that I received the offer from. My guess is they found some aftermarket installer to do their work. Like Kurtz mentioned, if you do find a dealer that does the install make sure the car doesn't shut-off when you unlock it. Good luck.
Old 01-12-09, 03:35 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by NICKY V
Newbie here, looking to buy an 09 250 or 350 (most probably 350) in the Spring.

I'm finding this site very informative, but have seen nothing so far relating to remote starters. I know it's not an option (which I find very hard to believe), but is there a possibilty of an after market remote starter that won't affect the warranty? Any experiences out there?
Call all your local dealers and ask if they do it. They won't be the ones doing it b/c it's not a manufacturer mod, but they will most likely have a 3rd party aftermarket company do it. I know of at least one dealer in the DC area that does it, but the others recommended aftermarket companies. Don't go through the dealer, they are gonna add a premium to the price.
Old 01-12-09, 07:24 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VTLexus
Call all your local dealers and ask if they do it. They won't be the ones doing it b/c it's not a manufacturer mod, but they will most likely have a 3rd party aftermarket company do it. I know of at least one dealer in the DC area that does it, but the others recommended aftermarket companies. Don't go through the dealer, they are gonna add a premium to the price.
Thanks for this. I'm in the DC area and picked up my 2008 IS 350 last Friday. I'd like to get a remote start put in too. So if I understand you correctly, you're saying to call around the local Lexus dealers and talk to them, figure out who they will get it done through (since it's not something they do), and then reach out to them directly.
Old 01-12-09, 07:33 PM
VTLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by srizvi1
Thanks for this. I'm in the DC area and picked up my 2008 IS 350 last Friday. I'd like to get a remote start put in too. So if I understand you correctly, you're saying to call around the local Lexus dealers and talk to them, figure out who they will get it done through (since it's not something they do), and then reach out to them directly.
Pohanka will do it, and they quoted me $599, but I doubt they will tell you who they go through, b/c you can then just bypass the dealer. Silver Spring gave me a number of a company and I think the Alexandria dealer also gave me a shop name. Just call all the local dealers, ask, and see what happens. I'm curious of your experience so post back here or message me with what happens, since I am considering getting this done as well.
Old 01-12-09, 08:06 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VTLexus
Pohanka will do it, and they quoted me $599, but I doubt they will tell you who they go through, b/c you can then just bypass the dealer. Silver Spring gave me a number of a company and I think the Alexandria dealer also gave me a shop name. Just call all the local dealers, ask, and see what happens. I'm curious of your experience so post back here or message me with what happens, since I am considering getting this done as well.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. As a matter of fact, Silver Spring is who I bought the car from. I have to go back there in a few days for the initial walkthrough (I just grabbed my car and ran on Friday because I was in a hurry) so maybe I can ask then? While I'm there.

I should warn you that I am passively looking to get this done. My top priority right now is the Navi Hack and using my 2g iPod Touch 32gb w/ my non-ML Nav (in motion if the Navi Hack goes well). I expect to pay a few hundred for the SoundLinQ2 (SL2Vi) I need, but am preparing myself to spend some more money to have a dealer do this hack and install for me if I can't figure it out (I'm not really too handy).

If that happens, I may hold off on the remote start for later.
Old 01-12-09, 08:18 PM
VTLexus
Driver

I am actually in the exact same boat. I want to do the iphone video mod on my non-ML first, but i got stuck trying to remove the AC vents, and haven't tried in a few months. i actually wanted to do the nav hack manually, and then install that ipod video adapater. Can you let me know if you find a dealer that will install it for you, and how much they charge you?

Quick Reply: IS250/350 Remote Start Options